(Topic ID: 599)

Coming soon to my collection...Stern Seawitch!!

By super8man

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by scarybeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-4.jpg
#1 14 years ago

Just found out I may be able to acquire for "free" a Stern Seawitch (1980 IIRC from IPDB) - my wife's uncle has one in a garage on one of his properties. Sweet! Nice to see the plastics are still available from Marco (pinball machine dot com). So, my big concern will be how good the playfield is and the backglass. I was told a flipper stopped working. But, they are not pinheads (just regular folk).

Looks like the new year is off to a good start!

Cheers,
Mike

#2 14 years ago

Well I hope you get it super8man,
I hardly ever see old stern pins around anymore
that table has a fantastic playfield.

image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg

#3 14 years ago

That's cool. Never seen that one before. Send us pics when you get it.

#4 14 years ago

Stern realy made some great looking games in the beginning. An sea witch is one of them!

#5 14 years ago

Nice .. send us some pics when you get her.

#6 14 years ago

Will do. I'll take some pictures of how I found it in the "garage" too...not sure what to expect...if the playfield is shot, that may make me want to trade/sell it. The current owners did not know you can remove the head to move it so that may work in my favor or not. Is this not the best part of getting a pin? The wondering of what gem you might find before actually seeing it? Sort of like all those old muscle car found in a forgotten barn stories...Maybe it will be an HUO game with one burnt out coil and otherwise mint?

Then I discovered one of my wife's friend's husband has a Gottlieb "Big Hit" EM machine he is bored of and no longer plays/wants...hmmm...not sure I can fit a fourth but if the opportunity presents itself, I could probably sneak it into the cave and hide it under a bunch of boxes, disassembled of course...hahaha...

#7 14 years ago

Yea, can't wait for before and after pics. That table has some great art on it.

So funny how tables 20+ years old look light years ahead of anything being produced today. Wish people would get a clue and start making nice looking pins again.

#8 14 years ago

Nice looking pin! some of the older ones are real treasures!

#9 14 years ago

Buy both, fix them, play them, and sell whichever one you don't like.

1 month later
#10 14 years ago

Well, after worrying that my Uncle saw the latest pinball wizard episode of Pawn Stars, we finally had a solid talk about the "Sea Witch" pinball machine. Apparently, he just wants his $350 out of it and then it's mine. I still have not seen the machine so I promised that I would take it no matter what and if it is too far gone will try to sell it for him. However, if it works or is playable, I will take it and promise to share profits should I ever sell it.

So, it's all arranged...however, due to real life stuff, I won't get my hands on it until April. Stay tuned...(It's located like 2 hours away from me, hence the no peeking...)

Seriously, I really thought he was having visions of grandeur about a "pinball" machine and then when that damn PS came on I thought the deal was sunk for sure and he would think I was trying to pull one over on him...

Patience...patience...

#11 14 years ago

Nice .. I hope you get it asap. Sell it ? haha .. no you won't

Hope you read the thread about that show and prices being super faked that was posted today.

Heck .. look at the post I made of what Wolfman has for sale. Several machines at $400 and I bet they work perfect except for some lamps. I wish I had the $1000 for the DE Simpsons or Teed Off.

#12 14 years ago

Oh yeah, I was ranting with the rest of the loons on RGP about Pawn Stars...I won't be watching again. History channel was always on an ad everytime I surfed by anyway...

Yeah, for me, the $1K mark starts entering the buyer's remorse zone. It's got to be really special to get me to overcome that (like a KISS or Capt Fantastic or Wizard). Otherwise, my next score would be a classic EM...Locally there was a nice zipadoo for $400 I should have had...but I let it pass.

3 months later
#13 13 years ago

Update...this weekend I am picking it up (Seawitch)...finally...took months of "negotiation." Will post pictures by Sunday...stay tuned...

#14 13 years ago

Good deal Super8man. I have two I am refurbishing. Have one up and running. I love the backglass. The play isn't bad for an old game. It has some tight shots and I love the 3 pops and all the drop targets. I put yellow flipper rubber on mine and it looks great.
Your playfield looks to be in excellent shape.

#15 13 years ago

A very nice collectible older Stern. I hope you get them both redone SC or at least make one super one from the two with lots of spare parts. We look forward to your pics S8man.

#16 13 years ago

I am redoing both BD. Just waiting on parts for the other.

#17 13 years ago

$350 is not that smoking a price. The machine books at $550, but if the cab is trashed,or the play field is trashed, it might not be a good value, especially since you mentioned a bad play field might make you want to sell it. For $350, I'd want to see it before committing, it's good you have the re-sale deal with him. It could be a great deal though.

#18 13 years ago

Dying to see pics of that pin super8man. One of the classics from "Classic Stern".

#19 13 years ago

No pics yet but I will snap a pic as it sits in the garage when I see it. My uncle also is trying to pawn a PONG game off on my but 3 is my limit in the garage. Now, if it was Defender or Centipede, I would be all over it...but a 220-pound PONG? I don't think so.

My uncle insists his machine is "prettier than mine" that I have already (Gorgar and Mata Hari) but then you just can't tell what some folks think is nice. I was also told by distant family member on that side that I had "purdy teeth" so cue the Deliverance soundtrack.

Oh, I am not paying for it at all...if I do sell it, we will split the "profits" whatever that means...

#20 13 years ago

When it gets this cheap it's not about the resell value .. it's about the acquisition and the joy of restoring it. At least IMHO. We aren't in this hobby for profit but the joy of the game. Please don't take this as a jab against your opinion of value jalpert. It's all in how you look at things.

#21 13 years ago

I tried suggesting this point on the new Costco Batman pinball machine and let's just say I did not make any friends! Haha...

#22 13 years ago

Super8man - I love your name. I'm an 8-man because I played rugby..lol it was my position. I don't know why you're an 8-man but let me know.

Anyway, my position is if you like the art work, buy it. You are giving the money to family. Sounds like a good deal if he isn't using it. You'll enjoy it more, working or not. If you like the art work, you'll just like looking at it. Autumnfade has a good pic posted there. It is pretty! If you never get it working, hang the playfield on the wall. lol

I was a pinball freak as a kid, and in college. I won a trophy in Abilene, TX in 1978. Ok I was 5 or 6 yrs. old. Colonial Food Store pinball champ of 1978. I was a stud at show 'n' tell in the first grade. How about them apples BD? lol

I lost it, hadn't played forever, played a Nugnet last Sept. at a Dio concert (god rest his soul) Now I own six. I'm not rich or showing off, (well the 1978 trophy is showing off) I just figured out I should be playing pinball. I'm here to learn about fixing them. I like it, sell it to me. hehehehe Question is it for investment? or entertainment?

#23 13 years ago

This is me:

http://outriggercanoe.com/

and

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

Currently spinning 8-tracks in my home stereo...

I'll be sure to cover the game and its condition very well...got my digital cam already to go.

BD is right, it's the hunt and fixing that is most fun for me. Plus just bring back to life something long forgotten.

2 years later
#24 11 years ago

That is a beautiful play field! really like the classic art of the old machines. The new stuff on today's machines just feel like cheap toy advertisements. The points numbers feel like price tags. lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-to-my-collectionstern-seawitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.