Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mesmashu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Back when IMVE was released around 18 months ago I was looking at either IM or Met pro. At the time, I saw many aspects that appeared similar.

My decision came down to a few aspects: theme was the main factor as I love the movies, love the movie quotes and callouts in IM. Another factor was that I could not determine if I'd like Met pro or Premium.

At the time I picked IM, love the rules and the flow and love to play it probably as much as any pin I can think of.

But I never lost track of Metallica and reading all the positive reviews kept my eyes out for one which I got on New Year's Day.

So looking at the two I thought I'd give my impressions where they're similar and different. I'll give my opinion (advantage one or the other or tie).

-Both have up posts in the usual position, controlled on Met but not on IM (Met)
- Both have twin roll over in the same position ties to three rollover in the in lane (tie)
- Both have pops in the same position that feed center or right orbit (tie)
- IM has the addition of an inner loop to feed the pops from the center spinner with an additional up post. I'm a BIG fan of inner loops (IM)
- Both have two standard right left orbits but IM has spinners (IM)
-Both have two ramps that feed the opposite flippers, Met metal and etched, IM has plastic ramps that extend past the back wall and has up/down action both of which which I like. (Tie)
- Met ramps are steeper and harder to hit more satisfying, IM you can hit easily by accident (Met)
- both have area/toy on the outside of the left ramp
---- grave drop targets, magnet and cross
---- War Machine kickback
I like both but (Met)
- Both have toys to the inside of the right ramp.
---- captive ball / snake
----- Whiplash
I like both but (Met)
-Both have center area bash type figures Sparkey or Iron Monger plus tough center shot spinner (IM strong win).
- Left side Fuel target and Fuel lane or 4 stand ups for IM (MET)
- right side has mystery scoop or 3 stand up targets (Met)
-Both have 4 stand ups picks or drones, I prefer the Drones (IM)
Flippers, in lanes and out lanes (tie)
-Dots (Met)
-Music (Met)
-Sound effects and callout (IM)

-Rules this is very hard for me to judge overall Met is the clear winner because the rules are longer, more complex, more to do.

IM lacks a true skill shot, lacks some in the polish and lacks some of the overall greatness. It's rules are good, but IMO there are a few things that I think could be added without making it into Tspp type game. I'd be happy with Tron type rules. I mean the same basic IM rules it has but with a bit more depth like Tron. Overall though (Met)

-Layout about a tie but I'll give a slight advantage to Met because it has a bit more to do like Fuel (Met)
-Art subjective but overall Met wins (I like cabinet and backglass on IM) but PF on Met wins this whole category (Met)
-Fun to play (tie)
-Lighting (Met) due to the better GI.

Seems like Met wins more categories, but IM is close (even when it doesn't win) so that they're about tie in my book, I give the overall win to Met for better rules and PF artwork and maybe overall more content (BOM). IM is undone by its poor dot animations and its somewhat incomplete rules (no skill shot, less achievements etc).

#2 8 years ago

I'm not a fan of dissecting games to compare them, but it's hard to avoid with these 2 because they have such similar layouts. I've had IM and MET Pro side by side for over 2 years, and I'm happy that they play nothing alike. For me:

IM wins on theme, SFX, speech callouts.
MET wins on art, code, dots and humor.
IM and MET are tied on music and layout.
MET is a slightly better value (if price is the same).
Both are needed to get the full Borg experience.

#3 8 years ago

I agree with Swampfire. I usually don't dissect games to that detail. But it is interesting to see.

I've never really found them similar while playing them. In fact it is really interesting that theme and rules can make such a difference in a game. When I get on MET I'm always thinking about CIU. Right from the start I'm keeping a count of what else I need to light it.

When I fire up IM I'm trying to get modes almost ready to start and deciding my stack as I progress. I'm looking for the DoD hurryup leading into Jericho. Well, that's my plan anyway. My IM is setup nasty, and I'll do something stupid like try to carry double scoring into the DoD Hurryup (which means I'll drain).

#4 8 years ago

I like to see how a similar look/layout can lead to a different feel.

I first look at the top rollover switches and pops are almost identical including being tied to the inlanes. I like inner loops that Met is missing.

#5 8 years ago

IM has a skill shot. Disable your upper orbit post in settings and see how hard it is to hit. Disabling that post gives so much more flow to the game and makes the game even harder as completing the shields is tougher.

Don't have much time on MET, but really dislike the music so it's a non starter for me.

#6 8 years ago

I just disabled the upper post on IM, makes a big difference. I endorse that recommendation.

I avoided Met due to the music as well. Turns out it's not *that bad* and I'm changing out 4 songs to NIN which I prefer.

#7 8 years ago

My skill shot on IM is to take out a few dangerous shots before the ball save expires. Usually, that means IM and drone targets. The occasional 250k isn't worth the soft plunge.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

IM has a skill shot. Disable your upper orbit post in settings and see how hard it is to hit. Disabling that post gives so much more flow to the game and makes the game even harder as completing the shields is tougher.
Don't have much time on MET, but really dislike the music so it's a non starter for me.

Yeah same here. Not a fan of the band, Love my im though

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just disabled the upper post on IM, makes a big difference. I endorse that recommendation.
I avoided Met due to the music as well. Turns out it's not *that bad* and I'm changing out 4 songs to NIN which I prefer.

Good. You have a skill shot now and it is much more exciting when the balls launch from the shooter at the start of multi balls.

#10 8 years ago

What they aught to do is change it so the right rollover is the skill shot and left side gets you nothing. Increase the value of it so people don't avoid it with the soft drop shot to the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,600 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 25.50
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comparison-of-met-pro-and-im and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.