(Topic ID: 232841)

Computer Engineering vs. Computer Science Degrees (School Selection)

By iamabearsfan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190105-155242_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 5 years ago

My take:
Computer Engineering

Why? I went into Electrical Engineering with a emphasis on computing systems as a result I took almost as many CS courses as EE courses. I really enjoyed the CS courses; but the reality is that I would have never considered CS because it's basically a degree of washouts. IE people that can't handle the Engineering courses wash out into CS, Business, or Economics majors. That said; I did graduate in 96 so... times may have changed. Even back then; the CS majors were almost 95% Indian transfer students.

I graduated in 96... did a year at AMAT working on computer chip fab equipment then immediately got a job working for the leading CPU manufacturer with a site in Hillsboro, OR. I've been working for them for 23 years. I've held a handful of positions at this employer and have enjoyed the jobs for the most part. I've almost always gravitated toward the software roles... because I have the right logical mind to debug those systems. At the moment; I hold the title of SR Firmware Engineer so I interact with the CPU and the software which runs it (UEFI).

If I were to do it over again; I'd probably still get a BSEE... but minor in CS instead of math. I hated advanced math classes... and still do. If your son can't make it as an EE; then he could transfer to the CS college without loosing a lot of credits.

1 month later
#40 5 years ago

That's called School of Hard Knocks.
My first PC was built out of the back of a Computer Shopper back in 1990 and it didn't even have a hard drive at the time. That will put hair on your "computer" chest. That "event" eventually led me to a job with a dropped E in Hillsboro.

Never be afraid to figure stuff out on your own.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

When I was done he had one question -- "what's a register?"

Did you send him to the manager of a Grocery store via a pinkslip?
Cause yeah; umm... that's bad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-engineering-vs-computer-science-degrees-school-selection?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.