(Topic ID: 233025)

Confessions of a pinball collector

By EvanDickson

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5965AE08-C194-426E-BAD3-D734F61E30A4 (resized).jpeg
    Not a hoarder-collector.jpg
    Hoarding dog.jpg
    Hoarding.jpg
    b1 (resized).JPG
    20190101_191011 (002) (resized).jpg
    6611957 (resized).jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago

I will never have enough pins even though I don't play as much as I should. Every time I fix an issue I feel it's a flux and got lucky. Even though I do all my own board work and troubleshooting. Cold solders have been the most fun to track down or working through several issues to finally get it to work. NOT! I have also become a fan of 3 ball instead of 5. Except for my brutal late 70's Ballys and my early Williams with no ball saves.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Except for my brutal late 70's Ballys and my early Williams with no ball saves.

Shame, Shame on you sir!

#103 5 years ago

I have my ballsave time set to 12 seconds on all of my games.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

After buying a Jet Spin with legs that were too long, I only replaced the front ones and just used shorter leg lifters on the rear.

Nothing wrong with that. I have all my classic games set up with 28.5 in backs and 27s in front. Gives them a nice 5.4 pitch with levelers all the way in. Only ever have to level side to side.

#105 5 years ago

At the end of this confessional, Vid will forgive us and reveal his true identity.

#106 5 years ago

I actually think people are interested when I start talking about pinball.

#107 5 years ago

I like to search Zillow and find houses with a pin in the picture. I then try to impress my wife by identifying the pin. She is never really impressed.

#108 5 years ago

I talk about my pinball collection or other games I'm interested in getting to my friends too much. I think they getting sick of it by now... I need someone else with this similar obsession cause none of them get it.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

I talk about my pinball collection or other games I'm interested in getting to my friends too much. I think they getting sick of it by now... I need someone else with this similar obsession cause none of them get it.

I have this issue lately. It isn't something I've ever really talked to people about in the past as I know most people don't care. On top of that, like some of the other posts mentioned, I try not to talk about how much they cost.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I have this issue lately. It isn't something I've ever really talked to people about in the past as I know most people don't care. On top of that, like some of the other posts mentioned, I try not to talk about how much they cost.

I've started to raise eyebrows now that my pinball collection is getting to more of the top tier games like MET , TNA and MBrLE so I'll probably start keeping my mouth shut on the prices too. I did bring a buddy on a delivery and he got to see all the cash on the glass that made it cooler but yeah I think this is going to be a new years resolution for me. Stfu about pinball unless asked.

#111 5 years ago

Three year’s ago I told friends I was getting my first and only pin. I now have 4 and get asked regularly when I’m getting my next one.

#112 5 years ago

Have always thought it would be cool to get a brand new game but can’t get past the sticker shock.

#113 5 years ago

The more I play......the worse I get☹️

#114 5 years ago

My friends and family have only a tepid interest in pinball and yet I still use them when considering and justifying new additions.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

At the end of this confessional, Vid will forgive us and reveal his true identity.

... it's... it's... it's Robin!

#116 5 years ago

I have more busted ass project machines in the garage than working games in the house, and even then each of the games in the house has at least one annoying issue that needs to be fixed.

In fact there are so many projects in the garage that I can’t work on them since there’s no space. That’s with me preferring to fix and restore over playing games, too.

On top of that, I still go across town to play games at the main pinball bar. Then I end up sitting and talking pinball all night instead of playing.

I used to think I liked fixing more than playing but now I think I like talking about pinball more than anything...

#117 5 years ago

I actually like the Ironhide mini upper playfield on Transformers LE

#118 5 years ago

"Honey I promise this will be the last machine I ever buy" has become a monthly statement over the past few years. Sometimes as often as weekly but she stopped believing me so long ago it doesn't really matter at this point.

#119 5 years ago

I currently have more money invested in my pinball machines than my savings account. I only have 2 pins. Completely irresponsible of me.

#120 5 years ago

I think I have become a hoarder....I love finding and purchasing machines but I have a hard time letting them go.

Hoarding dog.jpgHoarding dog.jpgHoarding.jpgHoarding.jpgNot a hoarder-collector.jpgNot a hoarder-collector.jpg
    #121 5 years ago

I always regret rooming with Gryszzz at pinball shows when the weekend is over. However, I always agree to room with him again when the next one comes along. Kind of a side-sickness to my pinball addiction.

#122 5 years ago

When I get up to take a leak at night..... I’ll check Pinside on my phone before I go back to sleep.

#123 5 years ago

I’ve recently thought of selling my Championship 9 ft pool table to make room for 8 more 70s pinball machines to go with the 4 I have. Crazy.

#124 5 years ago

I can never seem to remove the glass on a machine for a simple adjustment or repair without spending the next 2 hours messing with everything else.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’ve recently thought of selling my Championship 9 ft pool table to make room for 8 more 70s pinball machines to go with the 4 I have. Crazy.

100% normal here actually

#126 5 years ago

I sold 11 games over 3 weeks to “make room” and almost immediately bought 9

#127 5 years ago

I sold a billiards table to make more room recently.

#128 5 years ago

House came with a pool table and it was the first "fix" to the house was getting it out of there; Way too much room.

#129 5 years ago

The only reason I ever watched The Sopranos, The Hobbit, 007 Goldeneye, Flintstones, Walking Dead and XMen is because I already owned the machines and wanted to understand the games a little better.

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I enjoy fixing and working on games more than I enjoy playing them.

About the same ... still like to play, but resurrecting a pinball from the ashes is a bit of a thrill!

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from joefox22:

I sold 11 games over 3 weeks to “make room” and almost immediately bought 9

...and welcome back to the 34 club

#132 5 years ago

My TZ and I have been battling Gremlins for about 5 years now off and on. I’ll be sad when it’s 100% working.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Edit: and no offense meant at all by this but after looking at your collection there is nothing there that couldn't be replaced later if you really missed it

None taken.... They're all still being made! But I didn't say it was rational anxiety.

#134 5 years ago

I have a collection of 6, two of which are novelty pins.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

"Honey I promise this will be the last machine I ever buy" has become a monthly statement over the past few years. Sometimes as often as weekly but she stopped believing me so long ago it doesn't really matter at this point.

Ha ha. I can definitely relate.

#136 5 years ago

All my pins are set to 5 balls

#137 5 years ago

My Highest scores are world records... oh and occasionally I like to play with the glass off...

#138 5 years ago

Confessions of a pinball collector? My confession is that I own exactly one working pin and am restoring one other one. I don't consider myself to be a "collector" just a home arcade owner/manager.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

All my pins are set to 5 balls

You...monster!

#140 5 years ago

Sometimes I have bad games when I can’t seem make a shot to save my life, but when I do make a good shot or save, I’ll yell at my pins, “Suck it Trebec!”

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I sold a billiards table to make more room recently.

I may be next. Enjoying all you guys’ posts in this thread. Great stuff.

#142 5 years ago

My next pin is my favourite pin.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

My next pin is my favourite pin.

#144 5 years ago

I’m a decent player sober but get a few drinks in me and I’ll get smoked by a monkey flipping 7 year old.

#145 5 years ago

I play TPA on the can more than I play my real pins.

#146 5 years ago

I have three pins. I can tell them apart by how they smell.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've gone to a pinball show for three days and not played a single game.

Or took a single shower?

#148 5 years ago

My pinball attire collection is slowly outgrowing my regular clothing.

Also, I play a thousand times better in a non tournament setting. Nerves get the best of me. Go figure!

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I play TPA on the can more than I play my real pins.

Does this nean you would sell stargate?

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you ever need a visitor... just say the word

Hey man. I am always up for some parties. I just purchased a house back in August. And am in full swing doing a rennivstion to roughly a 2000sqft game
    Room. I have a ton of EM arcades as well. So I know I will ha e to work on thinning the pinball herd.

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/confessions-of-a-pinball-collector/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.