(Topic ID: 232841)

Computer Engineering vs. Computer Science Degrees (School Selection)

By iamabearsfan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190105-155242_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 5 years ago

I have a Computer Engineering degree. When I explain what it is to people I say that it is basically an Electrical Engineering degree with a Computer Science minor. Both degrees were from the Electrical Engineering department and at the time there were only six classes difference between EE and CP (computer engineering). A lot of people got a double degree rather than getting a Masters in one or the other. On the other hand Computer Science is not an engineering degree and was run by the math department. There is almost no overlap in classes. For instance, when I took chemistry, physics and statics/dynamics classes; I took them with the chemistry, physics and mechanical engineering majors. Computer Science also took chemistry and physics but at a much more remedial level similar to the honors level classes I had in high school.

Nothing wrong with Computer Science, but if the kid has the aptitude I would definitely suggest Computer Engineering as not only a better education, but to open more doors. Sure they might end up programming for a business and not need the science background, but who knows? Might end up designing robotics or something and really need the engineering background not only to pass the interview.

I work as a contractor for NASA and hire entry level engineers every year straight out of college. I have never hired a Computer Science major for one simple reason: NASA won't let me. They have a list of accepted degrees and CS is not one of them even with a Masters. We hire Electrical, Computer, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineers predominately.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

^ John, I'd be very interested to know what your experience has been with recent graduate engineers. I've worked in automation for manufacturing for the past 30 years, and have seen a seismic shift in the abilities of graduate engineers. Especially disciplines that actually require work outside of a pc and a bean bag chair. Noone wants to work in the dirt anymore.

I've been pretty impressed with the younger engineers that we have hired. Most of them recently have had Aerospace Engineering degrees. When you talk to them, they made that decision because they wanted to work on rockets or fighter planes. So they chose a degree to work on something they think is cool, rather than just going through the paces because their parents wanted them to go to college. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time working along side SpaceX engineers and can tell you they all work hard and long hours, just like I did back in the day. They want to work there because it is cool to be part of such cutting edge work and they get to see their capsules dock with the Space Station. The programmers get to program autopilots and systems to fuel the rocket at the pad instead of working some mundane database in sector 13G of some business that pumps out widgets.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-engineering-vs-computer-science-degrees-school-selection?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.