New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270266)

Condensed threads, just the highlights

By ryanwanger

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

It's almost the norm for threads to be into the hundreds or thousands of posts these days. For me, I'm actually more likely to click into a thread with like 20 posts on it because I know I can read it all. 200 posts in a new thread is daunting. 400 new posts on a thread I haven't visited in a while generally means I'm not going in there anymore because I'll never catch up. And even if I do catch up, I'll probably end up in the same situation down the road.

I know that key posts is/was a thing, but most threads have 0 and occasionally I'll see 2 or 3.

I think I'd be interested in condensed threads with just the highlights. The best thought I've had so far is: use the top 5% of posts in a thread as calculated by total thumbs up and down. (I think that way, you'd see the posts with the most thumbs up, most thumbs down, and most controversial ones. Basically, the ones that generated the most interest/reactions.)

Would this feature add value for anyone else?

#2 4 months ago

I would love this.

#3 4 months ago

Absolutely, way too much noise on the busier threads.
    I love the "key posts" feature, maybe an extra button to vote for a key post instead of leaving it to OP to make posts key?

#4 4 months ago

Yes, and I can agree with your comments. Parts of your post mirror my own thoughts at times.

For example, I do not own the latest Jurassic Park pin. But I would like to know both the positive and negative things being discussed.

I like your solution. I would add that the % value should be adjustable by the user.

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would add that the % value should be adjustable by the user.

Genius!

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I love the "key posts" feature, maybe an extra button to vote for a key post

I have been pestering robin for this feature. Add a key post request to a specific post, the the key post guys can decide.

#7 4 months ago

That might help. Maybe. But I'm not sure any summary can help the cluster that is the Star Trek pins club thread. Why would all the games be in the same club? Baffling. Sorry, but that thread is practically useless when trying to learn anything.

#8 4 months ago

Why?, hot threads are about opinions
    Technical threads usually keep to the subject

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Add a key post request to a specific post, the the key post guys can decide.

He would also have to design a whole new notification method or have incessant PMs in the current mail box.
    OTOH users that want this can volunteer for key post duty and do some of the work themselves rather than create work for others.

#10 4 months ago

Good idea. It should be a filter option for any string, options would be show all, show all posts with n or more thumbs up, and a check box (defaulted) to show any original thread that was quoted in a response meeting the thumbs up criteria. Probably need the OP as well.

#11 4 months ago

I do think an implementation that requires curation could end up with a slightly better result (but that requires a lot of dedication), but I think you could get 90% of the way there by just showing the posts with the most interactions (positive or negative). It's easy enough to try out: just go to a busy thread and scroll down quicky, stopping to read the posts with the most votes. It works quite well in terms of getting the highlights of the topic, but you spend a lot of time scrolling past noise.

#12 4 months ago

If you click the tiny trash can at the bottom left of each noise post they will be automatically hidden for everyone who doesn't want to see noise. I don't recall what the default setting is as far as number of users marking a post as trash before it's auto-hidden.

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you click the tiny trash can at the bottom left of each noise post they will be automatically hidden for everyone who doesn't want to see noise. I don't recall what the default setting is as far as number of users marking a post as trash before it's auto-hidden.

That's a good point.

"Noise" was probably the wrong word. Off topic posts can be trashed, sure, but all the zero and 1 vote posts are contributing and don't need to be hidden from people who want to read the entire thread. And I'm happy to have those posts in smaller threads.

A cliff notes view would make me much more likely to open the many massive threads on this site that I shy away from. When I do click into those, my intention is just to read the first few posts, but then I get sucked in and several pages later am faced with the dilemma: do I drag myself through 10 more pages of this so I get the whole thing (and what's that spike in activity that happens 200 posts from now?), or do I quit probably to never return and wish I had stopped after the first few posts? Maybe I need more self control.

1 week later
    #14 4 months ago

I like the concept but I have doubts......Big question, who is going to designate whats "noise" and what is a highlight post? Thumbs up/down could not be used, hell it's already the most abused function on the site. You'll have groups form that will gain control of threads through their "up or down" votes and thus eliminate all other opinion. I don't know what the answer to this is but if you use thumbs/down as the guide you'll end up with what amounts to censorship beyond that of the mods already.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 89.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Decals
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 39.50
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 9,000.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside