(Topic ID: 83956)

Confused by the micro switches and diodes

By TheRingMaster

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch.png
    #1 10 years ago

Hi!

I was replacing some of my ramp switches and got new ones and new diodes and soldered it all back together like it was before so i think i have done it right.

Here is what i did, example:

The switch has 3 legs, that are from the left Normally closed, middle normally open and to the right the common.
    White/vio wire goes on the NC pin and the grn/blu to the mid pin. The diode 1N4004 goes from C to NC and has the banded side towards C. So far so good.

I thought it would be a good idea to test the functionality before putting them back on the ramps where they reside. So i took my DMM and buzzed the switch. Now i thought that ok, when the switch is pressed there should be continuity between the two wires i soldered there but no.

What happens is when measured from:

C to NO - buzz heard WHEN switch is closed
    C to NC - buzz heard UNTIL switch is closed
    NO to NC - nothing at all

This is probably correct but it lead me to get confused... I just cant figure out why the wires just dont go from common to NO and when the switch is pressed the circuit is closed. I guess the diode has something to do with this since it goes from NC to C. I understand it should prevent the switch from "backfiring" into the switch matrix but not exactly how more than it keeps the current flowing in the right direction as opposed to backfiring in the solenoid context. I just neeeed to know!!

Below is a sketch i made of how the switch functions but as i said i cant figure out the diode... anyone who can explain it?

switch.pngswitch.png

/Andy

#2 10 years ago

"I understand it should prevent the switch from "backfiring" into the switch matrix but not exactly how more than it keeps the current flowing in the right direction as opposed to backfiring in the solenoid context. "

In a solenoid circuit, the diode is used to shunt the reverse electromagnetic field (EMF) pulse, caused by the shaft returning into the coil by the return spring, from going back into the drive transistor that fired the coil. And basically spiking the transistor with exceeding high voltage.

In a switch matrix, the diode has a whole different use model. To understand it, you need to read up on matrix theory.. Or as Neo would say,,, Whoa!.

The folks at Pinballrehab did a really nice write up on it here.. http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

#3 10 years ago

I don't think NC is really used, just a common point for the wire and diode to be joined.

#4 10 years ago

btw75, so that would mean that the current flows from the wire at NC, through the diode and (if the switch is closed) through the NO wire and back through the matrix.

If its open, it just goes to NC but not any further since it only would loop back and also the diode is blocking it at the C-lug...

Patofnaud, i will read up on it again, ive tried a couple of times but I only understand part of it each time

#5 10 years ago

Try this.. Pictures worth a thousands words.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks! I will have a look at it =)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/confused-by-the-micro-switches-and-diodes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.