(Topic ID: 232841)

Computer Engineering vs. Computer Science Degrees (School Selection)

By iamabearsfan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190105-155242_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

A *lot* of employers don't care if it's an ivy league school or cheaper state school.
What is frequently looked at is:
1 -- is the school accredited.
2 -- that the student followed through and completed the degree
3 -- GPA. High GPA is good but so are the middle of the road GPAs, afterall - employers know that many students cannot devote full time and must also work to pay for school. Lower GPAs - even those are fine if the student worked a full time job during school and has the proper aptitude.
4 -- Does candidate have any work history showing reliability (e.g. maintained part time job while at school).

Some computer science jobs such as programmers are very high in demand.
So are the the IT guys that can properly configure CISCO type firewalls, switches, etc and manage Windows/Unix servers. For these - as long as the candidate has a pulse, they usually get hired.

1 month later
#53 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Computer Shopper Magazine...That's a blast from the past. I was coding on TRS Model 1's and 3's, sinclairs, and the old timex PC's. Dual Floppy's and a tape drive for the OS and Programs.

You could afford floppy's for them?!?!
I still have my CTR-80 for loading programs onto my old TRS-80 Model 1 from Cassette.
I got interested in electronics when I saw an article in the high school library -- "Build the Cosmac Elf computer" in a 1976 Popular Electronics magazine. Back then you could buy tons of miscellaneous parts from "Poly Paks" grab bags at dirt cheap prices, I think they pretty much sold factory floor sweepings. Some little operation known as "Digikey" also ads in the back for cheap parts as well. Then there was James Electronics - bit of a name change since then. Yes, this belongs in the "you know you're old thread".

Back on topic --
Where I'm at - we put far more emphasis on the type of degree and the individual's knowledge than where the degree came from.
A true EE degree had a lot more math back ground in addition to other engineering type classes (I loved engineering statics class). By the time an EE got out of school - he could design the hardware AND the software to run on the hardware. Most of today's software guys can design the software but have no clue about how the hardware works. My favorite was when I gave instructions to a software guy on how to make a product work -- a VME bus communications board. Write to this register to do this, read from this register to do that..etc. When I was done he had one question -- "what's a register?"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-engineering-vs-computer-science-degrees-school-selection?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.