IMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpg
Pump it up.gif
Were here to pump you up.gif
9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png
ddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpg
A9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpeg
Crichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpg
DD.gif
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago

I own it, but like others I feel like the theme prevents it from reach A status.

#102 5 years ago

I've played and enjoyed Congo on location...suspect in a home environment would even be more fun, but would need some other titles around it.

Have no idea where CFTBL fits ("A" or "B"), but that was the way I went when pondering the 2 (love that game)

I'm the odd guy that still really likes WCS as well....but definitely B list material......

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've played and enjoyed Congo on location...suspect in a home environment would even be more fun, but would need some other titles around it.
Have no idea where CFTBL fits ("A" or "B"), but that was the way I went when pondering the 2 (love that game)
I'm the odd guy that still really likes WCS as well....but definitely B list material......

I've often felt that Creature From The Black Lagoon, Congo, Fish Tales, White Water, and Shadow would make for a damn good five machine collection.

#104 5 years ago

HIPPOS !!!

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It certainly is the best pinball machine ever made about that movie.

Also apparently the best one featuring Ernie Hudson on the back glass...

#106 5 years ago

We took a vote in my house tonight and confirmed that Congo is still A list!

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I own it, but like others I feel like the theme prevents it from reach A status.

Theme, rules, art and lower play field. Otherwise...

It’s the uniqueness and rareness that drive up the value.

#108 5 years ago

Even though interest has picked up on the game I still wouldn’t call it an A list game. Same as CFTBL popularity when up on it recently but still a B game.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We took a vote in my house tonight and confirmed that Congo is still A list!

Please slowly step away from the mirror.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've often felt that Creature From The Black Lagoon, Congo, Fish Tales, White Water, and Shadow would make for a damn good five machine collection.

I had most of those for a collection at one point... it was great

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If you have one that doesn't work well or has crap switches. Our 2nd one had a rebuild lower PF and played MUCH better. Ball at rest, Gray will either hit the 2nd or 4th letters in Congo (depending on what arm the ball is on). To get the 1st and 5th letters, you actually need to bring the arm backwards (press the opposite button) and then flip forward to have the ball hit the outer switches. The 'N' in the middle is from hitting the ball around while in motion.
Trying to hit all 5 shots, without flailing and being lucky (which does work some of the time) is tough and fun, and the progressively harder goals of Gray (timer and shots disappearing if no other letters hit) makes it a very functional and fun lower PF. Then trying to maybe get one of those last letters to open up Super Jackpot during Super MB is wildly fun.

I rebuilt mine and used thicker foam on the targets and a smaller ball and it was much more difficult and fun and took some skill to beat .

#112 5 years ago

Everybody pumps, please.

$6k by Christmas!!!

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Please slowly step away from the mirror.

all 5 of us agreed. it was unanimous

#114 5 years ago

I would consider it a C title. I used to own one. Games like Shadow are more of a B title. The A title games are reserved for games like Addams Family, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Scared Stiff, Theatre of Magic, Arabian Nights, Creature from Black Lagoon, Indiana Jones, Star Trek Next Generation, Circus Voltaire.

#115 5 years ago

There are lots of things that Congo does right, one of the best I think is a saucer that holds that damn ball in there well

#116 5 years ago

Fun game, but its a C title that is desirable due to rarity. Reason its rare? They got parted out for their boards back in the day. Put it on the same level as Dr. Who which suffered the same fate, but is seemingly more common since more were made to begin with.

#117 5 years ago

C title........ you are all crazy. It's a B title at its worst. The depth of rules makes it a B+. Shot-wise it is an A. If you don't like the shots you probably don't like pinball so just leave the site now and never return.

#118 5 years ago

I enjoy/play it more than my white water!

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I got 4 outta 5 and never could get into or enjoy FT.

#120 5 years ago

Loved reading Crichton's Jurassic Park novel just before watching the movie in the theatre, back in '93. So much hype. And, not too long afterwards, had an excellent time playing JP at the arcades back then! Go-go-go-go-go-go-go-GO!

Shortly after the JP book/movie excitement, I heard there was going to be a movie based on Crichton's Congo book so I read that asap. Very cool. But in '95, I was just a roaming arcader and had no idea or expectations that a Congo pin existed until I started to collect in 2009! Turned out to be a great pin for that silly-okay movie made from yet another great novel written by Crichton. Discovered my Congo in 2010 and it's a keeper, imho.

Sphere was another great Crichton novel with a not-so-great movie adaptation. Back in '98, a pin should have been made with that big, shiny 'sphere'!
Crichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpgCrichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpg

#121 5 years ago

Congo is a B title, but pricing is reflective of an A title. Supply and Demand is all, I should have bought the several Congos offered to me for $3200-$3400 just years ago. Now back to the regular scheduled price pumping

#122 5 years ago

Congo is fun but I do not think it will ever rise from a B to an A, except for its price.

#123 5 years ago

I don't think any 90s WMS machine shoots better. Best bar none IMO. But the Amy sculpt is crap, and code could be more extensive.

Cab and translite art should be a lot better to be what I'd consider A-list - even if I don't think some of those titles are all that great, or like them.

Sound is good, and campy with Tim Curry. Dots are decent but not outstanding.

But it depends what you call A-list? Overall desirability and merit of the entire package put together? Or as some people seem to think, price and price only?

Cactus Canyon's C-list at best IMO, based on the former (and better) definition ... based on pricing (pre-remake), it's obviously A-list.

A-list I'd say would be AFM, MM, STTNG, TZ ... maybe TAF and MB if you weighted it more towards popularity. Of those titles I only really like STTNG, and am lukewarm on MM.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I never owned Crearure or WW as I don’t really like them.
But I have owned Shadow, Fish Tales,and Congo.
Congo is still Around!

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

C title........ you are all crazy. It's a B title at its worst. The depth of rules makes it a B+. Shot-wise it is an A. If you don't like the shots you probably don't like pinball so just leave the site now and never return.

It became popular a few years ago and shot up in value. Nothing against the game. Like it more than many a titles, but the game did not suddenly become better. The theme has not gotten better with age. It just became the it thing and has not gone down in value since.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It became popular a few years ago and shot up in value. Nothing against the game. Like it more than many a titles, but the game did not suddenly become better. The theme has not gotten better with age. It just became the it thing and has not gone down in value since.

I agree as how could game get any better with out new code !I believe more people are getting exposed to the game and seeing and feeling what it has to offer!

#127 5 years ago

Congo is a fantastic game. I prefer it over my monsterbash. for game play its definitely an A title. theme keeps it down a bit.

#128 5 years ago

Congo is a C title. Just because prices of all pins have risen, it does not make a C game a B game. Many Congos and NBAFB have been parted out in the past because the parts were worth more than the complete game. Maybe you can afford these C title games more easily than a B title game but it does not make these C title anymore desirable than it did 10 years ago.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Congo is a C title. Just because prices of all pins have risen, it does not make a C game a B game. Many Congos and NBAFB have been parted out in the past because the parts were worth more than the complete game. Maybe you can afford these C title games more easily than a B title game but it does not make these C title anymore desirable than it did 10 years ago.

It couldn't possibly be because more people have been exposed to the game, played it and realized how good it really is? Just because it didn't do well in arcades and on route doesn't make it a bad game. If that is your logic half of the 90's games you consider "A" games would be crap "C' titles also.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Also apparently the best one featuring Ernie Hudson on the back glass...

Ernie Hudson is the best reason to watch Congo. He has so much class, makes the rest of the actors (except Tim Curry) look like rank amateurs.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think any 90s WMS machine shoots better. Best bar none IMO. But the Amy sculpt is crap,

Ugly.

(Just kidding)

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Lol Vic, this game comes up often as a game we regret passing on to this day.

i bought mine in 2013 at a auction, if it wasn't for 1 other dude bidding me up, id got it for about 1600-1800. instead I bought it for $2400, which I was happy with.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ernie Hudson is the best reason to watch Congo. He has so much class, makes the rest of the actors (except Tim Curry) look like rank amateurs.

Bruce Campbell a "rank amateur?" Piffle!

#134 5 years ago
A9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpegA9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpeg
#135 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What is even an 'A' title? It's silly to argue over a letter. Congo is what it is. It's a bit rare and has enough people wanting one to drive up the value. I bought one because I really like playing it. That's all I care about.

Because people selling want to be able to justify their outrageous asking price while those looking to buy want to justify their low ball offer. That's why letters are so important.

#136 5 years ago

Congo is not an A lister... aside from the volcano the rest is meh... didn't last long in my collection

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Congo is not an A lister... aside from the volcano the rest is meh... didn't last long in my collection

I'd take congo over any game in your collection except Metallica.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'd take congo over any game in your collection except Metallica.

You may (and there is nothing wrong with that) but I believe most wouldn't.
Btw, I like your big collection, very cool.

#139 5 years ago

The confusion may be that Congo was considered a "C" title based on the other games of it's time. On a scale of A to F, when I look at the list below, I would still agree. As a point of reference, I think a few more examples of "C" titles were Demolition Man, Judge Dredd and Johnny Mnemonic.

I can understand how people who are newer to pinball and mostly play the newest releases are surprised at how much a game like Congo has to offer comparatively.

Fish Tales
White Water
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Demolition Man
The Flintstones
Red & Ted's Road Show
Dirty Harry
No Fear: Dangerous Sports
Johnny Mnemonic
Jack·Bot
Congo
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Junk Yard
Medieval Madness
No Good Gofers
Monster Bash
The Addams Family
Black Rose
Doctor Who
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Twilight Zone
Judge Dredd
Popeye Saves the Earth
World Cup Soccer
Corvette
The Shadow
Theatre of Magic
Indianapolis 500
WHO dunnit
Attack from Mars
Safe Cracker
Scared Stiff

#140 5 years ago

You can go Left or you can go Right. Lookout,
Hippo's!!!

#141 5 years ago

Someones not dead until they are completely dead!

#142 5 years ago

I am both humbled and thrilled that anyone is still talking about Congo 20+ years after it was released. During development, we had access to the movie script and knew pretty early that all of the 1980's technobabble from the book would not age well in the movie. So we focused as much as we could on making a jungle adventure game with elements from the movie. The overall goal was to make a game that was more accessible to new players, without being overly simple or easy. So, the rules are intentionally not as deep as some games. And it may not have as much content as current home market expects in a new pin. Is it an A list title like TAF or AFM? probably not. But I think it does approach the timeless appeal of games like CFTBL, BK2K or High Speed.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from jackbot:

I am both humbled and thrilled that anyone is still talking about Congo 20+ years after it was released. During development, we had access to the movie script and knew pretty early that all of the 1980's technobabble from the book would not age well in the movie. So we focused as much as we could on making a jungle adventure game with elements from the movie. The overall goal was to make a game that was more accessible to new players, without being overly simple or easy. So, the rules are intentionally not as deep as some games. And it may not have as much content as current home market expects in a new pin. Is it an A list title like TAF or AFM? probably not. But I think it does approach the timeless appeal of games like CFTBL, BK2K or High Speed.

Cool insight!

Can I ask who you are?

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Cool insight!

Can I ask who you are?

My guess, Bill Grupp.

#145 5 years ago

Love to hear more about game development from back in the day. Very interesting.

#146 5 years ago

Better luck next time!

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from jackbot:

This is about the coolest post lately on Pinside.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:Cool insight!
Can I ask who you are?

Best hint I could find in the congo owners thread

Quoted from jackbot:

20 Year Congo design team mini reunion. John Trudeau, Ernie Hudson and myself at the Stern 30 year celebration.

[quoted image]

ddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpgddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpg
#149 5 years ago

Where's the poll?

B and over-rated. If they made 10,000 instead of 2,000 nobody would be seeking these IMO. I don't miss selling mine at all.

Edit* down-votes for posting my thoughts on topic....only on pinside, bet they own the game. 10k by xmas

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Shots are good, it's been a while since I had mine and remember too much stop and go though. Replaced mine with a Tron and that's an A title to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-a-title-/page/3?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.