• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220117-064649.png
Screenshot_20220117-063907.png
#1 2 years ago

It seems like the backglass layout of a bunch of the early solid state Williams games have a similar layout for the score display position. I am attempting to transplant a Cosmic Gunfight playfield and backglass into a Tri Zone cabinet. Does anyone know if a CG backglass will line up with Tri Zone backbox light insert, in regards to the location of the score displays?

#2 2 years ago

I've been researching something similar--attempting to figure out if any other system 3-7 backboxes/insert boards will work for a Williams Pharaoh. The parts manual seems to indicate one backglass design (which then says to specify which game it's for), and one backbox/insert board design as well.
Screenshot_20220117-063907.pngScreenshot_20220117-063907.png
Screenshot_20220117-064649.pngScreenshot_20220117-064649.png
I don't know if that's enough proof to say it will work for sure, but that's the way I'm approaching it so far. As you've noted, the displays seem to always be in the same spots, so it seems likely it should line up. Some alterations will have to be made regardless, but I think the core parts should be workable.

Have you come up with a backbox wiring harness for your game yet?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

It seems like the backglass layout of a bunch of the early solid state Williams games have a similar layout for the score display position. I am attempting to transplant a Cosmic Gunfight playfield and backglass into a Tri Zone cabinet. Does anyone know if a CG backglass will line up with Tri Zone backbox light insert, in regards to the location of the score displays?

Tri zone is 6 digit, 7 digit displays are needed for Cosmic Gunfight, could get a LED 7 digit replacement set and new ribbon cables that are needed between the displays and display driver as display led kit don't include them.
The insert door displays will need to be modified to align 7 digit displays and credit match display in the backglass windows, the display mounting hardware could be re used to re locate the displays.

Backglass to insert clearances, wire harness to cpu to display driver board and backbox should be the same.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

The insert door displays will need to be modified to align 7 digit displays and credit match display in the backglass windows, the display mounting hardware could be re used to re locate the displays.

If the display windows in the BG are in the same place, the upper 2 studs in each 6 digit display correspond to the upper 2 on the 7 digit displays. The one that's a PITA to locate is the credit display, but it can be done. All the people that did the 6-7 digit conversions on the system 6 games had to do it. I forget what trick I used for this.... likely something involving double stick tape or make velcro? Just to locate the display, not permanent mount.

found it on oliver's page:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7f.html

Midway down he calls out how to mount the credit display properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/compatibilty-of-early-ss-williams-backboxes- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.