Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by shakenbake
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6136 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8858 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8856 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8855 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8853 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8852 (resized).JPG
    20171126_202634 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8783 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8782 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    20171014_123220 (resized).jpg
    20171014_123213 (resized).jpg
    dmh_angle (resized).jpg
    playfield_closeup3 (resized).PNG
    dmh_front (resized).jpg
    playfield_closeup1 (resized).PNG

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Riot Pinball is excited to announce its newest pinball concept – Dead Man’s Hand!

Dead Man’s Hand is a table top, all mechanical, “bingo” style pinball table. It offers convenience and portability for those wanting a new pinball experience without compromising on where to play or giving up precious game room space. The game can be easily stored in a variety of locations or hang on the wall as a piece of art while offering easy access.

The game challenges a wide range of players as they attempt to make the best poker hand possible. Beginners and advanced players alike can compete against one another in this game of finesse and nudging skill; but watch out – don’t get the Dead Man’s Hand! A wide range of alternative games can also be played such as highest single card with one plunge, first person to get the joker, etc.

The design also offers a range of difficulty settings that you can choose before you start playing. The tilt mechanism is a simple, yet effective solution that relies on a pinball held in place by different hole sizes. Change the placement of the ball to change the tilt sensitivity. Nudge the game too much and the ball will fall out of place and you are stuck with the hand you have at the time of the tilt. The game also offers a “Dead Man’s Hand” hole. Depending on the difficulty level, dropping a ball into this hole will either end the game (similar to tilting) or it will just hold the ball and now the best hand must be made with 4 balls.

Riot Pinball will be showcasing Dead Man’s Hand in the Cointaker Booth at the 2017 Chicago Pinball Expo. We will be having a free tournament for all to play starting Friday from 6:00pm to 7:00pm and ending on Saturday from 4:00pm to 5:00pm.* The individual with the best poker hand after the two days will win a gift certificate for product from Cointaker (with runner up prizes as well).** Additionally, free “Dead Man’s Hand” poker chips will be given away to all those who beat the current best hand at the time.*** Play as many times as you like, however you must return to the back of the line after every play.

I look forward to seeing everyone at EXPO.

Scott Gullicks
    [email protected]

* Times may be subject to change. Check in with the Cointaker booth at EXPO for final timing.
    ** Do not need to be present to win, but must pick up prize with Cointaker before end of EXPO.
    *** While supplies last.
    Game Specifications: Width: 19.75”, Height: 7.75”, Length: 45.0”

Special Thanks:
    Greg Butcher – CNC prototyping playfield and cabinet
    Joe Kace (laseriffic.com) – Laser cutting plastics
    Justin Stearns – Providing the artwork for the side of the game

Ps. Yes, Riot Pinball realizes the irony of having a game called Dead Man’s Hand but not having any 8’s on the table to make the famous Aces and Eights hand. So all the smarty pants out there do not need to feel compelled to post about it.

Photos of the prototype game
    dmh_front (resized).jpgdmh_front (resized).jpg
    dmh_angle (resized).jpgdmh_angle (resized).jpg

Artwork Closeups
    playfield_closeup1 (resized).PNGplayfield_closeup1 (resized).PNG
    playfield_closeup3 (resized).PNGplayfield_closeup3 (resized).PNG

Poker Chip Give Away
    20171001_133654 (resized).jpg20171001_133654 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I won't be at expo, but color me intrigued. Love the art style on those, and the I assume old west poker theme. Look forward to seeing more.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

tay tuned for something new from Riot Pinball debuting at the Chicago Expo 2017.

So, does "something" = pinball machine?

#4 6 years ago

Looks like Pistol Poker.

#5 6 years ago

Oh man, how do I get one of those!!!
    Can’t wait!!!

#6 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Maybe this is the showstopper we've been looking for

#8 6 years ago

Feels like Scott will knock one out of the park again !

Great Expo coming up.

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago

Maybe a new game for P3? We need more clues Scott!

#10 6 years ago

Nice, wasn't expecting any other new pin announcements. What day is the release?

#11 6 years ago

Interesting! A new western theme is among the top for me. I don't have an issue with the poker, but I'm hoping it's more western then poker. A few ideas I'd like to see.

1) Instead of a Midnight Madness there should be a Madness at High Noon.
    2) Video Mode - I think it would be cool to have a showdown mode where you must draw your gun faster then a computer opponent. When the mode starts you must hold both flipper buttons to prove that your finger is not already on the "trigger". When your opponent draws you move your hand as quickly as possible to the launch button (perhaps a gun trigger). The faster this is accomplished the more points are earned. Hopefully not worth a ton of points, but I think it would be a fun mini-game.

#12 6 years ago

Wow, that has some serious potential.

#13 6 years ago

I hope it gets a cool nickname like Scott's WOOLY !

LTG : )

#14 6 years ago

Sweet! Artwork on the chips looks great!

#15 6 years ago

Glad to see the excitement being posted. For those expecting to see a reveal of a full size, electro-mechanical pinball machine you may want to temper your expectations. I don't think I could have kept a project of that scale secret. I'll be posting news and information later today. As always, thank you for your support!

-Scott
    [email protected]

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Glad to see the excitement being posted. For those expecting to see a reveal of a full size, electro-mechanical pinball machine you may want to temper your expectations. I don't think I could have kept a project of that scale secret. I'll be posting news and information later today. As always, thank you for your support!
    -Scott
    [email protected]

So I'll ask how do we get one of the Coins in the meantime?

#17 6 years ago

sounds cool, watching .....

#18 6 years ago

Will it be there on Thursday? Only day I am at the show...

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from gentrsa:

So I'll ask how do we get one of the Coins in the meantime?

Poker chips will be given away for new high poker hands during the tournament. See first post for details.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Will it be there on Thursday? Only day I am at the show...

Sorry, just Friday and Saturday. See first post for details.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Poker chips will be given away for new high poker hands during the tournament. See first post for details.

Got it, too bad I will not be there, just too far, but game looks nice!

#22 6 years ago

I'm just glad to see somebody is finally making the kind of games real players want.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm just glad to see somebody is finally making the kind of games real players want.

I found it funny/interesting how much damn fun a game like this is with a good group of people. Whether my 2 year old is playing, or an expert pinhead, the game play is all on an even playing field and everyone has a good time.

#24 6 years ago

It's DayOne Pinball all over again. At least you didn't use (super annoying to build with) tiny nails.

#25 6 years ago

I've been looking to add a bingo style game to my collection but they are so darn big and heavy. Not to mention how much work it takes to get them fully working. This might fit the bill perfectly.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've been looking to add a bingo style game to my collection but they are so darn big and heavy. Not to mention how much work it takes to get them fully working. This might fit the bill perfectly.

This game is probably about as reliable as it can get. The plunger is the only moving piece. I went with the KISS rule on this one...

#27 6 years ago

Fantastic idea! Looks like Nick Baldridge will have to add another game to his Multi-Bingo! Good luck with the game.
    Any flyers printed?

#28 6 years ago

What’s your ghosting policy?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Fantastic idea! Looks like Nick Baldridge will have to add another game to his Multi-Bingo! Good luck with the game.
    Any flyers printed?

Not yet. My intent is to use EXPO as a method to find out how well people receive the idea. If there is enough interest I'll pursue manufacturing a few. The nice thing is there is no tooling or overhead so there should be opportunity to make as small or large of a run as needed.

Quoted from Pinzzz:

What’s your ghosting policy?

Lol. Well, there are no inserts so there should be no ghosting...

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

This game is probably about as reliable as it can get. The plunger is the only moving piece. I went with the KISS rule on this one...

You have to pull the balls out of the holes at the end? Does it come with a magnet on a stick?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You have to pull the balls out of the holes at the end? Does it come with a magnet on a stick?

Yes, you have to pull the balls out on your own. You can do it without a tool. I will have an old plastic six shooter with a magnet in the end of it with me at EXPO to retrieve the balls for people though.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Yes, you have to pull the balls out on your own. You can do it without a tool. I will have an old plastic six shooter with a magnet in the end of it with me at EXPO to retrieve the balls for people though.

haha! Excellent.

#33 6 years ago

that is awesome, great idea and artwork - I would be interested

#34 6 years ago

Ha! This is rad. I won't be at Expo, and this is the first time I have even a little pang of regret, I'd love to play this. Hope you get enough interest to build some, seems like a great addition to a collection.

#35 6 years ago

Awesome dollar game. Bring your golden sacs! I will play anybody anytime on this thing. Hopefully it will be the center of a party like Scoregasm Master at MGC a couple years ago.

#36 6 years ago

A great ode to the golden age of bagatelle! Would be fun to have as a wall hanger with the ability to take down and play! Awesome work!

#37 6 years ago

But are you showing it with "Completed" code? LOL.

#38 6 years ago

I'd be interested in this too. Put me on the interest list if you have one.

#39 6 years ago

Sometime last night there was just a picture of the chips and I thumbed up the post thinking this was going to be a real pinball machine. I haven't played Wrath of Olympus before but from what I've seen it looked awesome. Tossing a LCD into it, getting a license and redoing the art using the WOOLY playfield would of been sweet.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

But are you showing it with "Completed" code? LOL.

Quoted from T-800:

I went with the KISS rule on this one...

Obviously not. . .

#41 6 years ago

Cool, what a great nod to historic pinball. I'd like it better with a nice set of burled walnut wood sides with some branding/art burned in.

#42 6 years ago

Looks really nice. Aside from the Dead Man's Hand hole Are the dimensions exactly like Twin Joker? It looks like the card layout is the same. 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" balls?

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Looks really nice. Aside from the Dead Man's Hand hole Are the dimensions exactly like Twin Joker? It looks like the card layout is the same. 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" balls?

Its similar but slightly different. Standard 1 1/16" pinballs.

#44 6 years ago

I'm interested! I see Greg had a hand in it I'll be at expo on Saturday and can't wait to try it out. I'll buy one and at the show I'll give you any info you need, I love the artwork.

#45 6 years ago

Very cool looking game and interesting approach to use the poker theme for a bingo-type game. Love the artwork. Looking forward to play it.

#46 6 years ago

No ghosting, complete code day one. No tilt, difficult skill shot. no boards or fuses or wires. low maintenance. purest pinball ever. I am in!

#47 6 years ago

Do I dare ask how much??

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

Do I dare ask how much??

For which one? Pro,Prem, or Le....

#49 6 years ago

Bonus! There is actually a tilt. A 6th ball sits in the rules card area. Shake it too much and the ball falls off its stand and the game is over. Well, if you are playing by the rules

Quoted from Pinzzz:

No ghosting, complete code day one. No tilt, difficult skill shot. no boards or fuses or wires. low maintenance. purest pinball ever. I am in!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Bonus! There is actually a tilt. A 6th ball sits in the rules card area. Shake it too much and the ball falls off its stand and the game is over. Well, if you are playing by the rules

Is it cheating if you glue the ball to the stand?

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-to-expo-2017-from-riot-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.