Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

It's almost the norm for threads to be into the hundreds or thousands of posts these days. For me, I'm actually more likely to click into a thread with like 20 posts on it because I know I can read it all. 200 posts in a new thread is daunting. 400 new posts on a thread I haven't visited in a while generally means I'm not going in there anymore because I'll never catch up. And even if I do catch up, I'll probably end up in the same situation down the road.

I know that key posts is/was a thing, but most threads have 0 and occasionally I'll see 2 or 3.

I think I'd be interested in condensed threads with just the highlights. The best thought I've had so far is: use the top 5% of posts in a thread as calculated by total thumbs up and down. (I think that way, you'd see the posts with the most thumbs up, most thumbs down, and most controversial ones. Basically, the ones that generated the most interest/reactions.)

Would this feature add value for anyone else?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would add that the % value should be adjustable by the user.

Genius!

#11 3 years ago

I do think an implementation that requires curation could end up with a slightly better result (but that requires a lot of dedication), but I think you could get 90% of the way there by just showing the posts with the most interactions (positive or negative). It's easy enough to try out: just go to a busy thread and scroll down quicky, stopping to read the posts with the most votes. It works quite well in terms of getting the highlights of the topic, but you spend a lot of time scrolling past noise.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you click the tiny trash can at the bottom left of each noise post they will be automatically hidden for everyone who doesn't want to see noise. I don't recall what the default setting is as far as number of users marking a post as trash before it's auto-hidden.

That's a good point.

"Noise" was probably the wrong word. Off topic posts can be trashed, sure, but all the zero and 1 vote posts are contributing and don't need to be hidden from people who want to read the entire thread. And I'm happy to have those posts in smaller threads.

A cliff notes view would make me much more likely to open the many massive threads on this site that I shy away from. When I do click into those, my intention is just to read the first few posts, but then I get sucked in and several pages later am faced with the dilemma: do I drag myself through 10 more pages of this so I get the whole thing (and what's that spike in activity that happens 200 posts from now?), or do I quit probably to never return and wish I had stopped after the first few posts? Maybe I need more self control.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/condensed-threads-just-the-highlights?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.