Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Wasn’t there a lawsuit over the copying of Bally boards?

Yes, indeed! One of the more interesting stories from the early days of electronic pinball technology. Stern bought Chicago Coin in 1977 and put out a couple of EM pinballs using Chicago Coin designs. Bally had just started putting out electronic versions of some EM titles using the -17 board-set, and it became apparent that the newly born Stern Electronics Inc would fail unless they could also build electronic games, but they apparently lacked the expertise (or the time) to develop their own design so they basically just reverse-engineered the Bally system, right down to connector compatibility of most boards. In fact if you compare a Bally -17 and Stern MPU-100 board, you will see that the Bally board is obviously designed on a computer CAD system, with perfect/straight copper traces, while the Stern board is clearly hand-drawn with wiggly/curved copper traces. Basically, the Stern engineers traced the Bally design by hand like a child copying a drawing with tracing-paper! It was a ballsy move, and Bally did sue (and won!) but it saved Stern from probable bankruptcy (for a few years, anyways).

As described above, it is relatively easy for a skilled technician to adapt Bally and Stern boards to the "other" format, including the two generations. In principle the MPU-200 board was more sophisticated than Bally boards since it has twice the clock-speed and twice the SRAM.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I think that Gary Stern actually just bought the company that was producing the boards for Bally, to make the copying that much easier

I'd never heard that: Do you have an online reference for that? I'm a Classic Stern nut, so would love to add to my knowledge of those heady days!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'm not sure where I first heard it. It's mentioned on pinwiki: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Introduction
    Also see this nice note from a former employee: http://gamearchive.askey.org/pinball/Manufacturers/Stern/text/tonymiller.txt

Ah yes, URL (Universal Research Laboratories). The initials show up on some Stern boards. I was aware of the Stern connection, but hadn't heard they were involved in the early Bally boards. I'll have to do some looking on that..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/configure-bally-35-for-stern-flight-2000-need-help?tu=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.