Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150523185126296.jpg
    IMG_0742.JPG
    20150514215603452.jpg
    20150514215550129.jpg
    20150514215534048.jpg
    20150514215538269.jpg
    20150514215522350.jpg
    20150322230016528.jpg
    20150322225851539.jpg
    20150322160746659.jpg
    b4.jpg
    b5.jpg
    b3.jpg
    b1.jpg
    b6.jpg
    b2.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I finally encountered a backglass that is badly flaking away as it sits, and will need attention in order to preserve it.

The go-to solution has been Krylon triple thick, which I fully intended to use, but then I encountered this thread saying that the triple thick cracks and delaminates after a few years--even in optimal storage conditions:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/triple-thick-time-tells-no-lies

Obviously, this made me hesitate for a moment. Is triple thick still the way to go, or have folks started to turn to other methods of preservation, like mylar, or something else?

#2 9 years ago

I have done it on several BGs and only time will tell for now. Hope it holds up.

#3 9 years ago

I have done this plenty of times in the past. Just re-apply a coat when you replace the batteries once a year and you should be ok.

#4 9 years ago

I have also done several back glasses with Triple Thick with very few issues. Certainly no cracking. The only significant issue I ever had was sometimes the Triple Thick would bead up. I actually prefer to do the coating in cooler weather, since in warm weather it dries too fast. In cool weather I just keep the back glass and the paint indoors so that they are both warm when I spray it. Quick trip outside...shoot...let sit for about 5-10 minutes, then back in the house to dry. I also spray right over the score windows. Triple thick should go on heavy (if no paint peeling). Should be able to see a complete wet look to the glass. In order to insure I get a quick wet coat down, regardless of temperature, I shoot the stuff with two cans at once. This insures that I can get it down without it crystalizing. I'd guess in total that I use probably 2/3 of one can . If you have delaminated paint that you would like to try and re-secure you can do the Glad Wrap process. Hose down the affected area, lay some Glad Wrap over it and then place a flat weight on it.....after several hours I like to lift the weight to see if the delaminated areas have been pressed into place. Recently did a FG and when I inspected the delaminated part, the Triple Thick was still fluid and I was able to press that area with fingers to get it to lay down. If you have a back glass with severe flaking, I think it is best to spray a light coat from a greater distance than normal, then after it dries lay down a heavy coat.

Good luck!

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I also spray right over the score windows.

Yes, I also have sprayed TT right over the score windows. If you spray it correctly, only you will know that the score windows were covered over. The grey side off the glass will be shiny when it is all dried so there is no hiding the application of TT.

#6 9 years ago

I use tt a lot and have minimal to no problems.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to go ahead with it. If I mess up, repros are available, so I have a fallback option if things go poorly.

I started taking the trim off the backglass---the top left and right came off without too much trouble, but I'm having trouble with the bottom trim. It seems to have adhered pretty well to the glass. Additionally, this is the where the worst of the flaking damage is. This glass is from a classic Stern--a Seawitch.

What might be a good way to go about removing the metal trim without causing too much damage?

#8 9 years ago

You may want to just leave it on there, Its going to cause more damage to remove it.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

What might be a good way to go about removing the metal trim without causing too much damage?

The "no damage" way is to hang the glass by the stuck metal lip upside down - 1/8" above a folded blanket or foam sheet.

The wight of the glass will slowly pull itself out over a few days, don't try to rush it.

4 milk crates and 2 2x4s will make a "backglass horse".

2 styrofoam sheets on each side will keep the glass from toppling over when it finally drops.

#10 9 years ago

Gatecrasher, here on Pinside, has perfect replacement metal lips

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The weight of the glass will slowly pull itself out over a few days, don't try to rush it.

You have to love science. Gravity, we seem to always be fighting with it.

#12 9 years ago

For once, gravity is fighting on our side.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The "no damage" way is to hang the glass by the stuck metal lip upside down - 1/8" above a folded blanket or foam sheet.
    The wight of the glass will slowly pull itself out over a few days, don't try to rush it.
    4 milk crates and 2 2x4s will make a "backglass horse".
    2 styrofoam sheets on each side will keep the glass from toppling over when it finally drops.

Clever approach--thanks

#14 9 years ago

If you can see where the tape strips are located in the lift channel, you can squirt some Goo-Gone onto the old tape and it will help soften it and make it easier to remove the lift channel. Goo-Gone doesn't seem to hurt the artwork.

If the backglass is flaking at the bottom edge (like a lot of them are), after you remove the lift channel and carefully clean it up you can touch the paint up and then spray a strip of triple thick across the bottom. I do this all the time. I use masking tape and spray an inch or so or however much you need across the bottom. Then when you put the new tape and lift channel on it will be in a strong sealed area. Usually you cannot see it from the front side. I don't spray the entire backside of the backglass unless it needs it.

My lift channels fit Stern games. I used one on a Galaxy the other day. The plastic edge trim fits the sides but needs to be trimmed slightly shorter (easy to do). My plastic trim is black like Bally not white like Stern used but you don't notice it. Early Sterns have a metal piece that goes across the top edge of the backglass so you won't need the top plastic trim piece.

A lift channel set is $20.99 + $7.95 shipping to USA if you need one.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If you can see where the tape strips are located in the lift channel, you can squirt some Goo-Gone onto the old tape and it will help soften it and make it easier to remove the lift channel. Goo-Gone doesn't seem to hurt the artwork.
    If the backglass is flaking at the bottom edge (like a lot of them are), after you remove the lift channel and carefully clean it up you can touch the paint up and then spray a strip of triple thick across the bottom. I do this all the time. I use masking tape and spray an inch or so or however much you need across the bottom. Then when you put the new tape and lift channel on it will be in a strong sealed area. Usually you cannot see it from the front side. I don't spray the entire backside of the backglass unless it needs it.
    My lift channels fit Stern games. I used one on a Galaxy the other day. The plastic edge trim fits the sides but needs to be trimmed slightly shorter (easy to do). My plastic trim is black like Bally not white like Stern used but you don't notice it. Early Sterns have a metal piece that goes across the top edge of the backglass so you won't need the top plastic trim piece.
    A lift channel set is $20.99 + $7.95 shipping to USA if you need one.

Thanks for the tip

For the lift channel, do you have a metal lift channel that fits 3/16" Stern glass, or only plastic?

#16 9 years ago

They are pre-polished stainless steel and will never rust.

Here's a link to my parts flyer:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/280136u.jpg

#17 9 years ago

Well, the backglass has been hanging upsidedown for a few days now, and doesn't seemed to have budged at all. At this point, should I just leave the lift channel as-is and proceed to spray with triple thick, or will that cause problems later on?

#18 9 years ago

Is it warm where it is hanging, or a cold basement?

People do triple thick with the channel still on, but I like to remove it.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Is it warm where it is hanging, or a cold basement?
    People do triple thick with the channel still on, but I like to remove it.

Warm room. Probably about 68-70'F

The top metal channel had two black squares under it adhered to the glass--they looked almost like double-sided foam tape, but they're a bit gooey at this point, so I'm not sure if it was beer seal or foam tape or something else. I'm guessing the lift channel has something similar.

#20 9 years ago

Pry it off. Don't half-ass it by spraying triple thick on the whole thing. You might as well have not done anything then.

I've never had one yet I couldn't remove with some effort and have never broke a backglass doing so. I don't use the gravity method but some say it works. I don't like waiting that long though. I usually just let it soak and yank the trim off by starting at one end and get working it. Once you get it started it will come right off. There are only two or three strips of old tape holding the lift channel on.

#21 9 years ago

As for triple thick holding up.

I asked basically your exact question a few years ago when I also was getting started and was interested in triple thick. I got a response from the person who first did this (or at least popularized it) and they said they have had a few back glasses sitting around in a uninsulated garage for some very long time (decade or more) and they looked as good as the day they sprayed them. I have done it to two of my games and will be spraying a third. Basically, I concluded that its almost impossible that its worse with triple thick. The games I am spraying are OLD- 40 + years of paint on glass. They all have at least one issue (tiny hole, minor cracking, etc)- Even if triple thick does eventually crack, I would guess that my games would have been in worse shape at that point had I not sprayed it.

I will also add that you want to spray evenly and thin- if some one used 1.5 cans of triple thick on a single back glass and ended up with a uneven coat that eventually cracked out I would not be surprised. You could also screw up 2-part clear and get that to look like complete garbage with bubbles etc.... I did NOT read that post suggesting it fails- I don't care what happened there- I did my research, I use it, I have seen zero issues, I will continue to use it.

1 week later
    #22 9 years ago

Ok, after letting hang upsidedown for well over a week without any movement, I went ahead and sprayed some goo gone down on the front seam of the lift channel. After letting it soak for about 5-10 minutes, I was able to pull the channel off by pulling it slowly and firmly.

Of course, every time I moved the backglass, I kept losing flakes

But, I got it off, and sprayed a coat of triple thick on it, and about 30 minutes later, followed up by spraying some areas that didn't quite get full coverage.

It seems to have a bit of a texture to it, which is noticeable a little bit on the score windows. I'm not sure if it will clear up or not after it sits for longer than an hour.

But, overall, it seemed to go well.

Thanks for all the input, feedback, and suggestions--this helped a lot

#23 9 years ago

Here's a photo of the reverse side of the backglass in my little make-shift spray booth. At this point, there's already a couple coats of triple thick down.

20150322160746659.jpg20150322160746659.jpg

I started to try to clear up the display windows with some novus 3, then novus 2, but I ended up going through the triple thick in a few spots, so I had to put another coat down on the windowed areas. I'll try again and see what happens.

#24 9 years ago

Not sure if you've seen this video but it's a great guide. GL

#25 9 years ago

I want to follow this thread since I just bought a Safari that has some backglass issues. Nothing that looks major in the pictures, but it won't get delivered for about a week.

#26 9 years ago

I tried novus again, and still the results were the same. It only seems to help slightly to clear up the display windows. So, it looks like the display windows are going to have to remain a bit cloudy.

Are there any other techniques for addressing triple thick over the display windows, or is that about it?

#27 9 years ago

Well from a prevention standpoint (before you spray) you can cut a small piece of cardboard the size of each score window, set them on the windows, and then put a small weight (a washer or 3-4 coins) on them so the force of the spray doesn't blow them off while spraying, and that way you don't get it on the windows. After the fact, I'm not sure if there's a product that would safely remove it or not.

#28 9 years ago

The product you are seeking is a razor blade and a very steady hand.

#29 9 years ago

I have steady hands, so that's not an issue.

Wouldn't cutting out the triple thick from the display windows destroy the integrity of the coating? Additionally, the credit window has writing in it.

#30 9 years ago

After the fact clearing of score windows can be done but it's not for the faint of heart or shaky hand. I have did the TT on a few glasses before progressing to the masked windows style. So if you have a steady hand and nerves of steel, get some brand new single edged razor blades and an x-acto knife set. The razor blades will do a great job used on the long side of the window. The x-a to set has a blade that is square and narrow enough to do the side edges. Go very easy when you get near the ink. You can actually feel when you come to the ink. I've done it and don't care to do it again. But it can be done. Good luck if you try it!

#31 9 years ago

I was searching around yesterday and found a picture of someone using a scraper to remove the coating over the window. It looked like then end one of those scrapers they use to remove inspections stickers from windshields. Let me see if I can find a picture...

Here we go. Scroll down to section "2g. The Cabinet: Save the Backglass (Krylon Triple Thick)"

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

#32 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll leave it alone for now and wait until I can mount it back into a lit backbox to see how good or bad it looks as it stands, then go from there.

Basically, the objective here was to protect the artwork from flaking off, and that seems to have been successful. So, I think I'll let it be for now.

Back litBack lit
    Front litFront lit

1 month later
    #33 8 years ago

I ended up sealing a second backglass a few weeks ago. This time I covered the score windows with cardboard during spraying (though I did have to do a little scraping with a razor blade for a couple areas where the triple thick went under the cardboard).

Also, because the flakes of paint were lifting off the backglass and not laying flat, I used some plastic wrap (walmart's store brand) to hold areas down flat. I kind of did the backglass in sections so I would have time to position the paint and lay the plastic. After I was done, I let it dry for 20-30 minutes, then brought it inside, and let it sit for 24 hours before *slowly* removing the plastic wrap. After that, I put on a couple more coats of triple thick.

b1.jpgb1.jpg
    b2.jpgb2.jpg
    b3.jpgb3.jpg
    b4.jpgb4.jpg
    b5.jpgb5.jpg
    b6.jpgb6.jpg

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

and let it sit for 24 hours before *slowly* removing the plastic wrap.

I set something heavy and flat on the areas that I have covered with Saran Wrap. I like to peek under the weight after about 12-16 hours to see if the loose paint has been successfully held down... if not I just massage it a little with my fingers to flatten any of it out then put the weight back on. Worked very well on a FG back glass I'm doing now.

#35 8 years ago

I'm going to send my Safari to one of you guys because I'm too afraid to mess it up. I don't suspect I'll ever be able to find another.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm going to send my Safari to one of you guys because I'm too afraid to mess it up. I don't suspect I'll ever be able to find another.

If it's flaking/peeling, I wouldn't try to move it around too much, let alone ship it. You might end up with a pile of paint chips by the time it arrives at its destination

#37 8 years ago

Cleared another one last night. Not as bad as the others, but had some areas that were flaking off every time it moved.

20150514215522350.jpg20150514215522350.jpg20150514215538269.jpg20150514215538269.jpg20150514215534048.jpg20150514215534048.jpg20150514215550129.jpg20150514215550129.jpg20150514215603452.jpg20150514215603452.jpg

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Cleared another one last night. Not as bad as the others, but had some areas that were flaking off every time it moved.
    20150514215522350.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150514215538269.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150514215534048.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150514215550129.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150514215603452.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

How many coats of clear do you usually spray on? One or more? I need to spray my Bronco backglass.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

How many coats of clear do you usually spray on? One or more? I need to spray my Bronco backglass.

I end up using about 3/4 of a can. Maybe 4 coats, plus a little extra in flaking areas--I haven't really been counting. I make sure to put it on thick enough so that flaking areas won't be disturbed if someone touches them or wipes them down for cleaning.

I let each coat dry for 15-20 minutes before putting on another one, and then let the glass dry a full 24 hours after finishing the last coat.

#40 8 years ago

Here's a Flash Gordon that I finished a couple days ago. First treatment was with Saran Wrap along the bottom. I place a weight on the Saran Wrap and after about 12 hours I check to see that the loose paint is held down. In this case it wasn't, so I then gently smooth it down with my fingers. Once fully cured (24-36 hours) I remove the Saran Wrap and wait a few more days for it to fully dry. Very hard to avoid the ripples with Saran Wrap. The Triple Thick had oozed up to the score glasses so I clean those off with a razor blade then I take some heavy grit sandpaper (150-180) and just knock the ridges off the Triple Thick repair. Then I set the glass very level and shoot the whole thing with two cans at once so I can get a very heavy wet coat down in just one application. Using two cans allows you to get fast coverage with no crystalizing. Triple Thick will set very quickly based on the ambient temperature. Came out great. Sprayed right over the score glasses.

IMG_0742.JPGIMG_0742.JPG

#41 8 years ago

I've got an old Hot Tip glass with a lot of cracking and am planning to someday match up paint and airbrush it back to perfection. If I TT it, does it make it impossible to match paint? The paint will be behind the TT when looking through the glass, or is the TT invisible enough that you will be able to backspray it with a match color and never notice.

#42 8 years ago

I've been wondering the same thing. I thought that if you use some colored paper and painter's tape, that might show how things would look when actually painted.

I almost thing there would be shadow lines visible, but I'm not sure.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I've got an old Hot Tip glass with a lot of cracking and am planning to someday match up paint and airbrush it back to perfection. If I TT it, does it make it impossible to match paint? The paint will be behind the TT when looking through the glass, or is the TT invisible enough that you will be able to backspray it with a match color and never notice.

I've always done paint repairs AFTER applying the Triple Thick. Works great once all existing is stabilized. The only time I did a repair before applying the Triple Thick was to a Flash. The reds never did well on the Flash back glass. Mine was just bad in the actual word Flash...The red in the "Flash" is all bordered by black. So I carefully removed all the original red ink, then airbrushed in the red, and backed it with white. Came out beautiful. Once all done the whole back glass was clear coated.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've always done paint repairs AFTER applying the Triple Thick. Works great once all existing is stabilized. The only time I did a repair before applying the Triple Thick was to a Flash. The reds never did well on the Flash back glass. Mine was just bad in the actual word Flash...The red in the "Flash" is all bordered by black. So I carefully removed all the original red ink, then airbrushed in the red, and backed it with white. Came out beautiful. Once all done the whole back glass was clear coated.

I just picked up a flash that's doing the same thing. Did you simply score the paint with an exacto knife to separate the red from the black? How did you remove the red chips without disturbing the surrounding paint? Damp Q-tips?

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just picked up a flash that's doing the same thing. Did you simply score the paint with an exacto knife to separate the red from the black? How did you remove the red chips without disturbing the surrounding paint? Damp Q-tips?

Yes, I just scored the edges, then using a variety of sharp stuff....exacto, razor blades, etc..simply scraped away the paint. Think I just used a dry paint brus to remove the dust. Some of the black outline is pretty thin so you might lose some....just repaint the black you might remove in error first. The airbrush paint I used was Createx transparent red, then a little regular red, then backed it all with an opaque white. Just mask off around the whole "Flash" and paint right over the silver (light block) and the black. The result was awesome and very rich.

1 week later
    #46 8 years ago

As it turned out, the flaking on the backglass on Flash wasn't as bad on the lettering as I rememberd since I only looked at it once before transporting it. So I left it alone. However, the red dress looks like swiss cheese.

I cleared the whole thing earlier today, which went well. I'm not quite sure what to do about the dress, but that's a project for another day. The main thing was to keep the glass from getting worse.

20150523185126296.jpg20150523185126296.jpg
    #47 8 years ago

Just a few years back, when hunting machines was a little more fruitful, my foremost priorities were the condition of the back glass and the playfield. Everything else can be fairly easily repaired. For a bad back glass, unless there was a replacement potential, I generally passed on them.

For the Flash, I wouldn't hesitate to take on the red of the dress and the Flash above. Along the bottom would be a little more challenging, but for the most part it is not transparent so it could be repainted with some success.

#48 8 years ago

You guys are working too hard! Just get some plain old polyurethane at the local hardware store and brush it on your backglass. Been doing it for years with never a problem. Around the score windows, just use the brush to get up close to the edge, but do not go over the clear area. I personally use a foam brush, but a soft bristle brush works just as well.
    If the paint is loose and flaking, dip the brush into the urethane and lower it to within 1/8" of the surface, letting the urethane gently run down onto the surface of the paint where it will slowly spread out and cover the painted area. If you are gentle, you will not disturb even loose and flaking paint.
    Once it is dry, usually the next day, you can apply any touch up over the damaged paint that you like.
    If I can't get the lift channel off, I just cover the backglass right up to the lift channel. Won't hurt anything. Just don't later try to take the lift bar off, or you may pull the urethane coating up where it is attached to the lift channel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/concern-about-using-triple-thick-on-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.