Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by solarvalue
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

So...I am interested in building games for the P3. I know nothing about programming. Let's see how this goes.

I thought I would start a thread here to document my progress. I considered posting something over on the Multimorphic forum, which I may do at a later date, but then decided that it would be useful to have this discussion out in the open here and maybe other Pinsiders might be inspired to start learning how to create games on the P3 as well.

As I said, I'm a complete beginner. I don't expect this to be easy or quick or that I will even succeed in this endeavor but I need to start somewhere, so this is it, the beginning.

So far I have put myself on the P3 pre-order list (it's free to do so). I emailed Gerry of Multimorphic and asked how to get going. He suggested that I get familiar with C# as all of the code for game logic will be done in that language. He also suggested that I download Unity3D and start going thorough some game tutorials. Apparently, Unity3D is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) which allows you to manipulate graphics. When you download Unity3D it also comes with an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) which is a software application used to edit the C# code.

Last night I started downloading Unity3D from their website. It was very easy and I left it to install overnight. This morning it had finished. I started up the program and created an account. It was fun to fill in the survey and to enter "Other>P3" when I was asked what platform I intended to develop games for. Hmm...Maybe I should have written "Multimorphic P3"?

Gerry said that the IDE that comes with Unity would be called Monodevelop, but I actually got Microsoft Visual Studio 2015. It seems that Unity decided to switch to Visual Studio at some stage. This may be advantageous because it seems that there are a lot of C# tutorials which use Visual Studio.

The Unity3D and Visual Studio buttons look nice on the task bar of my computer, I feel like a game developer already.

OK, that's where I'm at. I hope to start with some C# tutorial sometime in the next few days. Please chime in with your thoughts and suggestions but remember, I'm a complete beginner, talk to me like I'm a child.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If the development environment is primarily C# I suggest getting a book like "teach yourself C# in 21 days".

Thanks for your input and the suggestion.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

does C+ help for the P-roc stuff as well?

As I understand it, development of custom games using the P-ROC and P3-ROC boards is mostly done with Python, while game development on the P3 platform requires C# (not C+).

Just to back up a little for people who don't know, the P3 is a multi-game pinball platform developed by Multimorphic, it's like a console system for pinball games. Game software and playfield modules can be swapped over in seconds. This video serves as a great introduction to the system:

Anyone can develop games for the P3, it's all open source. The team at Multimorphic are currently working on a Game Development Kit which should be released to the public shortly, which is why I have decided to start preparing now.

#8 5 years ago

I found this free set of video tutorials called "C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners" on the Microsoft Virtual Academy:

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-16169?l=xXJ2mTRIC_1306218949

The tutorials seem good, the host explains things clearly and it moves pretty slowly.
    I watched the introduction and did the first tutorial tonight. Then I completed the small test at the end. So far so good, it felt satisfying to write my first lines of code.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

The tutorials you can find from the Unity website are pretty great too. My son had a rolling ball game that has you collecting blocks running in an evening. It was using C# in the tutorial.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out at some stage, I'll just get a handle on the basic coding first.

#14 5 years ago

Did another 3 lessons tonight, gotta hit the hay.

4 years later
    #16 7 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

solarvalue how is it going?

Ha, thanks for pulling this thread up. I am actually still working on this believe it or not. However, I partnered with two other people along the way, so someone else is handling the programming side of things.

#19 7 months ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Does this mean you guys are developing a game for the system?

Yes we are, but we are hobbyists and it is a very slow process so don't get your hopes up for seeing anything soon. We go through phases where we work on it very intensely but there are other times where not much happens for months. It has to fit around our everyday lives. Great fun though!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside