(Topic ID: 233025)

Confessions of a pinball collector

By EvanDickson

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5965AE08-C194-426E-BAD3-D734F61E30A4 (resized).jpeg
    Not a hoarder-collector.jpg
    Hoarding dog.jpg
    Hoarding.jpg
    b1 (resized).JPG
    20190101_191011 (002) (resized).jpg
    6611957 (resized).jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I enjoy fixing and working on games more than I enjoy playing them.

+1
    Had to Troubleshoot a display issue on project Motordome yesterday, I simply had to re-pin the connector but did not play it after. Instead I worked on the eventual new home for the PF... I did play a few games on Laser Ball after though, had to see if it still worked.

20190101_191011 (002) (resized).jpg20190101_191011 (002) (resized).jpg
    #52 5 years ago

I am actively hunting for the perfect house/property so I can finally get the whole collection on legs.
    Seriously going to move and build a place to store more pins and it just seems normal.

#53 5 years ago

Sometimes I call pins tables...

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Sometimes I call pins tables...

and curse them when the paddles don't flap.

#55 5 years ago

I’ve sold every single game that I’ve claimed was bolted to the floor.

I’ve attempted to sneak in multiple new games when the wife was at work and hope she wouldn’t notice. It never works.

Sometimes I buy a machine solely to enjoy the pleasure of Fast Eddie’s company.

I’ve spent a bazillion dollars on mods and then sold the game for pennies on the dollar after I’m done. (I stopped doing that however, learning is fun!)

I never get tired of TOM because I’m a marginal, at best, player.

#56 5 years ago

I bought an HEP CV for more than I thought I would ever pay far a pinball machine period! It has been my favorite theme.

#57 5 years ago

Three years ago, before I started collecting, I would have told you I was the best pinball player I knew (and I would have been right, I think). But now I know about 100 people who are better than me!

I still wear my Pinball Wizard T-shirt though...

#58 5 years ago

I fix them, move them, clean them, rarely get to play.

LTG : )

#59 5 years ago

I own like 44 games but haven't played one in a few months, but keep buying more................

#60 5 years ago

most of the time I go 3 months without turning on one of my games.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I own like 44 games but haven't played one in a few months, but keep buying more................

If you ever need a visitor... just say the word

#62 5 years ago

I actually hope that something breaks so I can fix it. I have more fun fixing them than playing them.

#63 5 years ago

I'm going to buy a stackable washer/dryer to replace our currently working separate washer and dryer. It's the only place left to put another machine in the basement. After that, we'll probably start going to the laundry mat

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heaterguy:

I actually hope that something breaks so I can fix it. I have more fun fixing them than playing them.

That’s just sick.

#65 5 years ago

I can relate to having fun fixing them.

Fortunately I have some NEEDY Projects

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Seriously going to move and build a place to store more pins and it just seems normal.

People do that for kids, and pins actually have resale value.

#67 5 years ago

IMO, Judge Dredd is not a $1400 game.

#68 5 years ago

I play pinball sitting on a bar stool cause I'm a lazy bastard.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

People do that for kids, and pins actually have resale value.

I like how you think!

#70 5 years ago

Confession: I get a little bothered when a new thread pops up about a topic that an older thread exists for, even though I've probably done it myself.

#72 5 years ago

I gave up confessing my actions now i justify them.

#73 5 years ago

I try to avoid reading threads like this.

Yet, here I am ... again.

#74 5 years ago

I love Bad Girls

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

I play pinball sitting on a bar stool cause I'm a lazy bastard.

Time to change your avatar and Pinsider name?

#76 5 years ago

I say I’m not buying anymore pins for awhile and this is it 30 sec later after new pin arrives I’m checking cl fb and pinside for cheapys hoping for another fix lol

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snowyetti:

I say I’m not buying anymore pins for awhile and this is it 30 sec later after new pin arrives I’m checking cl fb and pinside for cheapys hoping for another fix lol

Haha it's an addiction for sure. I'm the same way. I love telling the wife it's only 1k no big deal. Then 1/2 day spent hauling and installing it. Wife ticked

#78 5 years ago

X Files is in my A-list lineup.

#79 5 years ago

I have 3 spare trunk motor and gearbox assemblies for my Theatre of Magic, just in case.

#80 5 years ago

I’m sitting at right around 44 machines.

I buy them for the art as much as the gameplay. All are positioned caddy corner with at least 36” spacing so that the artwork on both sides is clearly visible. It’s a little nuts, but just walking through the room with all of the lights flashing on each machine makes me happy.

#81 5 years ago

Those that profess hate for the Baldwin,

Secretly crave a deep romantic relationship with the Baldwin

b1 (resized).JPGb1 (resized).JPG
    #82 5 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I lie to my friends about how much money I have in them cause I don’t want them to think I’m an idiot.

I made this mistake. I had a neighbor over. We played a couple games. She was like, “these are pretty neat, what are they, like $500 each?” I said “well, they’re more like $4k-6k”. She just could not believe this. I tried to explain about they being some of the most desired titles from a golden age of pinball bla bla. I lost all her respect immediately, it was obvious by her responses and body language (not that I care). But it was an awkward 2 minutes.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I made this mistake. I had a neighbor over. We played a couple games. She was like, “these are pretty neat, what are they, like $500 each?” I said “well, they’re more like $4k-6k”. She just could not believe this. I tried to explain about they being some of the most desired titles from a golden age of pinball bla bla. I lost all her respect immediately, it was obvious by her responses and body language (not that I care). But it was an awkward 2 minutes.

Be wary of a woman who has no concept of monetary value. Probably good that came out early.

#84 5 years ago

I've got a basement full of beautiful tricked out games, yet I spend more time finding broken ratty turd project games online.

#85 5 years ago

ive owned a shadow now for 4 yrs, and I have yet to fix upper playfield so I can play it.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Be wary of a woman who has no concept of monetary value. Probably good that came out early.

ESPECIALLY if that woman is your wife!!

#87 5 years ago

I don’t understand why people love AFM and MM, I think Eddy’s best game is still The Shadow!

#88 5 years ago

...been in just over a year. I have four games and want more, but am worried about getting rid of anything! This is creating quite a bit of anxiety.

What if I miss it...what if I can't find one again...what if I don't like the new one as much...what if "new game x" comes out soon...what if I can't fit another one...what if...what if...what if....aaaagggghhhhhh!!

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from N80G80:

I don’t understand why people love AFM and MM, I think Eddy’s best game is still The Shadow!

I don't understand why people think you have to choose 1 designers games over the others

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Haha it's an addiction for sure. I'm the same way. I love telling the wife it's only 1k no big deal. Then 1/2 day spent hauling and installing it. Wife ticked

I’m always like ile be right back just gonna grab that quick in and out then I get there start talkin pinball two hours later she’s ready to send state police helicopters cuz my phones in the truck she loves that too

#91 5 years ago

...I prefer Van Hagar to Halen

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

...been in just over a year. I have four games and want more, but am worried about getting rid of anything! This is creating quite a bit of anxiety.
    What if I miss it...what if I can't find one again...what if I don't like the new one as much...what if "new game x" comes out soon...what if I can't fit another one...what if...what if...what if....aaaagggghhhhhh!!

I used to feel like this in the beginning but just stay in for a few years & you will find it easier to let go ... best advice I heard was that you cant own them ALL at once but you can make a great effort at owning & enjoying as many as possible over time Edit: and no offense meant at all by this but after looking at your collection there is nothing there that couldn't be replaced later if you really missed it

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I own more pins then everyone in the league I'm in combined.
    Came in last place this past season.

Aww, man, you have all three machines on my wish list in your collection! Let me know if you want to sell!

#94 5 years ago

I like Raven

#95 5 years ago

I read Pinside 20% for the good content, 80% for the people watching and shitshow.

#96 5 years ago

After buying a Jet Spin with legs that were too long, I only replaced the front ones and just used shorter leg lifters on the rear.

#97 5 years ago

DO...NOT...TOUCH...THE...F?(#!NG...GLASS!

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

made this mistake. I had a neighbor over. We played a couple games. She was like, “these are pretty neat, what are they, like $500 each?” I said “well, they’re more like $4k-6k”. She just could not believe this. I tried to explain about they being some of the most desired titles from a golden age of pinball bla bla. I lost all her respect immediately, it was obvious by her responses and body language (not that I care). But it was an awkward 2 minutes

This is a cool story. If she came to my house and I had to explain what I paid for my CC and my CV HEP, there would have been fewer words spoken and more dirty looks...

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

This is a cool story. If she came to my house and I had to explain what I paid for my CC and my CV HEP, there would have been fewer words spoken and more dirty looks...

You should’ve asked about her purse or jewelry.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

You should’ve asked about her purse or jewelry.

Yep, they have their dirty little secrets too!

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/confessions-of-a-pinball-collector/page/2?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.