(Topic ID: 232841)

Computer Engineering vs. Computer Science Degrees (School Selection)

By iamabearsfan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Richthofen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190105-155242_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

All:
I know some of you are of the engineering background. Some of you are programmers that have Comp Sci degrees. I have a junior in High School that was following his brothers footsteps and was planning on going to Purdue to be a Mechanical Engineer. Why? Probably because it is what he and his brother were talking about. His brother is a freshman at Purdue. Then as of recently my High Schooler stated he likes his programming classes. The kid is ripping through the assignments and has taken a liking to it. He also is really sharp (obviously got it from his mother as I wasn't that disciplined in High School!). He is likely going to have a choice of schools because he has a 36 on the ACT.
Here is my question. Should he be exploring Computer Engineering or Computer Science? With that in mind, is it worth it for him to consider some of these high-end schools. Cost is a lot higher for sure. Our plan was to move to Indiana as he graduated with the hopes of getting a few years of in-state tuition for the boys. There is a one-year cool-off period, but we would at least get a couple years of relief if we moved. Comparing that cost to an MIT is crazy. Was hoping they would have minimal student loans....but if it is an MIT or Standford, the High Schooler would graduate with a lot more debt....possibly north of 80K. Is a degree from one of those schools worth it?
Would love thoughts on both issues as what is out there on the web is very slanted IMHO.
Thanks in advance for any input...
Dave

University of Illinois is one of the best engineering schools in the country. I work with several people from there. Why not there if he can get in? A BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering would likely yield more job opportunities than mechanical.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from amkirk:

I got a Computer Science degree from NC State.

Also from NC State but for EE. I think I was 15 credits short of qualifying for a Computer Engineering degree as well by the nature of the EE program but had no interest in that.

1 month later
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Exact same here....I started in CPE and ended up with a degree in EE at NCSU, class of 89.
I would give NCSU more credit than the member that you replied to however. NCSU routinely ranks in the top 20 engineering schools, top 10 in Ag and Materials Engineering. The CSC department is usually around top 40, but the online CSC is ranked top 5.

I was class of 93. I agree about the ranking. I assumed he was referring to the top 5 or 10 engineering schools that get glorified in the movies like MIT and Cal Tech. I do agree that top students at an accredited state school are likely to be more desirable candidates for jobs than average students at schools like MIT. Also, common sense and good economic sense are two characteristics that should be very valued when looking for engineering job candidates.

I have been happy with my career with the exception of graduating during a terrible recession where it was hard to even get an interview, but if I had it all to do over again I would probably have become an accountant (and CPA) because I find myself very in tune with math and financial data.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

As a side note, I notice you're living in VA. Don't know if you're still a Pack fan, but a close one against #1 VA this past tuesday, and we have VA Tech coming to town this weekend.

My father was a VA Tech EE grad, and my uncle was a UVA EE grad. I never really loved either one of those and grew up following UNC and NC State basketball (yes both). In Virginia the rivalry between NC State and UNC was meaningless to us so I could like both and still do. Unfortunately, when I was there NC State basketball collapsed as Valvano left and Rodney Monroe and Corchiani finished their playing careers and it has not been the same since then.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Amazing what just a few years difference makes...I attended from the championship years through the 87 acc championship year. Laid out a year for back surgery then finished in 89. We've got a good one in Keatts now...we will make noise again in the tournaments...just a matter of time.
Anyway back to engineering talk...didn't mean to divert the thread

24 points at home? I don't know if Keatts is the answer. I don't get my hopes up anymore.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/computer-engineering-vs-computer-science-degrees-school-selection?tu=DCFAN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.