(Topic ID: 233127)

Company pinball Tournament success!

By Langless28

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9325 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9323 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9322 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9321 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

We are having an annual pinball tourney at my company. Last years format was random people on random machines using a spreadsheet but resulted in alot of down time. I think each person had to loose 3 games to be out.

About 20 people sign up and we have the following machines.
    GB
    Hobbit
    Mmr
    Stern kiss
    Mustang
    Game of thrones
    AC/DC

The skill level at work varies greatly.

Wondering if anyone can share tips or formats that might help it go more smoothly this year.

Would putting all machines in tournament mode help with the extra balls etc?

#2 5 years ago

Turn extra balls off. If it’s not more than 20ppl run a flip frenzy. Lots of fun. Minimal waiting . 14 ppl playing at all times . 6 waiting . Set a time limit for how long you want to play for . Most wins minus losses takes the win At the end. Create an account on mathplay.events
    It’s free : run a demo tournament so you know how the software works

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Turn extra balls off. If it’s not more than 20ppl run a flip frenzy. Lots of fun. Minimal waiting . 14 ppl playing at all times . 6 waiting . Set a time limit for how long you want to play for . Most wins minus losses takes the win At the end. Create an account on mathplay.events
    It’s free : run a demo tournament so you know how the software works

I like that idea!

#4 5 years ago

How about just a standard group matchplay format (7/5/3/1). You could either do highest number of points for the win, or run X number of rounds and use the number of points to seed a playoff. I've found that playoffs are a lot of fun even if you have to cut the initial seeding window down to accommodate time barriers.

People seem to like battling for playoff positions and if they make the playoffs, they have yet another thing to be excited about.

Matchplay.events is a great resource as FalconPunch mentioned above. If you go with a group format, everyone will be playing all the time. The only downtime will be between rounds.

#5 5 years ago

So I signed up for matchplay and started a test tournament for flipper frenzy, added 5 "players" and started the tournament. All that happened was a queue timer for 2 minutes and I couldn't figure out anything else like how players are assigned to each other etc. Tried to find a tutorial online with no luck.

Edit. Turns out I had to add games or "arenas"

3 weeks later
    #6 5 years ago

So tournaments were a success. Ended up doing flipper frenzy for the group of 9 "pros" with 3 games going and 1 in queue. Averaged 9 games per player in 2 hours.

Then I did group match play for 25 people in "beginners" tournament with 4 machines going. Ended up doing 4 matches in 2 hours.

Seemed like everyone had fun. I thought I could manage the tournaments on match play and actually play but before 1st game was over I had so many questions and things I had to forfeit and just manage the tournaments.

Big thanks to DRDAVE for getting our game looking and playing pristine.

IMG_9321 (resized).JPGIMG_9321 (resized).JPGIMG_9322 (resized).JPGIMG_9322 (resized).JPGIMG_9323 (resized).JPGIMG_9323 (resized).JPGIMG_9325 (resized).JPGIMG_9325 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/company-pinball-tournament-format-requested and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.