IMG_20180821_213748_570 (resized).jpg
Pump it up.gif
Were here to pump you up.gif
9e2cc5156ea1f0c717699a3b7548d5fc9353aa5e (resized).png
ddd5891d65d2fefac08bdfb95127600d18ce7510 (resized).jpg
A9F6921F-AF0D-4F90-AC36-154660C02110 (resized).jpeg
Crichton.Michael_Congo_hardcover_20181030b (resized).jpg
DD.gif
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Please stop the bs. I already have two Congo's lined up nice condition. Just a matter of if I want to drive. About a week to find it and not close to your nonsense pricing.
Stop spreading fake news buddy. I truly think you mean well but your mouth gets you in trouble. Just listen more and speak less

lol, sure thing...

You closed your ad because you hated that people were telling you what past sales were and that the price had gone up.
People can either just look at past archived ads... or they can take your word that you just found multiple examples priced well below market.

Glad you got some lined up. I have a feeling you may really like this one!

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just wanted to mention that Congo is currently 42 in the pinside top 100 (FWIW which is not much)
Looking at the 41 games listed higher I only count the following that are 5k or less : STTNG, TSPP, Whitewater, Aero, Funhouse, TS, BSD, and WWind
8 games in total from that list
I would take congo over all those (easily) if priced similar.

I put zero merit into the circle jerk fest that is the top100 but going by that you missed:
- MET Pro
- Iron Maiden Pro
- AC/DC Pro
- Star Trek Stern Pro
- Spider-man
- TOM
- TSPP
- TWD Pro
- Iron Man
- GOT Pro

This is now 18 games out of the 42 I would consider at that price range. These are all games that I can get for $5K or less (Ok so Iron Maiden would be $5.1K) without much effort of which I personally consider to be equally as fun to shoot as Congo. My taste will be different from others but at that $5K price point their is a lot of competition.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

^Is there a time to hit that perimeter defense target? I completely ignore it. Agree on the Satellite mode. Not a fan.

Stupid thing has a massive insert and is lit every now and then. Have no idea what lights it and when you hit this target over this beautiful massive blue insert well integrated into an ape, you get like 5mil... in a game where mine came set to 800mil for an extra ball. That's not even 1% of your way there!

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

STTNG, TSPP, Whitewater, Aero, Funhouse, TS, BSD, and WWind

Looks to see if he owns Congo. Yep.

#55 5 years ago

I own a Congo and looked hard to find one - I have to restore it next. I never see them come up - is it a $5K game - no - maybe a good higher end restore would be $5k with a color DMD, solid no fade cabinet.

But, is a it a $2500 game - not even close. People always make value decisions based upon price - everyone would buy this game and think it was a steal at $2500 but it is still a good game at $3000-4000 there are worse games out there in that price range. So, it is far off a $5K game - tons of great games reside at $4000-6000. I guess I though this game is even still a $3000-4000 game maybe depending on condition. A, B - is a personal choice - I have played the top 10 games some I like some I don't it is a personal choice I guess.

I can't wait to restore it - it will be great! I personally like the game feel lucky to own one.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Looks to see if he owns Congo. Yep.

Break out the knee pads!

Congo is a real good game, but unlike most of the stuff we argue about here, "A-List" isn't really subjective.

it can be A-list in your heart, but if it's going for B-list money - which it is and always has been - it's not on "the" A-list.

The Monkey game is hilarious. Raise your hand if you've EVER, in your entire history of playing Congo, not won the under playfield Monkey game? I know people who claim it's happened to them but I simply don't believe it.

#57 5 years ago

There's no reason or need to check things, Hilton has always been ground zero of monkey-man love.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Break out the knee pads!

Cant have knee pads for a single game I don't think. His knee pad moment was the shot map jpg showing alien was the flowiest game of all time.

Edit: flakey target is the only way to lose. Unless did somone say you could lower the time?

Edit2: the idea of it being an a game is at least better than when they talk aboot how hard it is.

#58 5 years ago

Oh Pinside! It's amazing what trivial stuff you would shit yourselves over.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Raise your hand if you've EVER, in your entire history of playing Congo, not won the under playfield Monkey game? I know people who claim it's happened to them but I simply don't believe it.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I always hear people say this but I dont understand the thought...
The monkey is essentially an upside down seesaw flipper mech that you use to hit 5 targets and on my game at least it is not a give me.

There's #1

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been to the 100 diamond multiball a few times now, but not made the end of the map, more than 3rd grey level, beyond 2nd video mode, ever seen skillshot rapid fire thing (1 buddy did that once) and still never completed the full amy.

This is confirmed knee pad activity. I mean without any joking or razzing, and I never thought i'd say this, Hilton you're not even this shitty of a player.

#60 5 years ago

B++
It has a bad theme and a few obnoxious callouts.

Gameplay is an A for sure.

Very cool shots, fast and cool design.

#61 5 years ago

Congo is certainly a title.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Break out the knee pads!
Congo is a real good game, but unlike most of the stuff we argue about here, "A-List" isn't really subjective.
it can be A-list in your heart, but if it's going for B-list money - which it is and always has been - it's not on "the" A-list.
The Monkey game is hilarious. Raise your hand if you've EVER, in your entire history of playing Congo, not won the under playfield Monkey game? I know people who claim it's happened to them but I simply don't believe it.

Raises his hand in embarrassment. May even be caught on stream too. Don't know if the last o on that game was flakey or not but for the life of me it wouldn't hit the damn thing. Was in qualifying a couple years ago. It's rare but I've seen it happen a couple of times.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

- MET Pro
- Iron Maiden Pro
- AC/DC Pro
- Star Trek Stern Pro
- Spider-man
- TOM
- TSPP
- TWD Pro
- Iron Man
- GOT Pro

better go back and check those ratings... you are using prem/LE ratings and pro pricepoints it appears.

That said, can you really find all those games for under 5k?

#64 5 years ago

That volcano shot is awesome! The basement playfield is a slap fest joke.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Spiderman, Tom, Acdc might be tough? Others found easily.

#66 5 years ago

So in conclusion it was a 'C' title when it came out but in 2018 everyone gets an 'A', unless of course they don't want one. I just asked my Congo and it still claims to be a 'B' title but it would certainly understand if I dumped it when the price got high enough.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

better go back and check those ratings... you are using prem/LE ratings and pro pricepoints it appears.

Yes, and pretty easily. I just went down the list and that is another reason I put zero merit in that list. Example, I just broke down MET and the prem is ranked higher than the Pro and yet their is a very strong argument that people like the pro better especially when $$$ is added to the equation. Here is another example of how little faith I have in the "top 100". Deadpool is ranked higher than Tron, TNA, IM, BM66, etc.... You can seriously put merit in a system that shows that and you could successfully argue that DP is a better overall game than all 4 of those others?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yes, and pretty easily. I just went down the list and that is another reason I put zero merit in that list. Example, I just broke down MET and the prem is ranked higher than the Pro and yet their is a very strong argument that people like the pro better especially when $$$ is added to the equation. Here is another example of how little faith I have in the "top 100". Deadpool is ranked higher than Tron, TNA, IM, BM66, etc.... You can seriously put merit in a system that shows that and you could successfully argue that DP is a better overall game than all 4 of those others?

yeah, Pinside top 100 has gradually become more and more of a joke, esp since it is clear how the LE owners fluff all the games over the pros, when the vast majority of people will always say the Pro models are the better game. TWD, GOTG, SW, DP, etc...

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, Pinside top 100 has gradually become more and more of a joke, esp since it is clear how the LE owners fluff all the games over the pros, when the vast majority of people will always say the Pro models are the better game. TWD, GOTG, SW, DP, etc...

Nonsense. People say the pros are better values which they pretty much always are. There are only a few games that the pro is actually a better game so if the price was the same people would almost always go for a premium over a pro.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Nonsense. People say the pros are better values which they pretty much always are. There are only a few games that the pro is actually a better game so if the price was the same people would almost always go for a premium over a pro.

nah, the vast majority of Stern 3 tier games, the PRO is always the best player.

Going down the pinside list: Maiden, MET, ST, TWD, DP, GB, Aero, SW, GOT
I would take the pro every time over the prem/le if price was the same.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nah, the vast majority of Stern 3 tier games, the PRO is always the best player.

Makes sense if you don't think about it...….

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The price is never the same, the Premiums are almost always more fun with the added features.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Break out the knee pads!

It progressively gets more difficult. You have to hit all the targets in a certain amount of time. It does get pretty difficult at a point but that is after many rounds. I still think it's a decent mini pf and far from the worst.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The price is never the same, the Premiums are almost always more fun with the added features.

disagree 100%

Prem/le almost always slows down the ball, has toys that are less reliable or hared to maintain, needs more fixes to play well.

This is well documented on games form the past 3/4 years.

#75 5 years ago

Lower playfield never really gets that difficult on standard or tournament settings.
Gray all day. (grAy?)

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

The basement playfield is a slap fest joke.

If you have one that doesn't work well or has crap switches. Our 2nd one had a rebuild lower PF and played MUCH better. Ball at rest, Gray will either hit the 2nd or 4th letters in Congo (depending on what arm the ball is on). To get the 1st and 5th letters, you actually need to bring the arm backwards (press the opposite button) and then flip forward to have the ball hit the outer switches. The 'N' in the middle is from hitting the ball around while in motion.

Trying to hit all 5 shots, without flailing and being lucky (which does work some of the time) is tough and fun, and the progressively harder goals of Gray (timer and shots disappearing if no other letters hit) makes it a very functional and fun lower PF. Then trying to maybe get one of those last letters to open up Super Jackpot during Super MB is wildly fun.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

disagree 100%
Prem/le almost always slows down the ball, has toys that are less reliable or hared to maintain, needs more fixes to play well.
This is well documented on games form the past 3/4 years.

From an operators standpoint, I'd tend to agree with you on maintenance issues. Otherwise, not.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just wanted to mention that Congo is currently 42 in the pinside top 100 (FWIW which is not much)
Looking at the 41 games listed higher I only count the following that are 5k or less : STTNG, TSPP, Whitewater, Aero, Funhouse, TS, BSD, and WWind

I own Whitewater, Aerosmith, Funhouse and Dracula and enjoy playing Congo more

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I own Whitewater, Aerosmith, Funhouse and Dracula and enjoy playing Congo more

I trust your ratings

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/yesh23/ratings

#80 5 years ago

WHY IS MOUSIN' AROUND NOT A 10???????????

#82 5 years ago

Actually, I even laughed at that one. I probably need to go and update some of my rankings but I do love me some System 11's. Only reason I haven't ranked Congo yet, is I'm trying to see if I can give it an 11

#83 5 years ago

From a playing standpoint you can make arguments for both the pro and prem/le models. From an earning and games played model it's not even close based on gross sales/games played. People always are amazed and so grateful to play the LE games we route. They simply prefer them on all games in the past 3 years, at least from what I am told. The only exception is Game of Thrones. This discussion comes up locally a ton. Pros are an amazing value for an operator in my estimation but the LE games are preferred by the customers I know.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

WHY IS MOUSIN' AROUND NOT A 10???????????

because it isnt an em.... duh!

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Why do you prefer gb pro?

#86 5 years ago

Well I thought this would get everyone excited.
A or B title its a great game hands down my favorite . Yes I own one and prefer it over A titles I play at friends houses. Came close to trading a few times but GLAD i did not.
What i find funny is the guys who beat down value of the game yet once they get Congo in their possession will not let it go unless a 5 is the first number. Hilarious.
End of the day money spent on CONGO is money well spent and its a game that is best in a home environment, on route you would have to drop lots of $ to get that Volcano shot down. (come on its got a VOLCANO)
HIPPO"S
video mode
and MIDNIGHT MADNESS
super skill shot
a lot going on in this JUNGLE!

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Why do you prefer gb pro?

I prefer GB pro as well plays faster! and better price point!

#88 5 years ago

No way.

B+ at best.
Great layout, code and theme will keep it out of A range forever imo.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No way.
B+ at best.
Great layout, code and theme will keep it out of A range forever imo.

funny coming from a monkey!

#90 5 years ago

Lol

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I had a PERFECT one I took to CAX in 2006, had a $1600 price on it, and couldn't sell it. It was VERY unpopular until pretty recently.
Fun game, but it's a B title for sure.

Lol Vic, this game comes up often as a game we regret passing on to this day.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I prefer GB pro as well plays faster! and better price point!

What about the GB pro makes it play faster. I have literally a dozen examples of the pro and 3 LEs, no geometric difference, ramp returns to flipper on LE and subway ramp.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Lol Vic, this game comes up often as a game we regret passing on to this day.

Ha! Do you remember the one I brought?

I put NOS plastics in it, a new window, replated the habitrails, new pop bumper skirts/bodies/caps...very nice.

I looked up the emails from that time, the price was actually $1995, not $1600. I think I took one or two hundred less in the end.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ha! Do you remember the one I brought?
I put NOS plastics in it, a new window, replated the habitrails, new pop bumper skirts/bodies/caps...very nice.
I looked up the emails from that time, the price was actually $1995, not $1600. I think I took one or two hundred less in the end.

Yep, pretty sure it’s that exact game. $1600 is the price that we remember tho so who knows, it was a while ago. Just another if I knew then what I know now, lol.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yep, pretty sure it’s that exact game. $1600 is the price that we remember tho so who knows, it was a while ago. Just another if I knew then what I know now, lol.

Ahhh shit I overpaid at $1640 for my Congo Still loving it over 7 years later and could care less what it is worth or if it is an A, B or C title.

#96 5 years ago

My son flaps his arms like a spazz when he plays the lower playfield, and 90% of the time it works. But it’s still more fun than the Path of the Dead, and qualifying it with that Quorra shot is hella fun.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But it’s still more fun than the Path of the Dead, and qualifying it with that Quorra shot is hella fun.

Path is the worst. But wow we all wish Quorra shot was that easy.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Path is the worst. But wow we all wish Quorra shot was that easy.

Yeah, bummer that tron copied 90% of congo and somehow screwed up that shot geometry.

#99 5 years ago

Between this thread and the other monkey thread it feels like Pinside has gone bananas.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I might have marked it down to try to move it. $1995 is what I had in the emails around that time, but that's the only written record I have of it. $1600 is what I remembered it not selling at, and if you remember the same, it probably is what I marked it down to. At that price today, I would have kept it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-a-title-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.