(Topic ID: 242923)

Computer software upgrade rant

By DCRand

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So does anyone else remember the "bad" old days when if you wanted a software upgrade you went to the store and bought it? Boy I am sorry those days are gone. NOW every time my computer, which I rely on daily to make my living, is working reasonably well some jerk at Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe, or Quicken, decides it is time to push an upgrade and F up my computer. Last week, quicken completely screwed up my financial tracking by pushing an upgrade that then had Quicken opening with a blank screen. Still not fixed and having to run finances from my wife's computer. Today Adobe pushed an upgrade that now causes either Save or Save as to open with a blank save screen - lost 1/2 hour of work on a PDF and still not solved. One Office "upgrade" changed the save button and now the first time I change a document that I just opened, a Save As screen opens instead of just saving the stupid file. So three clicks, instead of one. And these are the latest in a long line of push upgrades F'ing up my computer and causing lost time and energy.

I know we can't do anything to stop these people, but sure wish I could unhook this feature from all software, and do upgrades on my own time and choosing like the "bad" old days pre-internet. ( And yes, I know there are a lot of great things from the Internet, like Pinside, but this upgrade system, isn't one of them)

#7 4 years ago

Thanks and sadly op system and Office suite is Company provided and required. Worse yet, it’s office 365, yea!!!!

And I have turned off updates only to have them over ridden, or mysteriously changed in the next update I “accepted”.

Re phone, I often joke that the Apple changes from OS6 to OS 7 were proof that Steve Jobs had died.

Thanks all for responding to my rant, even though not Pin related.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCRand.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-software-upgrade-rant?tu=DCRand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.