(Topic ID: 242923)

Computer software upgrade rant

By DCRand

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

I know we can't do anything to stop these people

We can with Free and Open Source Software and web apps:

1. Quicken:
    Is there a web or online version for your Quicken program that only requires a web browser? Any OS such as Windows/Linux/MacOS
    can run these web apps with only a browser.

2. Microsoft Office:
    Free alternatives LibreOffice and OpenOffice will do most of what most Microsoft Office programs will do. These run on Windows,
    Linux, and possibly other operating systems. Or you can subscribe
    to Office 365 and use the web apps in a browser, but this is still
    proprietary.

3. Adobe:
    Unfortunately many Adobe programs have their niche and nearly
    all software from Adobe only runs on Windows. However, there are free and open source alternatives for viewing (and I believe editing) PDF documents if that is what you are trying to do.

4. Microsoft Windows:
    You can try Linux, which still has a limited but quickly growing free and open source software library. It’s super secure, can be configured to update only when you want, is free and uses code that is peer reviewed worldwide by millions of people. However, gaming and hardware support is still relatively limited, but both of these issues are improving every day.

5. You can contact Quicken and Adobe’s support departments and
    leave public feedback on community sites to push for improvement.
    If we pressure these companies in to improving their software, they
    likely will.

#8 4 years ago

I am a level 2 support engineer. I can guarantee you there are tickets in my queue daily regarding some bug or design problem with Windows 10 or Server 2016. Freezing, reboots getting stuck, issues with failing updates, problems with typing in to Windows Explorer because the language bar process isn't running, problems with Quickbooks freezing and being slow vs. Windows 7 on similar hardware in the same network, etc.

I'm happy to support Microsoft products as it's great job security, but at home I'm in the process of switching to Linux Mint. I've installed it on my secondary PC and laptop, and working on my main Windows 7 PC now to get it ready. Plus, this extra experience will allow me to diversify my resume as running Windows is getting more and more difficult for small businesses. I feel one day Linux will overcome Windows as a desktop workstation OS, whether it be running on a fat client running FOSS applications or thin client running web apps. I've already used and managed Dell Wyse and HP Linux based thin clients in the past (although they have been a pain due to poor software design, not necessarily the OS).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-software-upgrade-rant?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.