Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by royce6135
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just need some help understanding this. What determines a class A title? Is it the dollar amount u pay for a title or is it the popularity? Ok we all probably agree the following are class A titles: MM, CC, AFM and MB. But what about TAF, IJ, TZ for example! These three titles cost thousands less than the first four i mentioned. Are they also class A titles? Thanks guys for any input you can give me.

#2 11 years ago

Yep, it's a popularity contest. Those would all be A titles.

#3 11 years ago

They are also class A titles, but they are much higher production than the first 4 that you mentioned:
TAF: 20K produced
TZ: 15K
IJ: 12K

vs.

MM: 4K
AFM: 3K
CC: 900

If there were only 900 TAF, it would likely be a $20K title or more. It's all about supply and demand!

#4 11 years ago

Thanks ianwho. What about WHT0, NGG, etc. What r B titles?

#5 11 years ago

Great point treveism. So popularity and supply and demand seem to drive this!

#6 11 years ago

exactly

#8 11 years ago

Short version, there is no official list or no industry standard.

#9 11 years ago

I don't think price makes an A-lister. I think gameplay and overall likability is what makes an A-lister.

A game that cost $10000 or more but is super shallow is not an A-lister in my book.

#10 11 years ago

Whatever games you like most, there's your a-list.

#11 11 years ago

The high priced "A-Listers" are generally WPC'95 games. They have 3 things in common:

-Excellent sound quality (and great music & voices)
-Excellent toys & features
-Low production numbers

High demand, finite supply. Doesn't mean they're "better" or "more fun" than other games...they're just good and harder to come by.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-Low production numbers

Im not so sure about the Low production numbers being a factor on A-listers.

look at the numbers again, the top ten games on www.ipdb.org are some of the top selling games of all time.

#13 11 years ago

Stop caring about what is and isn't "A list" - it just spreads the cancer.

#14 11 years ago

I agree that price isn't quite right for determining the A-list. I think the market cap concept (price of avg game x # of machines in existence) is probably a better measure (Hence TAF >> CC)

But I would say the top 10 of the pinside top 100 is probably the best A-list. The only people who rate the games are hardcore pinball players/experts and it's the best voting machine that we have.

Maybe A-list should be the top 25, since Mr. Pinball's 2013 guide has 2536 pins listed, and the top 1% is a reasonable sized A-list.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Im not so sure about the Low production numbers being a factor on A-listers.
look at the numbers again, the top ten games on http://www.ipdb.org are some of the top selling games of all time.

Sure - I guess I was just referring to the ones that are approaching 10k+ in pricing. Those are all WPC'95 titles...and BBB lol

#16 11 years ago

My Seawitch is an A-lister title. Love love love this machine.

#17 11 years ago

I play what I like. I find labelling a pin an A title is just following the hoards. You can use it as a reference, but really - just define your own A list and run with it.

#18 11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your input. Based on what i have seen here, we should not rate pins as A titles a all. There are titles out there i would never spend that kind of cash on. I got my NGG for 1500 and i love it. Thanks again.

#19 11 years ago

Top 10 lists and selling prices (or A listers if you will) are good indicators of a game's demand but this is based on overall popularity and not necessarily what YOU will like. However, most folks prefer Twilight Zone to Party Zone, Monster Bash to NBA Fastbreak, Cirqus Voltaire to Popeye, Attack From Mars to Demolition Man, and Medieval Madness to Johnny Mnemonic so there is some degree of reasonableness to it all. This doesn't necessarily mean you will prefer A titles to other, less-in-demand games.

#20 11 years ago

Yeah you make your own A list

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/confused-about-class-a-titles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.