(Topic ID: 302552)

Now flipping in Wellington, New Zealand...

By PinballShoppe

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball art on the wall (resized).png
    Neon
    pasted_image34 (resized).png
    pasted_image43 (resized).png
    Glowing red P (resized).png
    20220610_205753 (resized).jpg
    20220610_205545 (resized).jpg
    20220610_205504 (resized).jpg
    Busy arcade with lights and mirror (resized).png
    Wall mirror being installed (resized).png
    View from the rear (resized).png
    View from the front (resized).png
    Arcade with track lights (resized).png
    More screens (resized).png
    Leia blur (resized).png
    Pins with screens (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballShoppe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Open to the public Wednesday to Sunday from 12pm, at 16 Bond St, central Wellington.

#8 2 years ago

Its been a long time coming! I'll have about 20 pins, mostly current gen, with P3s and others for sale. A few classics will bring balance to the tournaments, but the newest and shiniest will be up front to grab the public's attention. This is about exposing as many people as possible to modern pinball, and maybe tempting a few to buy an expensive toy for the family.

Here's a photo of the current space, and a quick sketch I did in ModusVR. Once I'm up and running my side-gig will be designing game rooms and home theatres, using VR as a tool.

1500031952 (resized).jpg1500031952 (resized).jpgBond St.space_photo.20211004.205534 (resized).pngBond St.space_photo.20211004.205534 (resized).png
    #9 2 years ago

Lets throw more AV at it!

Bond St.space_photo.20211030.140142 (resized).pngBond St.space_photo.20211030.140142 (resized).pngPinball Shoppe AV Network - 20211030.pdfPinball Shoppe AV Network - 20211030.pdf
    1 month later
    #10 2 years ago

Covering the windows prior to fitout. It's starting to feel real.

20211204_163756 (resized).jpg20211204_163756 (resized).jpg263600617_2641576625986854_3725692106261804772_n (resized).jpg263600617_2641576625986854_3725692106261804772_n (resized).jpg
    #14 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Looking forward to running many comps here.
    rd

I'm looking forward to losing many games to you here

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

looks very hi end. Good for you and Wellington. On a trip there a couple of years back I found a Dead Pool pro in the wild. First time I played the game. Best wishes on your endeavors!

Thanks! I figured if I'm going to have a change in career, I may as well surround myself with lots of toys.

1 week later
    #21 2 years ago

Getting chalk on walls to check fit, before confirming the order of over $30k of TVs. Oh boy. This might end up looking quite Bladerunner.

20211218_153510 (resized).jpg20211218_153510 (resized).jpg
    #22 2 years ago

50" displays hung off horizontal scaff bar with playfield cam view. 43" displays between every other game with two Twitch chat windows - one for each game. Camera and mic suspended in front of lower displays for eyeline when replying to chat.

00.space_photo.20211212.212436 (resized).png00.space_photo.20211212.212436 (resized).png
    #23 2 years ago
    Quoted from flukey:

Wow, so cool! I'm up in Wellington next week but that's probably a bit soon!

Bit too soon, sorry. I'm quietly hoping to open the last weekend of Jan, but who knows.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I want to emigrate to NZ pretty seriously. Wellington and Kaikoura are the top of my list. Someone find use for an American attorney and part time comic book writer.

Kaikoura is beautiful. Like Wellington, very much dominated by the landscape. I wish you luck in finding a way to immigrate here!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from mfresh:

Looks great. I used to live in Wellington - in Kilbirnie. Wish I still did with this arcade opening... Good luck with the venture.
    Not sure about the name though!

Thanks for the good wishes! The name refers to the fact that every small Olde English village had a pinball shoppe. Have I not been misinformed?

#32 2 years ago

The first of many.

P3 In shop (resized).pngP3 In shop (resized).png

This will help me line up lighting and camera angles.

#34 2 years ago

107 sqm. Not sure what that is in feets.

#37 2 years ago

That'll be nice and crowded! I have about 600mm between each game, so they're well spaced out, with couches and tables at the end. If we needed more games for a big tournament we could maybe cram in 40 machines. It'll be a squeeze getting in and out tho.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Your lineup will be plenty enough for a very large tournament!
    I have 100 people on 11-12 pins for World System 11 Champs.
    Can’t wait to get down there and crank up a comp!
    rd

I heard it was more about the width of the body rather than the length of the lineup. Either's good by me, and if you have both, well, hours of fun for the whole family!

#40 2 years ago

Building a new arcade requires dedicating a whole bunch of time. To that end, today was my last (half) day of full time employment at my AV Integration company! Semi-retirement means I can focus on what's going to bring the most joy to the most people - all for the greater good. Happy Solstice everyone

#41 2 years ago

Newly minted and about to ship from China.

Token Photo (resized).jpgToken Photo (resized).jpg
    #42 2 years ago

GIB plasterboard is like hens' teeth in New Zealand till mid-February, but thankfully Mitre 10 in Petone had 13 sheets of awkwardly-long 4.8m Noiseline and Ultraline GIB that nobody else wanted. $2 per sheet + delivery, and some sore muscles later, we have enough GIB to complete the noise control part of the fitout! This means we can keep to the planned minimum-viable-product opening at the end of January. As steelwork and AV arrives the TVs can be added over time, or if we're lucky it'll be ready for the party.

13 Sheets of GIB (resized).png13 Sheets of GIB (resized).png
    #43 2 years ago

GIB mostly up, with Greenglue sound-absorbing compound. We'll get the rest up and plastered tomorrow, then painted.

Then we wait for everyone to get back from holiday so we can order the steelwork and electrical. Then its a race to the opening on the 28th to make "minimum-viable-product" as cool as possible. I've no idea if the lighting tracks (or lights!) will show up in time, but the invitations have gone out so I'm committed to the 28th!

GIB mostly done (resized).pngGIB mostly done (resized).pngGreenglue on GIB (resized).pngGreenglue on GIB (resized).png
    #45 2 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Looking awesome Hamish
    Will be a brilliant hang out for sure.
    Great to see the build progress.
    Well done man.
    All the best
    Ando

Thanks Ando! I look forward to hosting some Pincade events, so hopefully we'll see you there one day! I missed last year's Brisbane Masters, but I'll be back on your side of the ditch when I can.

#46 2 years ago

In case anyone is in Wellington at the end of the month.....

Freeplay Opening Day Invite (resized).pngFreeplay Opening Day Invite (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #47 2 years ago

Making good progress. Wall is carpeted, to save the hassle of painting and provide more sound absorption. Cable tray droppers are in, and by the end of the weekend I should have the trays up and power run to the other side of the room. #minimumviableproduct
    Cable tray droppers (resized).pngCable tray droppers (resized).pngCarpeted wall (resized).pngCarpeted wall (resized).png

#48 2 years ago

We have cable trays, power, ventilation booked in for Friday, signwriting tomorrow, and very soon a tonne of pins! Supply chain dramas mean the TVs, cameras, DMX lighting and streaming will be added over the next few weeks, but now it's the mad 48 hour rush to the opening party finish line

20220126_211904 (resized).jpg20220126_211904 (resized).jpg
    #50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Good luck with everything, with a name like that I think you need to hire a town crier for the opening if you can get one.

That's a fantastic idea! Christchurch, until recently, had an official wizard. Wellington could certainly one-up that with a town crier.

Thanks for the kind words

#51 2 years ago

I did a business!

The opening was crazy-fantastic and I'm still buzzing! That energy will carry me through the further building we'll be doing this week, then open again on Friday 4th at 10am. There'll be weeks of staggered upgrades, with bursts of weekend blinkenlights in between. This will be a fun ride!

20220128_184632 (resized).jpg20220128_184632 (resized).jpg20220128_203442 (resized).jpg20220128_203442 (resized).jpg20220129_005203 (resized).jpg20220129_005203 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #52 2 years ago

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were our first days open for coin drop play. Satisfyingly busy for a non-freeplay weekend, and lots of familiar faces who will soon become regulars.

Build-wise we got more soundproofing in and half of the lighting tracks. Hoping to finish both of those this week before the fun begins again on Friday morning!

Busy Shoppe (resized).pngBusy Shoppe (resized).pngShoppe exterior (resized).pngShoppe exterior (resized).png
    #54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

Good luck with your venture. Looks like a really fun place.

Thank you! Yep, it's cool now, and much more coolness to come

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Looks awesome! Congratulations!! Do you have a list of your games?

Yep! A list is on our website (PinballShoppe.co.nz). The current lineup is...

Lexy Lightspeed, Heist, Cosmic Cart Racing, Cannon Lagoon and more on the P3
    Godzilla by Stern
    Medieval Madness Remake
    Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle
    Rick & Morty
    Total Nuclear Annihilation
    AC/DC
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Fish Tales
    Theatre of Magic
    Bride of Pinbot
    Twilight Zone
    Fire!
    Bad Cats
    Joker Poker

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrWol64:

What a great lineup,.. now they’re letting us back home,.. I see a visit real soon after my 10 days iso,.. Great to see a BoP in a lineup,.. will help while I wait for mine to make it across the Tasman,.. MM means my wife is a sure visit,.. well done on your new venture !!

Yay to coming home! Iso will be boring, but at least the longer you wait the better the arcade will look!

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

Damn that’s looks so cool! Cozy and fun all at the same time. I hope your business is doing well!

Thank you! We're off to a good start so far

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

Great line up and especially Godzilla, Bride of Pinbot and P3!

Yea, I'm lucky to have simonzzz involved. Most of the beautiful restored classics are his.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Depends what region. We can sort you out.
    This is what’s happening at my place.
    rd[quoted image]

That looks incredible Dave! Have you clear coated the cabinet as well? Daammmm.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrWol64:

I’ll be slap bang in the middle on the Southern end of Lake Taupo,.. so looks like I’m gonna need a good pin transporting set up,.. nice looking Taxi,.. another Pinbot connection

Contact Mark at https://nzpinball.com/ He's up and down the country all the time in his big Pinball Van.

Mark's Pinball Van (resized).pngMark's Pinball Van (resized).png
    #69 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

New decals on top of a fully rebuilt and resprayed cabinet. Original playfield restored and cleared. All done in house. (Except the yellow paint job, that’s done in a booth)
    Whirlwind next up.
    Nice to get back to the SYS11s, did 5-6 classic Ballys and Sterns in a row. Oh, did the Cirqus Voltaire last year - you might have seen that.
    rd[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Outstanding!

1 week later
    #73 2 years ago

An entirely reasonable number of screens have been mounted. (Positions still to be tweaked a bit)

20220221_190907 (resized).jpg20220221_190907 (resized).jpg
    #74 2 years ago

Screens wired up, some CAT run. and two cameras mounted. Ready to open again tomorrow morning at 11.

20220224_190726 (resized).jpg20220224_190726 (resized).jpg
    #76 2 years ago
    Quoted from wireable:

That's awesome! Where are the cameras mounted?
    This whole thread/venture is amazing - congratulations! I might have to consider a trip across the Tasman just to visit .

The cameras are on the lighting track, which is pretty much over the flippers. You can see ends of CAT and HDMI cables hanging down on the left where the cameras for the other three games will go. Also the lights are spotlights that will shine from the side, avoiding reflections in the glass.

#78 2 years ago

Paul built a wall, and I hung more TVs and cameras, because you can never have too many screens! These in-between screens will be used for digital signage and Twitch chats.

Pins with screens (resized).pngPins with screens (resized).pngStoreroom wall (resized).pngStoreroom wall (resized).png
    #79 2 years ago

Some glamor shots from last night.

Leia blur (resized).pngLeia blur (resized).pngMore screens (resized).pngMore screens (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #80 2 years ago

Storeroom is built, track lights are live, speakers are working and the first 5 of 21 screens & cameras are running.

Starting to feel like home.

Arcade with track lights (resized).pngArcade with track lights (resized).png
    2 months later
    #81 1 year ago

Sorry for the lack of updates, but we've been real busy. Screens, screens and more screens. Lights are mostly in. Two big-ass heat pumps to keep us cosy in Winter and cool in Summer. I'm awaiting a quote to mirror the back wall, which will effectively double the value of these LED lights

Weekend turnover has been steadily increasing as word starts to get around, but the real advertising can begin in a few weeks once the fitout is "done".

View from the front (resized).pngView from the front (resized).pngView from the rear (resized).pngView from the rear (resized).png
    1 week later
    #82 1 year ago

The back wall has been mirrored, and it appears I've doubled the size of the arcade!

...just a few more lights to go...

Busy arcade with lights and mirror (resized).pngBusy arcade with lights and mirror (resized).pngWall mirror being installed (resized).pngWall mirror being installed (resized).png
    1 week later
    #83 1 year ago

Decostar lights are up, my illuminated Hobbit playfield is hung, and enough of the fitout is "finished" that I can take glamour shots for advertising & brochures.

20220610_205504 (resized).jpg20220610_205504 (resized).jpg20220610_205545 (resized).jpg20220610_205545 (resized).jpg20220610_205753 (resized).jpg20220610_205753 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #86 1 year ago

Coming tomorrow, the piece of resistance.

Glowing red P (resized).pngGlowing red P (resized).png
    #91 1 year ago

None of the above

I'm just going to leave this here....

#92 1 year ago

Beautiful neon, and a bit more art on the walls...

Neon "PINBALL" sign (resized).pngNeon "PINBALL" sign (resized).pngPinball art on the wall (resized).pngPinball art on the wall (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballShoppe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-to-wellington-new-zealand?tu=PinballShoppe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.