(Topic ID: 302552)

Now flipping in Wellington, New Zealand...

By PinballShoppe

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball art on the wall (resized).png
    Neon
    pasted_image34 (resized).png
    pasted_image43 (resized).png
    Glowing red P (resized).png
    20220610_205753 (resized).jpg
    20220610_205545 (resized).jpg
    20220610_205504 (resized).jpg
    Busy arcade with lights and mirror (resized).png
    Wall mirror being installed (resized).png
    View from the rear (resized).png
    View from the front (resized).png
    Arcade with track lights (resized).png
    More screens (resized).png
    Leia blur (resized).png
    Pins with screens (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Open to the public Wednesday to Sunday from 12pm, at 16 Bond St, central Wellington.

#2 2 years ago

Awesome! But so far away.

#3 2 years ago

Sounds great! Do you plan to fill it with "Ye old EM pinballs" ?

#4 2 years ago

Congrats!!! Good luck with it!

#5 2 years ago

Sounds like a road trip from Australia is in order - congrats

#6 2 years ago

How many games do you plan to have?

#7 2 years ago

Planning our post-COVID trip overseas - NZ is now at the top of the list!

Congratulations on making your dream come true!

#8 2 years ago

Its been a long time coming! I'll have about 20 pins, mostly current gen, with P3s and others for sale. A few classics will bring balance to the tournaments, but the newest and shiniest will be up front to grab the public's attention. This is about exposing as many people as possible to modern pinball, and maybe tempting a few to buy an expensive toy for the family.

Here's a photo of the current space, and a quick sketch I did in ModusVR. Once I'm up and running my side-gig will be designing game rooms and home theatres, using VR as a tool.

1500031952 (resized).jpg1500031952 (resized).jpgBond St.space_photo.20211004.205534 (resized).pngBond St.space_photo.20211004.205534 (resized).png
    #9 2 years ago

Lets throw more AV at it!

Bond St.space_photo.20211030.140142 (resized).pngBond St.space_photo.20211030.140142 (resized).pngPinball Shoppe AV Network - 20211030.pdfPinball Shoppe AV Network - 20211030.pdf
    1 month later
    #10 2 years ago

Covering the windows prior to fitout. It's starting to feel real.

20211204_163756 (resized).jpg20211204_163756 (resized).jpg263600617_2641576625986854_3725692106261804772_n (resized).jpg263600617_2641576625986854_3725692106261804772_n (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

Sounds like a road trip from Australia is in order - congrats

What road are you taking from AUS to NZ?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

What road are you taking from AUS to NZ?

'the road less traveled'

#13 2 years ago

Looking forward to running many comps here.

rd

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Looking forward to running many comps here.
    rd

I'm looking forward to losing many games to you here

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShoppe:

I'm looking forward to losing many games to you here

You’ll have home field advantage.

rd

#16 2 years ago

looks very hi end. Good for you and Wellington. On a trip there a couple of years back I found a Dead Pool pro in the wild. First time I played the game. Best wishes on your endeavors!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

looks very hi end. Good for you and Wellington. On a trip there a couple of years back I found a Dead Pool pro in the wild. First time I played the game. Best wishes on your endeavors!

Thanks! I figured if I'm going to have a change in career, I may as well surround myself with lots of toys.

#18 2 years ago

Wow, so cool! I'm up in Wellington next week but that's probably a bit soon!

#19 2 years ago

I want to emigrate to NZ pretty seriously. Wellington and Kaikoura are the top of my list. Someone find use for an American attorney and part time comic book writer.

#20 2 years ago

Looks great. I used to live in Wellington - in Kilbirnie. Wish I still did with this arcade opening... Good luck with the venture.

Not sure about the name though!

1 week later
    #21 2 years ago

Getting chalk on walls to check fit, before confirming the order of over $30k of TVs. Oh boy. This might end up looking quite Bladerunner.

20211218_153510 (resized).jpg20211218_153510 (resized).jpg
    #22 2 years ago

50" displays hung off horizontal scaff bar with playfield cam view. 43" displays between every other game with two Twitch chat windows - one for each game. Camera and mic suspended in front of lower displays for eyeline when replying to chat.

00.space_photo.20211212.212436 (resized).png00.space_photo.20211212.212436 (resized).png
    #23 2 years ago
    Quoted from flukey:

Wow, so cool! I'm up in Wellington next week but that's probably a bit soon!

Bit too soon, sorry. I'm quietly hoping to open the last weekend of Jan, but who knows.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I want to emigrate to NZ pretty seriously. Wellington and Kaikoura are the top of my list. Someone find use for an American attorney and part time comic book writer.

Kaikoura is beautiful. Like Wellington, very much dominated by the landscape. I wish you luck in finding a way to immigrate here!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from mfresh:

Looks great. I used to live in Wellington - in Kilbirnie. Wish I still did with this arcade opening... Good luck with the venture.
    Not sure about the name though!

Thanks for the good wishes! The name refers to the fact that every small Olde English village had a pinball shoppe. Have I not been misinformed?

#26 2 years ago

This is a great thread to stumble upon,.. just as I plan to head back to NZ permanently next year. A few trips to see the Hurricanes play will now have the extra bonus of Pinball,.. looking fwd to seeing the lineup.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrWol64:

This is a great thread to stumble upon,.. just as I plan to head back to NZ permanently next year. A few trips to see the Hurricanes play will now have the extra bonus of Pinball,.. looking fwd to seeing the lineup.

One of several good locations in Wellington - hosting the meets I was telling you about the other day.

Wellington is really the only place with good location pinball in the country, at the moment.

rd

#28 2 years ago

Bit too soon, sorry. I'm quietly hoping to open the last weekend of Jan, but who knows.

This is great. It gives me another good reasons to visit Wellington again.

#29 2 years ago

Covering the windows prior to fitout. It's starting to feel real.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Just what I’ve been looking for!

9D23F8AE-1244-4BD3-9D28-5FAB92DFFBAF.jpeg9D23F8AE-1244-4BD3-9D28-5FAB92DFFBAF.jpeg
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just what I’ve been looking for!
    [quoted image]

That’s what we are all looking for.

rd

#31 2 years ago

Wellington is a very cool place to visit. Been there on several occasions. Used to have a home in Granity. The arcade sounds very exciting. Enjoy the ride man!

#32 2 years ago

The first of many.

P3 In shop (resized).pngP3 In shop (resized).png

This will help me line up lighting and camera angles.

#33 2 years ago

What’s the square footage of the space?

rd

#34 2 years ago

107 sqm. Not sure what that is in feets.

#35 2 years ago

Very awesome. Congrats!

#36 2 years ago

107 sqm. Not sure what that is in feets.

1150sqft … give or take.

I don’t remember if you ever went to my old Pukekohe warehouse. That was 120sqm less the stairway - so probably around the same size as your space.

I had around 60 pins in there. Plus an air hockey table! Not much room for people though. Lol!

rd

#37 2 years ago

That'll be nice and crowded! I have about 600mm between each game, so they're well spaced out, with couches and tables at the end. If we needed more games for a big tournament we could maybe cram in 40 machines. It'll be a squeeze getting in and out tho.

#38 2 years ago

That'll be nice and crowded! I have about 600mm between each game, so they're well spaced out, with couches and tables at the end. If we needed more games for a big tournament we could maybe cram in 40 machines. It'll be a squeeze getting in and out tho.

Your lineup will be plenty enough for a very large tournament!

I have 100 people on 11-12 pins for World System 11 Champs.

Can’t wait to get down there and crank up a comp!

rd

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Your lineup will be plenty enough for a very large tournament!
    I have 100 people on 11-12 pins for World System 11 Champs.
    Can’t wait to get down there and crank up a comp!
    rd

I heard it was more about the width of the body rather than the length of the lineup. Either's good by me, and if you have both, well, hours of fun for the whole family!

#40 2 years ago

Building a new arcade requires dedicating a whole bunch of time. To that end, today was my last (half) day of full time employment at my AV Integration company! Semi-retirement means I can focus on what's going to bring the most joy to the most people - all for the greater good. Happy Solstice everyone

#41 2 years ago

Newly minted and about to ship from China.

Token Photo (resized).jpgToken Photo (resized).jpg
    #42 2 years ago

GIB plasterboard is like hens' teeth in New Zealand till mid-February, but thankfully Mitre 10 in Petone had 13 sheets of awkwardly-long 4.8m Noiseline and Ultraline GIB that nobody else wanted. $2 per sheet + delivery, and some sore muscles later, we have enough GIB to complete the noise control part of the fitout! This means we can keep to the planned minimum-viable-product opening at the end of January. As steelwork and AV arrives the TVs can be added over time, or if we're lucky it'll be ready for the party.

13 Sheets of GIB (resized).png13 Sheets of GIB (resized).png
    #43 2 years ago

GIB mostly up, with Greenglue sound-absorbing compound. We'll get the rest up and plastered tomorrow, then painted.

Then we wait for everyone to get back from holiday so we can order the steelwork and electrical. Then its a race to the opening on the 28th to make "minimum-viable-product" as cool as possible. I've no idea if the lighting tracks (or lights!) will show up in time, but the invitations have gone out so I'm committed to the 28th!

GIB mostly done (resized).pngGIB mostly done (resized).pngGreenglue on GIB (resized).pngGreenglue on GIB (resized).png
    #44 2 years ago

Looking awesome Hamish
    Will be a brilliant hang out for sure.
    Great to see the build progress.
    Well done man.

All the best
    Ando

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Looking awesome Hamish
    Will be a brilliant hang out for sure.
    Great to see the build progress.
    Well done man.
    All the best
    Ando

Thanks Ando! I look forward to hosting some Pincade events, so hopefully we'll see you there one day! I missed last year's Brisbane Masters, but I'll be back on your side of the ditch when I can.

#46 2 years ago

In case anyone is in Wellington at the end of the month.....

Freeplay Opening Day Invite (resized).pngFreeplay Opening Day Invite (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #47 2 years ago

Making good progress. Wall is carpeted, to save the hassle of painting and provide more sound absorption. Cable tray droppers are in, and by the end of the weekend I should have the trays up and power run to the other side of the room. #minimumviableproduct
    Cable tray droppers (resized).pngCable tray droppers (resized).pngCarpeted wall (resized).pngCarpeted wall (resized).png

#48 2 years ago

We have cable trays, power, ventilation booked in for Friday, signwriting tomorrow, and very soon a tonne of pins! Supply chain dramas mean the TVs, cameras, DMX lighting and streaming will be added over the next few weeks, but now it's the mad 48 hour rush to the opening party finish line

20220126_211904 (resized).jpg20220126_211904 (resized).jpg
    #49 2 years ago

Good luck with everything, with a name like that I think you need to hire a town crier for the opening if you can get one.
    Not sure about pinball but there was definitely a pub in every village
    Going to be a great place

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Good luck with everything, with a name like that I think you need to hire a town crier for the opening if you can get one.

That's a fantastic idea! Christchurch, until recently, had an official wizard. Wellington could certainly one-up that with a town crier.

Thanks for the kind words

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-to-wellington-new-zealand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.