IMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpg
Pump it up.gif
Were here to pump you up.gif
9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png
ddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpg
A9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpeg
Crichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpg
DD.gif

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Congo is an A title in my book! :PS)What say you?

#2 5 years ago

Nope. Disagree. Guessing you own one.

#3 5 years ago

I sold a really nice Congo last year for $4500 , i think it is a B++++++.

#4 5 years ago

Second longest game I've owned and my favorite dmd

#5 5 years ago

I love congo it's one of my top ten favorite games.

#6 5 years ago

I played Congo only once at the Wheeling Expo... Really enjoyed it... It stinks I was only like 2 million from a replay(I like to knock every machine I play on or try to knock it), and I figured I'd go back and knock it later... But, man... I never saw the machine open again the rest of the 12 hour day I was there... I was a little disappointed. As I know I could have had a better game once I learned how it bounced and behaved. I mean... One more shot was like practically all I needed to get the replay...

Anyway... I don't know if it's an A or B... But it shot well, had a lot of cool toys, and as I said it seemed really popular.

#7 5 years ago

Great game with some great music and callouts. HIPPPPO!

#8 5 years ago

Congo is high on my “wish I had it back” list. Right up there wth white water. A b c I don’t know about any of that but it was a super fun game.

#9 5 years ago

I've owned Congo for years and it is not going anywhere ever. Congo should be an "A" title, but suffers from a theme not many like and no modes or Wizard mode. As far as gameplay goes it is on par with the greatest games out there. Excellent flow, great shots and amazing sound. Not too many shots better and more satisfying than the shot through the pops into the Volcano.

#10 5 years ago

I give it a 5 out of 7.

#11 5 years ago

Good game, but not an A title.

#12 5 years ago

B title perhaps. It's not on par with MM, IJ, TAF, MB, Metallica, etc. That's reaching.

#13 5 years ago

Injustice picked up a Congo and as thinking about trading it, then I started playing it a lot the past 10 days. Now it's bolted to the floor and not going anywhere. Best game I've owned!

#14 5 years ago

2 ways to looks at it.

1. It isn't
The number 1 thing that makes it an A list game is people accepting it's an A list game; which is why Congo isn't.
It doesn't look great & the theme is a horrible movie...these thing (apparently) matter when "A listers" are games like TOTAN which is pretty bad, but looks and sounds awesome.

2. Whom gives a shit.
Congo owners stroke themselves into thinking it's an A lister to make themselves feel better? I have no idea why these are the one owners group that have such a complex. It's a fantastic game, enjoy it

#15 5 years ago

Owned one, fun game but man are the pumpers out in full force on this game lately. If Congo is an A list, shadow is an A+++ and shadow isn't even an A Title.

#16 5 years ago

Plus isn't the whole "A List" thing kind of since all NIB games are more expensive then 90% of them? And it surely doesn't have anything to do with respect, any newer person that didn't grow up with TZ thinks it's junk.

#18 5 years ago

Had one for years and miss it sometimes.... layout is top notch and rules are fun but they cld use some work and the theme is just ok at best. I think its a solid b title with value of 4-5k . If it was king kong theme it wld be a top pin and worth much more .

#19 5 years ago

Although it's a lot of fun, it isn't an A-list title. From what I understand, years ago they were so incredibly unpopular that they were parted out for their boards, which is a large contributing factor in their rarity today.

#20 5 years ago

The theme keeps this one from being in the top tier. Now if it was King Kong...maybe.

#21 5 years ago

I love Congo, but it’s a “B” title along with any other B/W title that sells for $3-4K less than an “A” title. The market dictates the A/B designation, nothing more. It doesn’t make it any less fun to play.

The folks who say Congo lacks modes haven’t seen my “Mind Map” - there’s a lot to do in Congo, and it feels less linear than other games. Gray Attack, AMY, Satellite, Jungle Jackpot / Ghost Tribe, Skill Fire and Video modes...those are all modes (kinda shallow, but modes nonetheless).

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Although it's a lot of fun, it isn't an A-list title. From what I understand, years ago they were so incredibly unpopular that they were parted out for their boards, which is a large contributing factor in their rarity today.

I had a PERFECT one I took to CAX in 2006, had a $1600 price on it, and couldn't sell it. It was VERY unpopular until pretty recently.

Fun game, but it's a B title for sure.

#23 5 years ago

You know if we all stop looking at pins as investments or validate what title is considered "A" list you might actually enjoy the hobby more.

#24 5 years ago

Congo’s been picking up steam for a few years now, but the price will plateau once people stop finding new ways to mod them.

#25 5 years ago

Lot of pumping going on....

DD.gifDD.gif

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 5 years ago

No way is it an a title. Crappy theme with goofy mini playfield

#27 5 years ago

I own one and don't care if it's an A or a B, but it's a great game. I just wish the lower playfield wasn't there as it really detracts from the game.

#28 5 years ago

It's a fun game and is a great second tier or high B title. The theme, art, code, etc just hold it back a touch. It has a great layout and is a really good game.

One thing is for sure. Congo owners pump it like no other.

#29 5 years ago

Nope. Definitely not an A title. Played one out in the wild 2 or 3 years ago. Was honestly a very fun game - definitely not A lister.

ONLY reason this game got hot is people stopped being able to afford NIB $7200+ Stern Premiums and started finding games like Shadow and Flintstones. Then people started wanting $2000+ for LW3, and just by sheer "holy shit" factor alone on that realization did this game go up to $4000.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's a fun game and is a great second tier or high B title. The theme, art, code, etc just hold it back a touch. It has a great layout and is a really good game.
One thing is for sure. Congo owners pump it like no other.

I'm learning this in the past week. I put a wanted ad out and it was getting pumped so much I had to close it. Meanwhile behind the scenes offers coming in at exactly what I would expect.

Congo owners - stop pumping this B title game. thanks

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm learning this in the past week. I put a wanted ad out and it was getting pumped so much I had to close it. Meanwhile behind the scenes offers coming in at exactly what I would expect.
Congo owners - stop pumping this B title game. thanks

It's a pumpers paradise game for some reason. I've owned 3 of them and never paid more then $3400. Granted the last one was over 24 months ago and they have went up since then. Not sure what it is about some apes that make people go ape.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

you need to qualify this with "on route"

Yeah, on route when the movie came out and was a turd, the general population did not play Congo. When the general public does not even give a game a chance due to a bad license then route operators are gonna just take the hit and pillage parts to keep other games like AFM and MM running which earned big time.

That for sure increased the rarity level and decreased the supply.

Reality is that about 10 years ago, the collector side of the hobby really started growing more and people actually started giving the game a shot. They no longer had the bias of the poorly received movie and instead just treat it like a jungle themed game with an ape. They played the game for what it is and realized it has a great layout, some really good shots, a unique style of code and some really neat toys and features.

Congo has been recognized as an A list title by quite a few for a few years now. People missed the boat because it was a "bad movie". Maybe I am crazy but I actually think the movie is decent when I watched it now. Some funny characters and good 90s cheese. Game is even better and call outs are even funnier to me.

#33 5 years ago

It certainly is the best pinball machine ever made about that movie.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Congo has been recognized as an A list title by quite a few for a few years now. People missed the boat because it was a "bad movie". Maybe I am crazy but I actually think the movie is decent when I watched it now. Some funny characters and good 90s cheese. Game is even better and call outs are even funnier to me.

No one missed the boat, anyone that wanted one for the most part has one or had one at one point. You are crazy if you think the movie is decent.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Owned one, fun game but man are the pumpers out in full force on this game lately. If Congo is an A list, shadow is an A+++ and shadow isn't even an A Title.

Well said. I owned a gorgeous restored Congo. It was a fun game, and I really enjoyed it while I had it, but I have no regrets about selling it. Shadow, on the other hand, would be one of the last games to leave my collection.

#36 5 years ago

If congo is an "A" lister, then my wcs is an "A++" lister, and I will let it go, right now, for $7k. Limited time only. 10k by xmas.

But yeah, its fun, the first of the "end run" for b/w; in my mind a $2500-$3000 game. AFM/AF/TZ/MM/IJ it is not.

#37 5 years ago

It was my girlfriend's favorite title, at one point she owned two at the same time. It's a very solid title, but it's not an A-tier... unless you're one of those people who for some reason hate modern Sterns and only play B/W titles. Then in that narrow mindset, it's a masterpiece.

It has a ton of things to do, and one of the best layouts in the "shoot through the pops" category as there's so much going on.

But there are two flaws with the game that will keep it from being an A-tier...

1) The code plateaus once you hit Super MB. I wish there were some deeper modes, and something for finishing Amy, Gray, Mine, Map and Hippos X-amount of times.
2) Though as mentioned above, the layout is great, there are two things that could be better. Perimeter Defense is a useless target, and the Travi-Con standups are beyond pointless. They take up a ton of real estate right in the middle of the PF and fire the ball right back to you... only to eventually launch a frenzy where you can only hit those standups for a marginal amount of points and nothing else. I actually avoid these targets.

If Travi-Con were replaced with some monkey toy, or a bank of drops that led to something more exciting, and the code was a bit deeper, this game would be an A-title no doubt... but it's just a super solid WPC in the B+ range.

#38 5 years ago

^Is there a time to hit that perimeter defense target? I completely ignore it. Agree on the Satellite mode. Not a fan.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you need to qualify this with "on route"
Yeah, on route when the movie came out and was a turd, the general population did not play Congo. When the general public does not even give a game a chance due to a bad license then route operators are gonna just take the hit and pillage parts to keep other games like AFM and MM running which earned big time.
That for sure increased the rarity level and decreased the supply.
Reality is that about 10 years ago, the collector side of the hobby really started growing more and people actually started giving the game a shot. They no longer had the bias of the poorly received movie and instead just treat it like a jungle themed game with an ape. They played the game for what it is and realized it has a great layout, some really good shots, a unique style of code and some really neat toys and features.

I can say without any question this was the Mustang of the 1990s. I was always excited about any new game coming out then. We got a few of the first orders usually. This game went to closeout very quickly. Since there was very few home buyers at the time so not quite a direct comparison.

I am not sure what scale we are on to recognize titles as A or B etc but when I played it new it was fun but as previously stated, it did not seem as overall polished as some of its predecessors. I think it is certainly a very enjoyable pinball game and no question rare based on its initial undesirabity. I am not sure how to price games as I rarely sell but if I was looking for a stellar example I would expect to pay around what a stern Pro costs.

#40 5 years ago

What is even an 'A' title? It's silly to argue over a letter. Congo is what it is. It's a bit rare and has enough people wanting one to drive up the value. I bought one because I really like playing it. That's all I care about.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No one missed the boat, anyone that wanted one for the most part has one or had one at one point. You are crazy if you think the movie is decent.

this guy is still looking for one

Machine - Wanted
Wanted! - “prefer green cab. cash ready! thanks”
2018-10-29
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 20 times

so are at least 426 pinsiders.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/congo/owners

and with only <400 accounted for on Pinside data base, demand obviously great outstrips supply.

Quoted from jawjaw:

What is even an 'A' title? It's silly to argue over a letter. Congo is what it is. It's a bit rare and has enough people wanting one to drive up the value. I bought one because I really like playing it. That's all I care about.

'A' lister is a pretty silly nomenclature, but in general I think it describes any well liked game that is hard to find for sub 5k. Congo is officially in that realm.

#42 5 years ago

So what nominees for A listens do we currently have? Congo, Whitewater, Shadow?

Which is the most deserving? Now obviously we know people that have thought each of them are a listens for a few years but we need a general consensus

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So what nominees for A listens do we currently have? Congo, Whitewater, Shadow?
Which is the most deserving? Now obviously we know people that have thought each of them are a listens for a few years but we need a general consensus

pretty sure all 3 meet the general idea. TS probably a little less since it is still easier to find for a decent price.

#44 5 years ago

I love my Congo, great game. What I love about it is all the different strategies you can do.

A title? Nope, but it is a B title, a great B title.

#45 5 years ago

I owned a Congo for a while and thought it was an overall solid game.

Some titles you sell and then buy again, but this wasn't a must buy again title.

I'm not sure it's an "A" or "B" pin. If I was to classify it I'd say a "B" or a 7.5.

Movie was OK, but I wouldn't watch it again either.

#46 5 years ago

'A' lister is a pretty silly nomenclature, but in general I think it describes any well liked game that is hard to find for sub 5k. Congo is officially in that realm.

I suspect theme has a lot to do with it as well. I never seen the Congo movie but heard it's pretty bad. I still think it makes a great theme for a pin. You got the whole jungle thing with talking guerillas, machine guns, volcanoes, diamonds, hippos, and Tim Curry!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I suspect theme has a lot to do with it as well. I never seen the Congo movie but heard it's pretty bad.

Its beyond horrible....spoilers they kill Bruce Campbell off in the first 5 minutes.
Biggest fans of it are people that like the game. Like fans of other horrible pins movies; JM, TS etc etc

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this guy is still looking for one

Machine - Wanted
Wanted: Congo (Nice condition)New!Wanted! “prefer green cab. cash ready! thanks”
20 hours ago Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
delt31

so are at least 426 pinsiders.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/congo/owners
and with only &lt;400 accounted for on Pinside data base, demand obviously great outstrips supply.

Can't go by that data. I'm sure their are a lot more that own it than what is represented there. I know the 426 is over inflated as well. Heck I have it on my wish list for a possible trade at some point or if a killer deal pops up but I would NEVER consider a Congo at close to $5K. That pinsider you referenced already has several offers for Congo's at less than the price you are quoting as well. I honestly put zero level of confidence in any of the data here as it's shown to be fairly unreliable way to many times.

The reason it's getting pumped so much right now is because it's recently been streamed by PAPA. Seems like every decent game that gets put in a tournament that gets streamed does the same thing. Forgotten games become in vogue again for a while and then die off again. Congo is a fun game but their is so much better out their for $5K.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty sure all 3 meet the general idea. TS probably a little less since it is still easier to find for a decent price.

Please stop the bs. I already have two Congo's lined up nice condition. Just a matter of if I want to drive. About a week to find it and not close to your nonsense pricing.

Stop spreading fake news buddy. I truly think you mean well but your mouth gets you in trouble. Just listen more and speak less

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Congo is a fun game but their is so much better out their for $5K.

just wanted to mention that Congo is currently 42 in the pinside top 100 (FWIW which is not much)
Looking at the 41 games listed higher I only count the following that are 5k or less : STTNG, TSPP, Whitewater, Aero, Funhouse, TS, BSD, and WWind

8 games in total from that list

I would take congo over all those (easily) if priced similar.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-a-title-?hl=cserold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.