(Topic ID: 169983)

Competition is a GOOD thing for consumers!!!!!

By CrazyLevi

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lot-of-3-2003-Mcdonalds-Happy-Meal-Toys (resized).jpg
    ccfa241f86282ede728fd027fc206bf9 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

"Competition is a GOOD thing for consumers!!!"

With approximately one new pinball company declaring their entry into the pinball wars per week, I see this statement around here a lot, as if it is some kind of immutable law of capitalism that is beyond critique.

I say this isn't always true.

I'm old enough to remember when suddenly, 7-11 was selling Atari cartridges. A dozen companies sprouted up, hoping to cash in on the Atari money train. Infamously, a DOG FOOD COMPANY put out an Atari game. Spoiler: Chase the Chuck Wagon was not a big hit.

These games were designed and released quickly by people who didn't know what they were doing, and most were terrible. This was a big part of the video game crash that almost destroyed the video game industry, as consumer confidence was destroyed.

Now, I'm not saying we are going to see thousands of Houdini machines buried in a New Mexico landfill. I'm simply suggesting that the fact that we now have 2 dozen pinball manufacturers instead of 1 isn't necessarily a good thing, and it's certainly doesn't guarantee quality product. The industry is VERY top heavy right now.

#2 7 years ago

ok

#3 7 years ago

There's not really anywhere for pinball to go but up. If these new companies don't make it, we're right back where we were with just Stern. Might as well let them give it a go.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

There's not really anywhere for pinball to go but up. If these new companies don't make it, we're right back where we were with just Stern. Might as well let them give it a go.

You believe that operators and collectors can continue to support ever increasingly costly pinballs? We are at 8-10k for a fully featured machine now and they are only getting more expensive. If the cost increases continue at the steady pace they have been even stern will be out of business.

#5 7 years ago

Personally, I can't wait to see this house of cards come crashing down. I don't know the BOM/POM for a new machine, but there ain't no way in fricking hell it increased $3000+ in about a 10 year period.

Pinball survived with only Stern around, and it'll survive another "oh shit" time period like it did during the 2000s. This $8k-$10k for a fully featured machine crap needs to end. This tier stacking crap needs to end - 1 machine was just fine and worked well for decades before Stern read enough messages here and said "Oh, ok, let's milk the community some more"

Stern needs to get a good reality check and stop screwing over the people that held their head above water. Yeah, we may need them for new machines (maybe...), but they definitely need us to give them a reason to be around.

#6 7 years ago

^ Amen! ^

#7 7 years ago

There is a formula. But Stern abandoned it years ago:

"New" pinball is completely backward; making less and charging more. Makes no sense to me, and I expected the market shift long before now. There is obviously some deep pockets in the pinball "collector/speculator" market to support these backward business models.

#8 7 years ago

ccfa241f86282ede728fd027fc206bf9 (resized).jpgccfa241f86282ede728fd027fc206bf9 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I'd love to see prices dip back down into quasi-realistic territory, but until someone else besides Stern can just crank out games to fill the desires of people who want something NOW, all this competition really isn't competition.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now, I'm not saying we are going to see thousands of Houdini machines buried in a New Mexico landfill.

Upvote for the ET reference!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

I wouldn't be so sure. IBM was totally dominating the computer market like Stern is with pinball. I'm sure I dont need to remind you how two guys in a garage built a computer company (Apple) that essentially took over the electronics landscape while IBM faded to obscurity. Who knows who the next two guys in a garage are that will be the next major pinball company. They need to outsmart Stern with innovations and a perfect mix of features and affordability.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I wouldn't be so sure. IBM was totally dominating the computer market like Stern is with pinball. I'm sure I dont need to remind you how two guys in a garage built a computer company (Apple) that essentially took over the electronics landscape while IBM faded to obscurity. Who knows who the next two guys in a garage are that will be the next major pinball company. They need to outsmart Stern with innovations and a perfect mix of features and affordability.

Jobs got booted from his own company and got brought back in a decade later by the man who dominated the pc market. Wozniak learned he was a terrible pilot and while still technically an employee has not been part of the company since the mid 80s.

IBM does what they do best. Come up with something, get it going, and sell it off. They make their bread and butter off fat service contracts and as such are excellent at reinventing themselves.

#13 7 years ago

As much competition as McDonalds has now, people still line up around the building to eat their crappy hambugers and fries.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As much competition as McDonalds has now, people still line up around the building to eat their crappy hambugers and fries.

Since the show Diners Drivers and Dives, people are putting more value in boutique foods and gourmet burgers etc. I think McDonalds posted their first loss in their history a few years ago because people want better than crap. But you are right, people still line up around the building just not as much.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Competition is a GOOD thing for consumers!!!"

This is exactly what I thought when JJP joined the fun.
    I was wrong. It simply told Stern there was a market for expensive pins.

#16 7 years ago

Since the show Diners Drivers and Dives, people are putting more value in boutique foods and gourmet burgers etc.

Nice to see we can use a foodgument and not get pinside too angry.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

A more expensive pin isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at the mod market and how many thousands of dollars people put into their machines on top of the original purchase price. If they created a more expensive pin loaded with features then that would be cool with a certain segment of the pinball community who want feature rich product. If you are buying a premium or an LE and you are still buying mods for it then there is a problem. JJP offered a feature rich product at a higher price. Stern just matched their price.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

JJP offered a feature rich product at a higher price. Stern just matched their price.

Be prepared to get educated by Dr. Flynnibus since he has a PhD in pinball economics and will compare this to the iphone or GT-R

#19 7 years ago

The only way that increased competition is good, is the belief of either a better product, or a less expensive cost, or something of both.

In the pin industry, the only way that this can be successful, even with higher prices, is new customers.
    Enlarging the market.

Is this what Stern Stores are suppose to be?

Its my hope with increased competition, Pinball gets lots more PR. Holiday Positioning, TV shows, Celebrity Playing, Oprah, etc...

If this happens, then competition can grow, and we should see innovation, and cost benefits.

Certainly renewed interest and demand will also drive up restored and classic pins too.

But with all these new games, and no market growth, I dont see how all can be supported. But its still possible.

#20 7 years ago

A more expensive pin isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at the mod market and how many thousands of dollars people put into their machines on top of the original purchase price. If they created a more expensive pin loaded with features then that would be cool with a certain segment of the pinball community who want feature rich product. If you are buying a premium or an LE and you are still buying mods for it then there is a problem. JJP offered a feature rich product at a higher price. Stern just matched their price.

Except at some point the market becomes over-saturated and people stop justifying the expense.

The quick and dirty history.
    Late 90's pinball tanks.
    Early to mid 2ks, collectors are buying games cheap. Parts are difficult to come by and little in the way of repo parts.
    05-10 cheap pins dry up. more people get in due to the power of the internet and a resurgence in parts/knowledge.
    10 to now people who got in early fuel new purchases by selling off old machines that are now worth $$. New blood throws money at whatever moves to build their collections.

Not saying the hobby is going to tank in an instant, but at some point it will be over saturated. Unless you continually get new blood eventually there is going to be a point where people simply do not have the room or funds. The higher the cost for new machines the sooner this happens.

Now, if there is some new development that renders DMD titles archaic they might drop in value while newer machines don't. LCDs have been argued as one possibility, but they have been in machines for a few years now and have not shown to be a revolution.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Stern read enough messages here and said "Oh, ok, let's milk the community some more"
    Stern needs to get a good reality check and stop screwing over the people that held their head above water. Yeah, we may need them for new machines (maybe...), but they definitely need us to give them a reason to be around.

Dear NPO,
    It is with heavy hearts and a slight smirk we must inform you that your Stern Army application has been DENIED.
    Lol,
    Uncle Gary

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Except at some point the market becomes over-saturated and people stop justifying the expense.
    The quick and dirty history.
    Late 90's pinball tanks.

Capcom and Alvin G. and Co came and went in the 1990s, trying to get in on the gold rush. They didn't last too long. And those guys had at least some experienced industry folks behind them and a healthy operator market.

I expect a repeat of this, in some part. There's no way the hobby or what's left of route pinball can support 6...7...how many is it now?

And as I've said before, "The hobby" is gonna be just fine regardless of what happens.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll trade you a Big Mac meal for a pinball machine.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I'll trade you a Big Mac meal for a pinball machine.

Which one?

Lot-of-3-2003-Mcdonalds-Happy-Meal-Toys (resized).jpgLot-of-3-2003-Mcdonalds-Happy-Meal-Toys (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Capcom and Alvin G. and Co came and went in the 1990s, trying to get in on the gold rush. They didn't last too long. And those guys had at least some experienced industry folks behind them.

What would have happened with Capcom if they hadn't pushed out Flipper Football first, and no one had seen Zingy Bingy?

#26 7 years ago

In the world of business, not every business is successful
    I've seen business Start Up, and then close six months later

There is nothing wrong with having a dream, but as we have seen, having a dream is not enough, yoy need to have a business plan

Us pinfans need to stop trowing money at dreamers

#27 7 years ago

Those are pinball machines like McDonalds is food.

#28 7 years ago

Increased competition is good but needs a qualifier...and that is competition with lower prices with same or better quality. Then the house of cards will come crashing down. If every guy that enters charges the same amount then that won't help much.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Capcom and Alvin G. and Co came and went in the 1990s, trying to get in on the gold rush. They didn't last too long. And those guys had at least some experienced industry folks behind them and a healthy operator market.
    I expect a repeat of this, in some part. There's no way the hobby or what's left of route pinball can support 6...7...how many is it now?
    And as I've said before, "The hobby" is gonna be just fine regardless of what happens.

Early 90's were a boom time for pinball. Mid to late 90's was a death spiral.

Alvin G tried to make budget games out of a Hospital. Originally Alvin G wanted to sell designs to Premiere who turned them down. They blew a chunk of change making their head to head games which were doomed, punchy the clown was doomed, and their pins were going up against Williams heyday. No manufacturer gives the budget or time to design new machines that 90's williams did.

Capcom's designers soured their relationship with their Japanese owners. Making Zingy Bingy off the books to the tune of what 100k? Name another company that ever pulled something so insane. Capcom's other problem was williams strangling distributors to not sell their machines.

If you want to go down this path explain why Gotlieb went under and Data East sold out to Sega. Two very established companies who both went under in the same time frame.

#30 7 years ago

I don't want to go down any path. I'm just suggesting that there's no way in hell all of the companies at expo survive till a few expos from now.

Time will tell.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What would have happened with Capcom if they hadn't pushed out Flipper Football first, and no one had seen Zingy Bingy?

Same thing. Python was gone in January 1996. They were losing $1K a unit going out the door. BBB wouldn't have saved them. If anything they would have lost more money sooner.

LTG : (

#32 7 years ago

Bump to keep the topic flame going.

#33 7 years ago

I believe price reversals will only come when secondary sales on newer pins tank big and consistently. Stern and others see too much money left on the table.

#34 7 years ago

I think small manufactures like Spooky can survive since they do such small runs - the collector market is enough to carry them for the forseeable future, as long as they stay under $7K.

The bigger guys? Time will tell. Heighway is well positioned to serve the non-US markets, though.

#35 7 years ago

Not necessarily the greatest of analogies. IBM is still one of the tech giants today worth billions, it just shifted it's business model. They did obviously make a huge mistake at the time thinking that the manufacturing of computer hardware was the cash cow while allowing Bill Gates to own and license the OS to its competitors though.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't want to go down any path. I'm just suggesting that there's no way in hell all of the companies at expo survive till a few expos from now.
    Time will tell.

Which is why I call shenanigans. You open the door and want to throw out different companies under different circumstances, but "don't want to discuss" when someone calls you on it.

The current crop of pin manufacturers don't face anything like the problems from those in the 90s. In their favor is that Stern doesn't have the same level of influence or budget that Williams did. The flipside is that the market is smaller and Skit Bi and Jpop have scared off many to preordering from smaller companies. They might succeed, they might fail, but its not going to be for the same reason Capcom or Alvin G did.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Which is why I call shenanigans. You open the door and want to throw out different companies under different circumstances, but "don't want to discuss" when someone calls you on it.
    The current crop of pin manufacturers don't face anything like the problems from those in the 90s. In their favor is that Stern doesn't have the same level of influence or budget that Williams did. The flipside is that the market is smaller and Skit Bi and Jpop have scared off many to preordering from smaller companies. They might succeed, they might fail, but its not going to be for the same reason Capcom or Alvin G did.

You got a whole lot of excuses. Of course there are "different circumstances" it's 20 years later.

There are more pinball companies now than there were in the 1950s. I don't see it working out.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You got a whole lot of excuses. Of course there are "different circumstances" it's 20 years later.
    There are more pinball companies now than there were in the 1950s. I don't see it working out.

Excuses? What excuses? Point to the reasons that the two companies you used as examples failed. Relate those to the present companies. They don't match and thus your point was not valid. Get over it.

#39 7 years ago

Stern made many duds when they had no competition. The boutique companies pop up and Stern games have greatly improved as far as game play (and sometimes artwork) in the past couple of years.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

and it's certainly doesn't guarantee quality product

The companies that are selling limited numbers of machines to capitalize on profit and make sure they sell out are a problem. People jump on the band wagon thinking they better buy one because they are limited end up with a garage build quality machine with 3D printed parts. Then to see these low quality machines trying to fetch $11,000 NIB is a complete joke. Some of the boutique companies need to eliminate limited number machines and sell them at a reasonable price with unlimited quantities. Price them according to build quality.

On the flip side of supply vs demand-If China gets into pinball we possibly could see a price increase and a backorder backlog. Hopefully they stick with Hello Kitty

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from timelord_warner:

I believe price reversals will only come when secondary sales on newer pins tank big and consistently. Stern and others see too much money left on the table.

Definitely was more money on the table for the home market/collector. Stern saw this and decided to cash in as well. Shame of it is that doing so prices out most of the operators IMO. Yes there are exceptions in some select markets where they can have a decent ROI, but they are few and far between. Double edge sword. Kinda surprised since Gary had repeatedly said that without operators pinball is good as dead in the future and his track record for supporting ops. Seems to me that he decided to say screw it and build the wealth of the company...possibly because he is about to exit and retire (pure speculation on my part). I don't know if backroom deals are being made for some ops but I overheard Gary at Amusement Expo in Vegas offering someone to buy games direct from him for quite a discount and stipulated to him that this price was only if he bought direct through him and not one of his Distro's. I was shocked at the price and it shows how much the mark up for Stern is currently and leads me to speculate how cheap they can make these machines in their production volume levels.

#42 7 years ago

I dunno, I'm with Levi here, it's hard to see too many players surviving. This hobby might be growing, but there are only so many people with fat wallets buying expensive games. At a certain point you over-fish the pond.

Maybe everyone can find their niche and ways to cater to the market and it will work out, but if there are suddenly 10 games announced at $7k+ price points do you really think there are enough customers to make all of them profitable and sustainable?

#43 7 years ago

A few years ago I wouldn't have imagined buying more than a single NIB pin. This year I'm getting two and that's really stretching it. After that to get another pin something will have to get sold first, but I'm enjoying all the pins I have right now. So the money is partly the issue, but physical space is a bigger issue for me.

If there was a single new pin coming out each year then I may be able to swing getting it and rotating the new pin in and out each year. With multiples there is no way. I think each new pin will sell less units from this point out. There's been a great flow of new games recently and honestly I'll be looking to picking up some of those used going forward.

If you're truly a boutique (like Spooky) and looking to make a few hundred and sell those while designing another game I can see you surviving. If you're coming into the market and expecting to sell thousands of new pins each year I think there will be disappointment.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, I'm with Levi here, it's hard to see too many players surviving.

Which one's going to bite the dust first?

After that it should be like a snowball effect with all the others. Perhaps the OP could add a poll.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/competition-is-a-good-thing-for-consumers?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.