Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by VT8man
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png
    #1 12 years ago

Seems to be an awful lot of threads started by newbie pinball collectors asking how to fix a problem, many of the problems not so trivial....Alot of the more experienced regulars then respond with several things to check/try, but often there is never any follow-up by the OP. I'm not looking for a pat on the back, as I'm more than happy to help share my experiences and knowledge, but show a little courtesy and share your resolution to your problem. Yes, we helped, or no, we didn't, but either way, it helps terminate the thread and leaves a resolution for the next person that comes along with a similar problem and uses the search function.

Just sayin.....

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

leaves a resolution for the next person that comes along with a similar problem and uses the search function

That's a good point and stops a lot of repeat questions. I agree with what your saying.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

show a little courtesy and share your resolution to your problem.

Totally agree. I've done my best to follow up with all my posts, pretty sure I have.

*Edit*
    Guilty, Guilty! I was just going through my old posts and I have a couple to finish up with myself. Will do.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

I've done my best to follow up with all my posts

It's normal for some people to do that and not leave a response
    to their problems but its always good to post back for future references.

#5 12 years ago

Yes, this is very annoying.

#6 12 years ago

And it not only relates to pinball. Being in the software industry, it's extremely annoying, and I think this comic sums up my feelings well:

wisdom_of_the_ancients.pngwisdom_of_the_ancients.png

#7 12 years ago

smokedog....SO right!! I can't tell you how many times I've googled for a MS issue to find threads with no followup resolutions.

#8 12 years ago

I never resolved my display problem. oops! sorry.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

but show a little courtesy and share your resolution to your problem. Yes, we helped, or no, we didn't, but either way, it helps terminate the thread and leaves a resolution for the next person that comes along with a similar problem and uses the search function.

Couldn't agree with you more. It is very helpful to the other members of Pinside if you at least post an update on how you did or didn't resolve the issue.

#10 12 years ago

I've seen it over the years
    a guy will join because his pin doesn't work or something happened to it?
    Very upset in near panic mode and over the next few days/weeks will demand answers
    and then 'poof' you never see /hear from him again.
    I guess it's human nature not everyone gives or gives back - some cats only take & then split?

#11 12 years ago

I could not agree more. Sometimes I follow the threads that I can contribute to and like to hear what the resolution is. If my suggestions help, great. If not, what was the fix?

#12 12 years ago

Agree 100% Robert.

Every TECH thread deserves an epilogue by the OP.

Common courtesy to those who contributed as well as for the benefit of others in the future.

#13 12 years ago

I joined up here in June 2011, ran into my first problem with my first purchased pin.

Received some good feedback and tips, which eventually led to me having to hire an experienced pin-tech to resolve the issue. At that time there were things I could and did check, but with having a board issue, and then going with purchasing a brand new alltek all-in-one board, then having the rectifier board go out, and it being repaired by the tech, my pin has been up and fully running since the repair was completed in late july 11'.

All of which I posted about in the thread which I created at the time.

I agree with you 100% robertmee, if people are generous enough to share their wisdom with the newbies, the newbies owe it to the pro's here to follow up with a final synopsis on the resolution to the problem(s). Like you said, it's common courtesy. I know for some people these days that's a quality that's lacking in them. It's all about gimme gimme gimme, and no give back.

#14 12 years ago

It would also be really cool that when the answer to the problem was correctly given/solved in the thread it could have a different color (highlighted) to make it easier to find!!!

Just my two tokens though!

#15 12 years ago

Its possible that many threads do not have closure due to the fact that the problem was never resolved by the op. Sometimes the help posted by others can be a little overwhelming to people new to repairing and they just kinda give up the thread when they realize they cannot fix it themselves. Unfortunately I speak from experience here. I do agree that tech-help threads deserve some kind of completion, even if its just to say something like...thanks everyone, Im in a little over my head and am going to get someone to look at it with me. I will post what the solution turns out to be.

#16 12 years ago

I'm guilty of this. Sorry.

#17 12 years ago

Maybe we could use a permanent Pinside etiquette post at the top of the Forum for Newbies. Probably would have helped me. Probably still could.

#18 12 years ago

Perfect Robert!!! I find it exasperating to follow all the back-and-forths of an attempt at resolving a problem, (for I am trying to 'learn' from reading), and then finding it just stops dead in its tracks! I've wasted a lot of time . . .
    Mike

#19 12 years ago

I'll follow mine up, I am also guilty of this.

#20 12 years ago

Agreed,Please follow up with the resolution etc.etc.

Quoted from Pintucky:

I find it exasperating to follow all the back-and-forths of an attempt at resolving a problem, (for I am trying to 'learn' from reading), and then finding it just stops dead in its tracks! I've wasted a lot of time . . .

Isn't that the truth,makes you wanna start drinking (more)

#21 12 years ago

+1 from me as well.

This board was huge in helping fix my first machine, an EM game. The thread count was huge, but we kept posting what did and did not work; along with final resolution. The follow-up and support i got from the board was great. At the very least, it can help someone in the future.....

I typically don't post on boards anywhere... But I like the community so much on Pinside, that I have stayed with and keep posting.

For what its worth.......

#22 12 years ago

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry I'm short on time. Has anyone suggested a function like this to Robin? A color-coding, or tag for an initial forum post that is a problem someone has with a machine? Like red text for the post while a problem is unresolved, and the ability to turn it green once it's fixed?

Then when people browse the history, they would know where a problem was brought to resolution by the color of the text on the title link, or some icon that could be displayed?

Just a thought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/common-courtesy-a-pet-peeve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.