DSC01905_zps8134be71.jpg
congo.jpg
DSC01317.jpg
11369275_gal.jpg
11383111_gal.jpg
congo_pgFL1.jpg
CONGO_FL1.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Recently picked up a high-end Congo restoration. Really love the cabinet and PF artwork, but really don't like the translite. Contacted John Hanson (fellow pinhead/artists) and planted a few ideas and he came up with the following. Amy the ape looks awesome, not goofy! Hope it strikes a chord with Congo owners! He will have them up on eBay for sale fairly soon.

CONGO_FL1.jpgCONGO_FL1.jpg congo_pgFL1.jpgcongo_pgFL1.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Top one, I like a lot.

2nd one....funny, but not something I'd put on my game.

....if I owned a Congo, that is.

Pete

#3 11 years ago

The first one looks really good! I may be picking up a CONGO soon. The rest of the pin looks great. I just dont like the translight. I might be interested in one of these.

#4 11 years ago

I am getting a Congo as well and the top one is very cool.

#5 11 years ago

Top one is great, bottom one is kinda silly.

#6 11 years ago

put me on the list for the top one...

#7 11 years ago

The top translight is really nice. I would just change the font, maybe to letters that look as if they are crumbling to tie into the ruins of the civilization. The ones pictured give a modern look. The last translite is not my style.

#8 11 years ago

Center the letters over the top, or start from top to bottom its easier on the eye.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

Center the letters over the top, or start from top to bottom its easier on the eye.

Now that I look at it again those are good suggestions.

#10 11 years ago

The top translight is really nice. I would just change the font, maybe to letters that look as if they are crumbling to tie into the ruins of the civilization. The ones pictured give a modern look. The last translite is not my style.

#11 11 years ago

Just saw these on ebay. Alternate translites are not my thing, but for those interested here is the listing. I'd be interested to know if anybody buys that 2nd one....

ebay.com link: CONGO Pinball Machine Alternate Translite 2 Versions

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

Glad you like it. The font and many of the idea's come from this poster:

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/poster/551/Congo-movie-poster.html

At this point, I think John considers it "done" (and doesn't plan on making any changes).

The second translite is obviously more of a "goof"...

snaroff

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The font and many of the idea's come from this poster:

Looks like at least a 85% copy and paste job to me but does look nice.

#14 11 years ago

For me it's Bruce Campbell or nothing!

11383111_gal.jpg11383111_gal.jpg 11369275_gal.jpg11369275_gal.jpg

#15 11 years ago

The first one looks cool, and I'd probably be in for one, but why change the movie logo? Trying to make people forget what actually inspired this awesome pin?

#16 11 years ago

Top one great for the pinball machine.

Bottom great for the player.

Go Bruce Go. Likable guy same smooth but off humor in person.

#17 11 years ago

top one looks really good.

Bottom one made me laugh.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

The first one looks cool, and I'd probably be in for one, but why change the movie logo? Trying to make people forget what actually inspired this awesome pin?

Movie logo wasn't changed. Almost all the images are directly from an official Congo poster...http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/poster/551/Congo-movie-poster.html

#19 11 years ago

Movie logo wasn't changed. Almost all the images are directly from an official Congo poster...http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/poster/551/Congo-movie-poster.html

Eh?

DSC01317.jpgDSC01317.jpg congo.jpgcongo.jpg

#20 11 years ago

The toys use the same logo as the translight, (as does my DVD):

DSC01905_zps8134be71.jpgDSC01905_zps8134be71.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Is the movie as bad as everyone says? Saw it along time ago and liked it until they mowed them all down with assault rifles in the end

#22 11 years ago

I understand it's different from the original translite. If you click on the link I forwarded, you'd see what I'm talking about. The Congo text in this alternate translite are lifted from the official poster from the movie.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I understand it's different from the original translite. If you click on the link I forwarded, you'd see what I'm talking about. The Congo text in this alternate translite are lifted from the official poster from the movie.

Don't get me wrong, it looks gorgeous (and better). I'm just used to the current logo. I am still trying to come to terms with the rainbow coloring of the original 'Bad Gorilla'.

#24 11 years ago

The bottom one is awesome! Makes me want to buy Congo!

#25 11 years ago

The translite on Congo is interactive with the lighting behind it. If you changed your translite to the 1st one here for instance, you'd lose out on the pulsing effect of medallion in the bottom middle of the translite, the volcano erupting and more. I wouldn't have paid any amount of money to put that on my Congo, it's not for me.

#26 11 years ago

First one appears to be a good alternative for Congo owners. Thanks for looking into it and posting the info for us.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The translite on Congo is interactive with the lighting behind it. If you changed your translite to the 1st one here for instance, you'd lose out on the pulsing effect of medallion in the bottom middle of the translite, the volcano erupting and more. I wouldn't have paid any amount of money to put that on my Congo, it's not for me.

We will see. I ordered the top one. It has a medallion also. The flasher can be relocated. The volcano erupting will be harder but to be honest I never see that when playing the game anyway. My volcano mods are so much nicer on the PF.

#28 11 years ago

I like them both, first and second. Obviously I like the second for other reasons that the first. Its a nice theme to do art for with all the animals and jungles so I think most Congo art is cool. The original backglass isnt too bad, probably just the goofy expression on the gorillas face and the bad movie likenesses that dont cut it for some people.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Medieval_Gofers:

I like them both, first and second. Obviously I like the second for other reasons that the first. Its a nice theme to do art for with all the animals and jungles so I think most Congo art is cool. The original backglass isnt too bad, probably just the goofy expression on the gorillas face and the bad movie likenesses that dont cut it for some people.

Glad you like them! My problem with the original backglass was two-fold:

- Too busy in general. The alternate is more focused on a small handful of cool images.
- The characters look goofy. The alternate de-emphasizes the characters.

The only image I like in the original is the emerald ring/medallion.

I've actually never seen the movie, but like the pinball a lot. Will be interesting to see how it looks on the pinball...should get one in the next week or so. Will post pictures when I do.

Happy to see these strike a chord with many of you!

#30 11 years ago

1st one is better imo, rather see a white/latin chick on the 2nd one. either way, still much better than the original. i like alternative backglasses.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

The toys use the same logo as the translight, (as does my DVD):

Promotional artwork for films differs greatly between release date, international region and format. A quick google image search shows that Congo has three different design styles for their material.

I think the layout and the photography used in the reference poster is really strong. But these elements don't suit the landscape translite layout — which is obvious because they were designed for a portrait layout. The font choice for the poster wasn't great and so it's also not good for the translite. It's definitely not heavy enough and because it's a totally different style it doesn't tie into the feel of the game artwork — an important consideration for alternate artwork designs.

Amy's eyes are really powerful using the full width at the top of the reference poster but this element is comparatively weak on the translite. The vine leaves look out of place — stock photography perhaps. The blending on the photo is too harsh and the black background has no texture or interest. The medallion is being covered by the blending of the photo, which looks awkward.

It really does look like what it is: roughly blended elements cut and resized from a poster.

But in these cases perhaps the old adage is true: ignorance is bliss. If you don't see the flaws then you get to enjoy it

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Promotional artwork for films differs greatly between release date, international region and format. A quick google image search shows that Congo has three different design styles for their material.
I think the layout and the photography used in the reference poster is really strong. But these elements don't suit the landscape translite layout — which is obvious because they were designed for a portrait layout. The font choice for the poster wasn't great and so it's also not good for the translite. It's definitely not heavy enough and because it's a totally different style it doesn't tie into the feel of the game artwork — an important consideration for alternate artwork designs.
Amy's eyes are really powerful using the full width at the top of the reference poster but this element is comparatively weak on the translite. The vine leaves look out of place — stock photography perhaps. The blending on the photo is too harsh and the black background has no texture or interest. The medallion is being covered by the blending of the photo, which looks awkward.
It really does look like what it is: roughly blended elements cut and resized from a poster.
But in these cases perhaps the old adage is true: ignorance is bliss. If you don't see the flaws then you get to enjoy it

I think you've made some excellent points. It's really not a matter of ignorance. I had a desire for a different translite and liked the poster. After discussing the idea/poster with John Hanson (the artist who did the work), he came up with the images above. He did the work on his own time without upfront compensation and I think it turned out nicely. For me, "roughly blended elements" taken from the cool poster are better than the default translite. Probably won't feel strongly until it's installed on the pinball machine. In any event, thanks for your interesting feedback.

#33 11 years ago

I don't mean to be a grinch about it! I just notice this stuff. As long as you're happy with it that's what matters

#34 11 years ago

The backglass and artwork on Congo look great stock imo. I wouldn't change anything.

#35 11 years ago

I've yet to see an alt translite that looks better than the original. Most are really, really bad.

#36 11 years ago

I ordered one, it looks good to me. I'll try it and keep it if I like it. It's not really that difficult to change back if I don't.

I'll say it, since nobody else has:
THANK YOU for making these available to the community. You didn't have to.

-M

#37 11 years ago

HAhahhaahhahahah!!!

Tim Curry and the gorilla's expression on their faces (on the second translite)!

HAhahhahahhahhha!!!

2 weeks later
#38 11 years ago

Here's what it looks like on the pin. Much darker/meaner than the original.

IMG_6829.jpgIMG_6829.jpg

#39 11 years ago

that's a badass looking Congo. I like your lighting you did as well.

#40 11 years ago

I've yet to see a fan-made alternate translite that didn't look like a bad photoshop job circa-2003. I'll take the original painted art of the real translite any day of the week.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from ButtonMash:

I've yet to see a fan-made alternate translite that didn't look like a bad photoshop job circa-2003. I'll take the original painted art of the real translite any day of the week.

Just because something is "original art" doesn't make it appealing. If you like the original art, then great. If you only like it because it's hand drawn, then I don't get it.

Data East pins have lots of hand drawn art...most of it pretty mediocre.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just because something is "original art" doesn't make it appealing. If you like the original art, then great. If you only like it because it's hand drawn, then I don't get it.

I wouldn't say I *only* like it because it's hand drawn, but as a general rule I will take hand drawn over photoshop any day of the week, yes. Artist interpretation is just more interesting to me, and generally the more time and effort put into it shows.

...but your congo translite is definitely the best attempt I've seen and looks cool on your machine

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The JP translite art is pretty good, but the playfield art is alright I guess.

#44 11 years ago

I received my translite a few days ago and it looks great.
I haven't finished the bb lighting yet but it's pretty close to done.
Here are some not so great quality phone pics.
Thanks Snaroff!

congotranslite2.jpg.jpgcongotranslite2.jpg.jpg congotranslite1.jpg.jpgcongotranslite1.jpg.jpg

1 week later
#45 11 years ago
Quoted from KPM19:

I received my translite a few days ago and it looks great.
I haven't finished the bb lighting yet but it's pretty close to done.
Here are some not so great quality phone pics.
Thanks Snaroff!

My pleasure. Glad you like it! Your lighting looks cool...I'm sure it's even nicer in person.

I had a pinball tournament this weekend and everyone loved Congo (and the custom translite/artwork). It's fun having a high quality B/W title that many people haven't played.

#46 11 years ago

snaroff let me know when u want to sell your congo

2 years later
#47 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Is the movie as bad as everyone says? Saw it along time ago and liked it until they mowed them all down with assault rifles in the end

thanks buddy. guess I won't be needing to watch this movie now lol... just fired up a congo last night. I like it!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

I've yet to see an alt translite that looks better than the original. Most are really, really bad.

genesis

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-alternate-translites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.