5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

TL;DR: I got a brand new Rottendog DIS200 display board and both upper displays have all the commas lit, all the time. Waiting to hear back from Rottendog, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue or has suggestions. See photo below and history/details below that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

History:
-- I recently acquired a Big Guns. Of the old displays, the upper left & lower left were completely out, and the upper right & lower right were functioning but not 100%. (Commas were not lit on upper display.)
-- I got my hands on another old display board for troubleshooting. This board had both upper displays and a lower right display (missing lower left). When I hooked it up, both upper displays came on (no commas) and the lower right one did not. This seemed to imply that at least the game was trying to send the signals to the displays.
-- I tested the output of the high voltage board, it was reading around 108V. I understand it's supposed to be around 100V, and it WAS powering the displays, but just to knock out two birds with one stone, I decided to purchase a new Rottendog DIS200 display.
-- It was explained to me by a friend that the new DIS200 display board doesn't use the high voltage supply, so I pulled the fuses from the HV circuit before installing the new board, to prevent any possible damage.
-- Hooked up the new board, and all four displays came on and they function perfectly -- except, on the upper two displays, all the [lower half of the] commas are lit up.
-- I found another thread about Cyclone that mentioned replacing ribbon cables to address this. Just to be sure, and to eliminate possible causes, I replaced the 26-pin ribbon cable going to the display board. I also replaced the other 20-pin ribbon cable for good measure (not sure if that is part of the display system). No change, commas are still lit.
-- I sent an email to Rottendog on Sunday night. I haven't heard back yet (I'm sure they're busy) so in the meantime I thought I'd start a thread here to see if there was anyone else who'd had this experience and/or had any suggestions.

NOTE: I will not attempt any modification / surgery on the display board itself until I formally work through it with Rottendog, since it's brand new and I don't want to void any possible warranty/exchange possibility.

#2 5 years ago

Your troubleshooting history suggest strongly that you have a defective display, so I'd work on getting an exchange since it is brand new. Good detail on your problem in your post, btw.

#3 5 years ago

I had a similiar problem with a Millionaire display. It turned out the board slightly warped when I mounted it up and that slight twist messed with the display. See if the problem goes away if the board is not mounted but your just holding it.

Mike V

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I had a similiar problem with a Millionaire display. It turned out the board slightly warped when I mounted it up and that slight twist messed with the display. See if the problem goes away if the board is not mounted but your just holding it.
Mike V

The first time I hooked it up, it was loose outside the machine. (Didn't want to install only to have to remove if it didn't work for some reason.)

Quoted from wayout440:

Your troubleshooting history suggest strongly that you have a defective display, so I'd work on getting an exchange since it is brand new. Good detail on your problem in your post, btw.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to see what Rottendog says. Still no reply to my email, so perhaps I'll call during business hours tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
Machine - For Sale
Poland, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/commas-on-upper-displays-of-new-rottendog-dis200- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.