6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm new to Pinside and PB ownership and got my 2nd game "Space Shuttle" a couple weeks ago. I'm changing to LED's for 2 reasons, #1, to brighten up the game and #2, to take the load off the 29 year old lamp board. What confuses me is all the dif. types of LED's, frosted, non frosted, 40, 90, 170 degree, concave, convex, flat top etc. Which of these are best to use for the inserts? Which of these will give me the most color for my $$$ I hope to ask many more dumb questions in the future so be kind and humor me OK guys. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

This is why you should get a sample pack or assortment, try them in different spots, and get what you like.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Our frosted bulbs are bright but noy overwhelming. You can go to. www.pinballbulbs.com and snag a sample pack. Use pinside as the discount code to get 10% off.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This is why you should get a sample pack or assortment, try them in different spots, and get what you like.
    LTG : )

That's how I did it. But if you are looking for advice, go will Warm White Frosted with some assorted Frosted colors that match your inserts. I personally don't like changing the Gi's, but with the new Retro LED's, they are a identical match.

Good luck...

#5 6 years ago

Here is a quick breakdown as well.

Concave - a cheaper priced LED and just that, a cheaper LED. These don't give off too much light and tend to have a wider spread. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Maybe in the backbox if you wanted really low light.

Retros - There are a few styles of these floating around, but the main thing is they have a clear cap. They are going to disperse the light a lot better than no cap, but definitely not ideal for places where the LED can be seen when playing. These can work in backboxes, GI or basically anywhere you want some brightness without being able to see it.

Frosted - These are probably the most popular because they can be put anywhere really. They disperse light really well. Great for backboxes, GI and can be put ni view of where your eyes see as they are not blinding.

Flattop - Primarily it seems PBL sells these. They are not going to be as bright as many of the frosted bulbs out there, but they have a much lower price tag and do their job. They actually dso come in handy when you don't want something to be very bright. Maybe on a game like BSD possibly in certain areas. Doing a full game with these is not overly ideal as it can be a bit dim, but overall it is personal taste.

Super brights - These are a flat top LED with no dome at all on them and a larger LED chip used. I would use these for spotlights or under inserts. Retros can work well for inserts as well. I probably would avoid cool white super brights in inserts as it can be blinding and lead to feeling more of a strobe affect. Also, I wouldn't use them for clear inserts as the same results would happen.

Flexes - The same as super brights, but they have a inch or so strand that sticks the LED ship out so it can be bent directionally. These are super awesome for inserts for the socket is to the side and doesn't get the light to the insert as well. Very flexible in terms of usage on these. They do tend to cost a bit more, so I would use sparingly and more of a "specialty bulb".

Other than those styles I would probably avoid the rest as there are just too many styles and they get confusing. There are of course flashers, but they are pretty simple. Standard 89 or 906 and they flash. Also, there are some specialty types of LEDs like blinkers or odd sizes for a few couple games, but those can be dealt with on a case by case basis and your options for styles are usually limited.

Hope that helps a bit!

#6 6 years ago

Use these for the inserts:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1882
    These are not good for GI as they are not bright enough, but they are perfect for small to medium inserts without blasting your eyes out
    Orange and yellow are a bit weak, so I usually use white instead of yellow and use a triple LED for the oranges.

I also use the triples for larger inserts
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1174

For GI Bulbs:

I like using these for the backbox in either warm white (if the artwork colors are predominantly red, orange and yellow) or cool white (if the artwork is predominantly blue or white or green)

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=38&categoryId=6
    http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=31&categoryId=6

And I just started using these for the playfield GI, they look more like an incandescent than any other bulb.
    http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=869&categoryId=136
    http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=974&categoryId=136

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 19.00
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside