(Topic ID: 218233)

Comox Valley students bring an old Bingo pinball back to life...

By bleargh

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SirScott
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bleargh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

A few years back, I came into a handful of Bingo pinball machines as part of a bulk buy. Although I was only looking for a pair of matching machines, the price was too good to pass up, and so I bought seven machines. Well, six-and-a-half; got six full machines, plus an extra "parts" body.

However, as many good plans go, time went by and those machines just collected dust in my basement.

Last December, though, during a parent/teacher interview, my son's teachers asked what I like to do for fun in my spare time. When they learned that I liked to restore old beat up pinball machines, they were not only surprised to hear it but also thought it would make a really cool class "reverse engineering project". Before I could say anything, my wife "volunteered" a pair of machines for the class.

We delivered two-and-a-half "Bally Big Time" machines to the class in January, and the students (Grade 6/7) have spent the last few months stripping the machines down, cleaning them up, and trying to get one machine up and running again.

Today, was our big "reveal" to their parents, teachers, and the local media.

https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/pinball-machine-comes-back-to-life-thanks-to-nides-students/

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1407769

I'd go in and help out every other week for an hour, mostly just pointing them in the right direction, and pointing out things to be careful of or to watch out for. As things progressed that became once a week, then twice a week, and then this last week I've had two full days out in their classroom helping get the last quirks sorted out.

Along with all of the hard work put in by the students, we were also thrilled to receive the help of Kevin Hull at "Hidden Treasures Restoration" up here in Royston, BC. While pinball isn't his thing (although they do a bunch of other restoration, not just automotive), he was generous enough to help us out with getting the playfields clearcoated so they'll be sure to stand the test of time a while longer.

By the time the students were all said and done, the machine was *fully* functional again, and everyone was excited to turn it on today and play a few rounds of Bingo.

Still lots going through my head from the excitement of the day, and all the little anecdotes and things that happened along the way, but I just had to stop in and share.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Sharing the joy of repair with children is something that I think will help them throughout their lives, not just with pinball.

Agreed!

My most memorable moments from this whole process were those times that the students asked the good questions or had "lightbulb moments". Seeing their brains work through the process and figure out how it all worked was a real treat. Best of all, it was generally those lightbulb moments that helped us figure out what was wrong with one piece or another that was giving us trouble.

As the project progressed, it also became clear to the students that all of the "reverse engineering" and "problem solving" that they were doing was applicable to sooooo much more than just working on this one rebuild. That on it's own made the whole thing worthwhile.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Now the question is, who's going to bring that sweet game home?

I left that open for the class to decide.

I started off with six Bingo machines, and would love to have one functional/working machine for myself. Whether that ends up being that Big Time machine or whether it's one of the others, doesn't really matter to me. I've suggested to the class that for next year they can either finish off the second Big Time or whether I bring them a pair of Bally Broadway machines to work on (and they can start from scratch all over again).

I also told them that if we get more than one working, we can discuss other options like a class fundraiser, or leaving one with the guys at Hidden Treasures Restoration (who donated time/materials for clearcoating the playfields) (and who has a nice sized show-room out front).

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Aired on Edmonton CTVED. During the 6PM news today.

Really? Aw, that's SWEET! Thanks for letting us know!

1 week later
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

is there a link for viewing?

Original post at the top contains a link to the video that aired on CTV Vancouver Island, as well as the short vid posted by our local newspaper.

That said, though, if someone has a link to the video that aired in Edmonton, I'd be interested in seeing that one too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bleargh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comox-valley-students-bring-an-old-bingo-pinball-back-to-life?tu=bleargh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.