(Topic ID: 232841)

Computer Engineering vs. Computer Science Degrees (School Selection)

By iamabearsfan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190105-155242_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 5 years ago

I'm a mechanical engineer, BSME 02 from SUNY Buffalo. But I went back to school and got a degree in computer science because it turned out that there was so much overlap. I was designing heat exchangers, but the tech is so old that I was able to write a program to do most of my job. In my area, mechanical engineering didn't pay that well, but software engineering did. I all but abandoned my mechanical engineering past and i'm a full time software engineer now. I love having the mechanical background and I still love manufacturing, but there's just no money in it in comparison.

I don't see the value in out of state tuition. Right now my alma mater is about 8k per year and i have yet to meet someone that can do anything that i can't. You don't buy intelligence.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

We called mechanical engineering “pre business”... because it was the discipline most engineers switched to before they dropped out of the engineering school entirely and switched to business majors

Industrial was the last stop before dropping out of engineering. Anyone that started out in industrial was immediately doomed to business.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-engineering-vs-computer-science-degrees-school-selection?tu=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.