7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I am considering having a play field restored. However I am very apprehensive about the disassembly of the underside. Aside from taking numerous digital photographs, bagging and tagging all hardware, are there any other tips on removing the assembly?
    (Gottlieb King of Diamonds)

#2 7 years ago

Label all your wires. You can't have to many pictures or labels. Take more pictures than you think you need, you never know when you might need a different angle to see exactly how something goes. Lots of different angles and distances.

#6 7 years ago

Look into building a rotisserie. Probably the best equipment I own for working on pins. Other than that. You can't take enough pictures, or label too much. Take the extra minute and photograph and label. I tend to go by date when backing up the photos on my computer. The key is to make sure that you are comfortable with your organization. I also set up a few tables prior, and take parts off and lay them in the order I removed them along with taking notes in a notebook. That way to reassemble, I just go through my notes (and items on the table) backwards and the pics line up. All in all, just get in there, don't be afraid, and have fun.

#7 7 years ago

Start with all the Solonoids and harness then swap over the switch harness then the lighting harness.

#8 7 years ago

I was also worried.

I went overboard and numbered every single screw and put each screw in a plastic bag. Then photographed every screw and then numbered it.

Took ages but every screw went back to the right place!

Overall took 300 - 400 photos.

Also go round the ground wire with pencil so you can get it back on perfect.

Actually if this is a restoration, leave the ground wire on.

Unsolder lamps etc so loom comes off.

#9 7 years ago

For me, it was easier to label the wires to the lamps with masking tape and to number
    the wires on the step up unit. Yes, take pictures it is a good backup plan.
    For the step-up unit, you can lay the tape flat against the wires on both sides
    so as to encase them flat in a row.
    "go round the ground wire with a pencil" good practice.
    Use masking tape to hold the two screws and plate assembly together
    on each switch assembly. Etc, etc, etc.

#10 7 years ago

If you upgrade to zip-ties with "plastic" tags, then you can drive screws into each tag, and it will survive a hose or dishwasher.
    -mof

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.