IMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpg
Pump it up.gif
Were here to pump you up.gif
9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png
ddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpg
A9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpeg
Crichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpg
DD.gif

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Shots are good, it's been a while since I had mine and remember too much stop and go though. Replaced mine with a Tron and that's an A title to me.

you realize Tron copied 90% of its layout from Congo?

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you realize Tron copied 90% of its layout from Congo?

Yes which is why I mentioned it. Tron flows better and is an A title which is why I mentioned it.

#153 5 years ago

Congo is not an 'A' title, it is an 'A+' title. I made the bad mistake of selling my old one many years ago and then got an amazing quality one back a year or two ago and it is never leaving, probably my favorite B/W game right up there with Funhouse and TZ.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Edit* down-votes for posting my thoughts on topic....only on pinside, bet they own the game. 10k by xmas

My understanding of the downvote is it means someone disagrees with you, not that you shouldn't have posted.

#155 5 years ago

Couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough, over paid and undersold it just to make it go away and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after all these years....ugh!
If people think this is an A list game then I think we need to totally define what an A list game means. As far as that goes I think Gilligan, Special Force, Blackwater, Spectrum, Black Hole, Black out and Barracora are all A list games then.

John

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

My understanding of the downvote is it means someone disagrees with you, not that you shouldn't have posted.

I prefer to post this

9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png
#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough, over paid and undersold it just to make it go away and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after all these years....ugh!
If people think this is an A list game then I think we need to totally define what an A list game means. As far as that goes I think Gilligan, Special Force, Blackwater, Spectrum, Black Hole, Black out and Barracora are all A list games then.
John

#metoo

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Where's the poll?
B and over-rated. If they made 10,000 instead of 2,000 nobody would be seeking these IMO. I don't miss selling mine at all.
Edit* down-votes for posting my thoughts on topic....only on pinside, bet they own the game. 10k by xmas

Nothing wrong with posting your opinion. Heck, I tired of MM within a few weeks and it's "#1". I'd keep Congo 10x over my MM.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

What drugs are you smoking? I need me some of those.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

What drugs are you smoking? I need me some of those.

Ehhhhh it’s all opinion I guess. I love congo and would love to have one again but I had a twilight zone and wouldn’t own it again. Everyone loves TZ right? I guess not lol

#161 5 years ago

When Tron came out, I thought about “trading up” from my Congo. I’m glad I didn’t as I would have had to add $2500 at the time. I was fortunate to have a friend temp-trade me his Tron, and a few months in my home was enough for me. Congo never gets old. I can’t say one is better than the other, that’s just how I feel.

#162 5 years ago

Having played Congo a bunch, it's nowhere near A status to me, I would never chase that title.

Whitewater? I can understand that one, but not Congo. I understand people have a real hard one for it, so to each their own.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Having played Congo a bunch, it's nowhere near A status to me, I would never chase that title.
Whitewater? I can understand that one, but not Congo. I understand people have a real hard one for it, so to each their own.

Yeah, definitely not "A", more like "Ehhh". Fun game but at the lower end of the Bs. Went for C money for a long time.

#164 5 years ago

I own a really nice Congo that I've had for about 3 years now. I would say it's a high B title.

I love the layout, the shots, and the features. I think the code brings it down. It's ok, but it's not great. I really wish the right rank volcano shot was integrated better. It should have been the super jackpot shot, as well as being required to work your way through the code.

#165 5 years ago

Williams: Turning mediocre movies into awesome pinball since 1993.

#166 5 years ago

With the exception of Dirty Harry...

#167 5 years ago

Is CFTBL considered "B" as well? After finding the video mode last night, and already a blast, I'd argue "A" for that one.....(I play my WCS on occasion as well...guessing a "C" there, but theme is the only thing I would guess causing that....idk....

#168 5 years ago

For me, “A” title simply means: “A” game that I absolutely love.

That’s the subjectivity and the beauty of life: we are all different. We are inevitably going to be drawn to different people, partners, cities and even games. I’m not trying to stir the pot, but I honestly believe this overall “ranking” system is recently fueled by greed - the higher my game, the more I can cash in. Artificial pumping is just as demeaning as some of the insane for sale ads I’ve seen lately (ie MM).
I had a Congo (sold it cheap) and I’d take one again...however, not at today’s asking prices.

#169 5 years ago

I guess the question is, what is the definition of an A title? Game play or cost? A lot of people think a 8k pinball must be an A.. Not true.. I think the rating system should be based on a individual bases.. Is Cactus Canyon an A title? I don't like the game so do i rate it a C??? Rating system is stupid.. If you like the game, just say you like it.. Thats it!!!

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Game play or cost?

Got me thinking about cost vs A title. $4500 seems to be the magic number. What games are priced below $4500 that are A titles? I can only think of a couple- good deal on a STTNG or a NGG.

People could also argue that BSD and Shadow are A titles? All individual preferences.

#171 5 years ago

I think the measuring stick should be if a thread debating a games status stays on the front page of the forum for 2 weeks straight, then you have an A title

Seems pretty obvious given the number of people looking, wanting, and talking about this title combined with the lack of them available that it is well loved and at A status.

Going to play some congo right now

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Seems pretty obvious given the number of people looking, wanting, and talking about this title combined with the lack of them available that it is well loved and at A status.
Going to play some congo right now

Man have you already had your Cheerios and coffee this morning or what? Seems awfully early in the morning to start pumping(;

Pump it up.gifPump it up.gifWere here to pump you up.gifWere here to pump you up.gif
#173 5 years ago

What’s an A title anyway? It’s all subjective

Congo is a super pin. It’s unique and fun as balls to play. Most love it. Of course, some don’t.

Miss mine.

#174 5 years ago

It's definitely an A pin. You have to own it to see why.Im on my 3rd Congo because way back I listened to the Ding-A-Lings who said otherwise.They were cheap and many were parted because of the Naysayers.Not many are left and they won't be remade.So tell the truth and stop bashing a Great Game.Im ready to take the gloves off if need be. Thank You.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Man have you already had your Cheerios and coffee this morning or what? Seems awfully early in the morning to start pumping(;
[quoted image][quoted image]

Always easy to pick out the guys looking to add a congo to their collection

#176 5 years ago

Well, might not be an "A" but think it would fit well in my ever growing lineup....I'll bite on a nice one....

(not very hard, however, as MunstersLE on my radar....)

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

It's definitely an A pin. You have to own it to see why.Im on my 3rd Congo because way back I listened to the Ding-A-Lings who said otherwise.They were cheap and many were parted because of the Naysayers.Not many are left and they won't be remade.So tell the truth and stop bashing a Great Game.Im ready to take the gloves off if need be. Thank You.

#178 5 years ago

Ok. I love Congo but if someone wants to trade me for a JJPPOTC i will do it.

IMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpgIMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpg
#179 5 years ago

Any rough idea of how many Congos remain? How many could have actually been parted out back in the day?

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Any rough idea of how many Congos remain? How many could have actually been parted out back in the day?

Great question. I would guess 1200-1500 maybe.

#181 5 years ago

I keep coming back into this thread to see what people say and it just makes me miss mine more and more. In today’s market though I’ll probably never get another one. I can say the same about the CFTBL and the white water I used to have as well. Those are the three I miss the most

#182 5 years ago

Where does the "a-list" end and "b-list" begin anyhows??

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Where does the "a-list" end and "b-list" begin anyhows??

Somewhere in the middle....

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I guess the question is, what is the definition of an A title? Game play or cost? A lot of people think a 8k pinball must be an A.. Not true.. I think the rating system should be based on a individual bases.. Is Cactus Canyon an A title? I don't like the game so do i rate it a C??? Rating system is stupid.. If you like the game, just say you like it.. Thats it!!!

I don't care for CC that much but agree it's an 'A' game because of rarity and being the last true B/W pin. CV is another game that is not all that but commonly considered an 'A' game. From what I understand, you couldn't give these away back when new. That makes them kind of rare so now they are collectible. I wouldn't pay half of what they go for but that makes no difference. Congo is not much different. At one time, they were not wanted but now much more collectible. A,B,C doesn't matter. Same situation. Many want one but not that many around so price goes up. Plenty think prices are out of line but that doesn't change the situation.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't care for CC that much but agree it's an 'A' game because of rarity and being the last true B/W pin. CV is another game that is not all that but commonly considered an 'A' game. From what I understand, you couldn't give these away back when new. That makes them kind of rare so now they are collectible. I wouldn't pay half of what they go for but that makes no difference. Congo is not much different. At one time, they were not wanted but now much more collectible. A,B,C doesn't matter. Same situation. Many want one but not that many around so price goes up. Plenty think prices are out of line but that doesn't change the situation.

So are u saying a rare pin automatically clasifies it as a A title? I dont agree.

#186 5 years ago

No way this ever achieves "A" status due to the terrible theme. Great player, crappy theme, mediocre art, not an "A".

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So are u saying.... I dont agree.

Yeah that's the whole issue with the topic.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So are u saying a rare pin automatically clasifies it as a A title? I dont agree.

Sure if demand pushes up price and it's collectible. Plenty of other great games have crappy art and questionable themes. There are also plenty of forgetful games with great themes and great art. You can't just say an 'A' game has a great theme and great art. It ultimately comes to the overall demand.

#189 5 years ago

Is this where I go to sell my Congo with color DMD? Cause I’m liking the numbers! Players quality game, lots of fun, I would say B+ almost A- title(some give it higher!^) but I am open to trades for other A- games! Thanks

61299969-1968-4765-B6EE-D3E61D6BCC96 (resized).jpeg61299969-1968-4765-B6EE-D3E61D6BCC96 (resized).jpeg
#190 5 years ago

Is it possible that Congo is much rarer and harder to get in USA than in Europe?
Here in germany I saw so many Congo Pins.
I own one too.
However, maybe I'm totally wrong.

....one of the most underrated Pins....and movie

#191 5 years ago

I don't feel like they're that rare.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Sure if demand pushes up price and it's collectible. Plenty of other great games have crappy art and questionable themes. There are also plenty of forgetful games with great themes and great art. You can't just say an 'A' game has a great theme and great art. It ultimately comes to the overall demand.

You are mixing rare titles w/ A titles. I don't agree.. Doesn't mean i am right or wrong. King Kong is rare as hell but based on a few i have spoken w/, it sucks. I would not rate it a A title. Just a rare title.. A title to me means its all around a great game.. The way it plays, looks, flows, etc.....

#193 5 years ago

Sure, just because a game is rare doesn't mean it's an A title but it can has an impact on how desirable a game is. A lot of games were cheap and largely ignored for a while back when finding games was easy. Now that a lot of these games are hard to find, many are now considered 'A' titles because times have changed. Demand is up and fewer come up for sale. WH2O is a good example of that.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just wanted to mention that Congo is currently 42 in the pinside top 100 (FWIW which is not much)
Looking at the 41 games listed higher I only count the following that are 5k or less : STTNG, TSPP, Whitewater, Aero, Funhouse, TS, BSD, and WWind
8 games in total from that list
I would take congo over all those (easily) if priced similar.

I’d definitely choose Shadow over Congo, and I’m on the fence when comparing Congo to Whitewater.

#195 5 years ago

Never mind.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Shots are good, it's been a while since I had mine and remember too much stop and go though. Replaced mine with a Tron and that's an A title to me.

sold my tron as fast as i could, don't get the love for that game. still got congo!

1 week later
#197 5 years ago

Got Tron and Congo here... Trongo (sorry)

They feel very different to play. One also has more hippos than the other.

I had considered selling Congo once or twice, but there are very few games of equal quality which I could buy with the relatively meagre proceeds I’d get in today’s market. I’d be better off selling tron, but I don’t want to.

#198 5 years ago

Tron vs Congo:

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

One also has more hippos than the other.

/Thread

#199 5 years ago

Love it!

20181124_183904 (resized).jpg20181124_183904 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-a-title-/page/4?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.