Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by aahgo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone

I am trying to restock my spare parts. As I work on machines from various manufacturers, it would be handy to have spare coils on hand to deal with most coil replacement situations. I cannot find a list of common coils used by each manufacturer. Both Clay's guides and Pinwiki have informative sections describing useful parts to have on hand, but for some reason, they don't mention anything about coils! So, I would like to create a list here. I don't intend this to be an exhaustive list (I want to keep it to 5 coils per section or less). However, I want it to cover the most common coil replacements you'll ever have to do. If anyone can contribute a suggested coil, that would be appreciated!

Gottlieb EM
    Coin lockout and replacement continuous duty relay A-16890
    ?
    ?

Classic Bally/Stern
    ?
    ?
    ?

Gottlieb System 1-80B
    ?
    ?
    ?

Gottlieb System 3
    Flipper coil A-25959
    Upkicker, slingshot, pop bumper coil A-17876
    Slingshot coil A-5195
    Ball release, outhole coil A-26451

Williams System 3-11
    ?
    ?
    ?

WPC
    Flipper coil FL-11629
    Flipper coil FL-11630
    Knocker, pop bumper coil 23-800
    Pop bumper, general use coil 26-1200

Data East/Sega/Stern
    ?
    ?
    ?

#2 5 years ago

Coils rarely go bad. It seems to me a list of common replacement coil sleeves would be a little more useful.

#3 5 years ago

I have a junk Bally playfield and it would have been great not to spend 60 bucks on new Williams coils if any of them would work. Facing it again with steel sleeves that won't come out, sure would like to use those old Ballys. Same thing with Gottlieb, don't plan to purchase any more and would love to use up some new coils in Williams projects.
    Common coils that work across Manufacturers would be great.

#4 5 years ago

This table is a great help for comparing coils: https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

This table is a great help for comparing coils: https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

That's a great reference that I have used before.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Coils rarely go bad. It seems to me a list of common replacement coil sleeves would be a little more useful.

Agreed! I already have plenty of sleeves in stock and the sleeve chart on PBR is basically the only reference list you need. So now I want to stock up on coils.

Quoted from Tuukka:

Yep, this is a great resource. However it is not helpful in trying to decide which are the most common.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

Yep, this is a great resource. However it is not helpful in trying to decide which are the most common.

So which would you want to satisfy the term "most common", the coil that appears more in the games, or the ones that get replaced more often?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

So which would you want to satisfy the term "most common", the coil that appears more in the games, or the ones that get replaced more often?

The ones that get replaced more often. I originally thought of going through every manual and tallying up which coils were the most frequently used, but that doesn't necessarily tell me what I'll be replacing most frequently. Hence why I thought I would ask Pinside for input

#9 5 years ago

I have close to 500 coils in my inventory yet every time I turn around I for a coil I need I don't have in stock. I think at least part of my problem is I work on stuff from as early as the 1930's all the way up to DMD machines so the range of coils used is totally insane. Then a second problem I have is dozens of certain numbers I rarely use and one or two of some of the more common coil numbers. Other than Gottlieb A-9738 I don't know of any other single number coil I would keep on hand if I didn't "harvest" these coils from junk machines and warehouse buyouts.

In the 10+ years we have been in the hobby I can count on one hand how many new coils I have had to buy but it has been more luck than having a great inventory.

#10 5 years ago

I've only been in the hobby for around 7 years, but have had around 19 machines, of those I rebuilt about a dozen or solid state pins that started as neglected projects. The only coil I have had to replace was a burned out knocker in an early Bally - AR-26-1200. As far as EMs go, I bought replacements for all the coils in my shuffle bowler. Never had to use them, probably never will.

#11 5 years ago

I agree. I would say if you want to stock the most common coils for pin repair calls, you should ONLY stock spares for the two most common flipper coils from Ea. manufacturer. They fail most often.

Also, you will NEVER need to replace a "coin lockout" coil unless it's a routed game taking quarters. Not much sense in stocking those.

#12 5 years ago

On the occasion that I have to replace a coil, it's usually a flipper coil or a VUK mech coil. Surprisingly, I don't actually have to replace pop bumper coils all that often.

However, I would have to say that I find myself replacing WPC flipper coils on early 90s games more often than anything else. So, if you work on those types of games a lot, it might be worthwhile just to have a flipper coil or two around for games from that era.

I have a handful of various coils on hand just from scavenging and acquiring parts lots, but I don't generally buy a coil just to have on hand unless it's one I actually need to replace.

Quoted from wayout440:

I have a full compliment of sleeves on hand organized in a stack of small bins. When I get low on certain ones, I just stock up in the next order I place. I use them on every game I work on.

#13 5 years ago

A lot of pinside people will warn that you don't need to stock coils because they buy shopped out games that are all pretty and ready to go. Those of us that buy projects know how handy it is to have them around. My friend picked up a Gorgar from an operator and we put 6 or 7 coils in that one. I had them all here.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

A lot of pinside people will warn that you don't need to stock coils because they buy shopped out games that are all pretty and ready to go. Those of us that buy projects know how handy it is to have them around. My friend picked up a Gorgar from an operator and we put 6 or 7 coils in that one. I had them all here.

I work on a lot of project games, and I still don't need to replace coils too often. Maybe around 1 out of 3 games. Yes, sometimes you get unlucky like with your Gorgar, but that's usually an exception rather than the norm.

Plus, PBR can usually get an order to me in 2-3 days. It's not worthwhile to me to stock a large pile of coils since the cost does add up.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

That's not typical. I've gone though over 100 "project games".

#16 5 years ago

I recently rebuilt a 1977 Bally. Installed a PBR complete flipper kit. Set eos switches at 1/8. Also installed flipper button switches in the cabinet and while flippers were good, just didn’t have the kick I was hoping for. Decided to replace the coils, which were working but appeared old, and the flippers had the kick I was hoping for. Not off the charts different, but better. Has anybody experienced this?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

I recently rebuilt a 1977 Bally. Installed a PBR complete flipper kit. Set eos switches at 1/8. Also installed flipper button switches in the cabinet and while flippers were good, just didn’t have the kick I was hoping for. Decided to replace the coils, which were working but appeared old, and the flippers had the kick I was hoping for. Not off the charts different, but better. Has anybody experienced this?

No

LOL sorry couldn't resist!

#18 5 years ago

Send Steve at PBR a copy of your post in an e-mail, assuming you are willing to actually buy based on his recommendations. He will definitely know what Gottlieb coils go bad and I'm sure he sells his fair share of all the other brands also. I'll bet he will have an educated guess at least as good as anyone here.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

LOL sorry couldn't resist!

No problem.

1 year later
    #20 3 years ago

looking for coils for a bally citation or at the least a cross reference guide. the one on flippers.com is incomplete. It only list one of the coils.

#21 3 years ago

I work on a lot of EM projects and by far the most frequent coils that need replacing are bell, chime, & knocker coils, followed by score reel coils, and occasionally relay coils. Typically this is caused by a stuck 1 or 10 point switch, locking on the coils until they melt. Proper fusing should prevent this... but you know... people.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/common-coils-for-each-manufacturer?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.