Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by buffaloatx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hey all,

I'm going to be in Austin this weekend visiting family with wife and son in tow. Last time I visited Austin was about 6 months before Pinballz opened on Research Blvd so I'm looking forward to my first time in their place. Don't know yet if I'll be there on Sat or Sun, but if you're local and want to say hi it would be cool to meet up there. I'll update this thread with a time once we nail down our plans (will probably post Friday morning).

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin 2K H+V sync combiner

#2 8 years ago

have fun.

i might be around. have some fam in town, so may need to navigate that. haven't seen ya since TxPinFest

cheers

#3 8 years ago

Yup - I still have your card!

Understand rain is in the forecast for Saturday so that's the more likely day. My son is under 18 so we we would be targeting afternoon; not evening.

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin 2K H+V sync combiner

#4 8 years ago

There is pinball castle on 35 around buda as well. Never been there but sold them a wozecle a few weeks ago. Suppose to have 20-30 pinz.

Chris Kruger

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from joemamma:

There is pinball castle on 35 around buda as well. Never been there but sold them a wozecle a few weeks ago. Suppose to have 20-30 pinz.
    Chris Kruger

Unless they tightened up their ship in the last month, I wouldn't recommend Pinball Kingdom. IMHO it's a pale immitation of the original Pinballz location. Only 35-ish pinballs compared to 100+ at the original location, the pins were in much worse condition than the original pinballz (5-ish pins of those 35-ish were turned off, about half of the rest were dirty and not functioning well), and I lost about 5 bucks in the coin mechs (they refunded me). I talked to the manager there and he was pretty frustrated as well. He started at the original location and got moved to Kingdom. He said they aren't allowed to do any repairs on the machines themselves (even though he was trained to do so at the original Pinballz) and that the repair guy only comes once a week for an hour or two. I have to drive from San Antonio if I wanna go and I'll gladly take the extra 20-30 minutes to drive past this place and on to the original Pinballz location.

#6 8 years ago

Please please bring a box of your boards and install them on the machines at Pinballz. MB needs one for sure, I'm certain others.

#7 8 years ago

Hey Rob, if you are in town this weekend you should come to Buffalo Billiards (201 E 6th St)
    We have 12 pins, including the new KISS. If your available to come in either Saturday or Sunday (Sunday is our league day as well)
    I would like to chat with you. I'm the guy with the Addams family that seems to be eating your reset boards for lunch, maybe you can help me figure out why that machine is destroying your boards (the one on STTNG is still working flawlessly.)
    Feel free to DM me here.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Unless they tightened up their ship in the last month, I wouldn't recommend Pinball Kingdom.

+1000000%

Stopped off there when traveling through Buda and it was a complete and utter waste of time unless you were looking to play redemption games. Most of the games there, at the time I went, were in rough shape or non-functional. And I don't mean, small things not working correctly. One example would be the garage door on TSPP that wasn't working at all. I told the staff about it and an hour later it was still on and collecting peoples money. Sorry Darin (if you are reading this), but after that I turned it off myself and told the staff I did so and why.

Pinballz is still a good trip but be advised that the condition of their games has struggled as well. I truly understand it is hard to keep this many machines up and running but it's much worse now than it was before they opened Pinball Kingdom.

Check out Buffalo Billiards if you are near downtown. It has a nice collection and the games are in much better shape.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I told the staff about it and an hour later it was still on and collecting peoples money. Sorry Darin (if you are reading this),

I witnessed this there too with broken flippers. I was quite disappointed in that, even though my family had a good time.

#10 8 years ago

I agree. I was in Austin a month ago and went to Pinballz, Pinball Kingdom, and Buffalo Billiards. Pinballz was straight up awesome with so many pins under one roof. Some pins were not working well but overall very impressive. Pinball Kingdom had a bunch of pins that didn't work but did have a nice Funhouse. It was a bit of a drive from Pinballz to Pinball Kingdom and not worth the trip. Buffalo Billiards was a really cool place and centrally located. Not a ton of pins but the ones they had were great pins. I did not have much time so only played a handful of games.

#11 8 years ago

Pinballz has been having trouble finding techs for their South location/Pinballz Kingdom. From what I understand, most of the techs are part time employees that have jobs at other tech companies in the area, and most of those are in North Austin. An hour each way on I35 for a three-four hour shift is no picnic.

95% of the machines at Pinballz North are in good shape, they've been better at turning off machines with issues recently and will generally refund tokens if you ask. If you drop $10 worth of tokens in different machines you'll probably run into some kind of problem though. If you get there before Noon they're still doing a $15 for $10 token deal, ask about it.

Buffalo is a great spot, although Friday/Saturday nights can be tough to get around. Even more so since Uber took off and everything from 1st to 9th street is a mess of hazard lights and high heels on weekend nights. Better that people aren't driving themselves, I guess. Afternoon and early evening is great, and their staff are awesome. I recommend the chicken tenders and Live Oak Hefeweizen.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from buffaloatx:

(Sunday is our league day as well)

Buffalo is now on my list - what times is the league there?

Quoted from Law:

If you get there before Noon they're still doing a $15 for $10 token deal, ask about it.

Nothing speaks to me like a bargain... I'll be at Pinballz before noon to take advantage of the token deal.

Thanks for all the tips - you guys in Austin are very welcoming!

-Rob

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I recommend the chicken tenders and Live Oak Hefeweizen.

The Tenders are awesome, but we don't carry Live Oak. It's Blur, from Circle brewing.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from buffaloatx:

The Tenders are awesome, but we don't carry Live Oak. It's Blur, from Circle brewing.

Ah, but if you do one part Devil's Backbone to four parts Blur, it's pretty much LOH, right?

I stand corrected. Circle is great as well.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from buffaloatx:

I'm hoping for a beer list refresh sometime. The hop overboard is fine, but it's unfortunate that's the only one I'll drink.

For food, it's all about the italian beef sandwich - just get a lot of napkins to go along with it!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

For food, it's all about the italian beef sandwich - just get a lot of napkins to go along with it!

Yeah, it's not the best sandwich for playing pinball...
    Currently the beer selection is being reviewed, we are getting an entire new draft system soon, it will add one additional tap, and as always I monitor what is selling and what isn't. If something stops selling I'll replace it.

#17 8 years ago

Pinballz was great! Looking forward to Buffalo Billiards this afternoon... should be there by 5:00.

-Rob

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Pinballz was great! Looking forward to Buffalo Billiards this afternoon... should be there by 5:00.
    -Rob

hola,

sorry i couldn't make it. had full-time family in-town going on. hanging out at pinballz would have been more fun

#19 8 years ago

Had a great trip - got bumped onto the direct flight on the way down, had a good lunch and swam in the creek in Wimberley, sailed on lake Travis, played $20 worth at pinballz (ate at the pub down the street), watched Tiger's double bogey while swimming, met some of the league players at Buffalo Billiards, and had a very nice dinner at Moonshines. You guys in Austin are living the good life!

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin2K H+V sync adapter

#20 8 years ago

It was great to meet you and your brother, hope you can find time to comeback and visit often.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-to-austin-tx-this-weekend-will-be-at-pinballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.