BC88F5D4-64DC-46C7-9D01-726F48847D4D (resized).jpeg
FA140D9F-246D-494D-8A8E-532B50D624A1 (resized).jpeg
62B5AD09-7E2F-4B0B-A46F-4A3C5B0B9A50 (resized).jpeg
7ECAB3C0-6B33-4AD9-AF9B-0FAFF36F0844 (resized).jpeg
20180916_091319 (resized).jpg
promo PM05 postcard set (resized).jpg
PM05 magazine (resized).jpg
PM05 cover (small) (resized).jpg
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago

there may be some news on "including something extra" . . .

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Woohoo, getting even more excited now!

PS: can’t wait to showcase these magz at PAX Aus in (late) October

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Hopefully this is worked out before first shipment drop. This is the most excited I've been in years for a pinball "book". Wayne is THE MAN.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Please let me know if I can get one from you in Vancouver and I'll do that. Please hold one.

I'd like to get one in Vancouver at the Flipout as well if possible.

#105 5 years ago

Just sent out a newsletter with good news and bad news. The bad news is I won't be able to ship magazines this week due to my supplier of packing material not having enough bubble wrap sacks in stock. They will become available by the end of this week. Due to Amazon's prep policies, I will also have to do more prepping for the magazines that will ship to Amazon as inventory.

The good news: the current delay allows me to have a little extra made that will only be included in the first few hundred orders (including those that order via Amazon). So it takes a little longer for the current orders to arrive, but you'll get an exclusive extra as well

For more info: www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

#106 5 years ago

Here's a preview of the extra that comes with the first 500 orders of Pinball Magazine No. 5: a 7-piece postcard set of Wayne Neyens pinball machines, photographed by Santiago Ciuffo.
More info: www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

promo PM05 postcard set (resized).jpgpromo PM05 postcard set (resized).jpg
#107 5 years ago

When you let Amazon handle the prep, if something happens, it's on them, right? Maybe easier to let them do it. (they're good)

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

When you let Amazon handle the prep, if something happens, it's on them, right? Maybe easier to let them do it. (they're good)

No, Amazon is very forgiving to themselves for screwing up. If your package ends up returned due to being damaged, that just too bad. If the customer still wants the product they just send a new item, but you basically lost inventory due to them.

#110 5 years ago

Just ordered mine direct from the man himself!

1 week later
#111 5 years ago

Got mine ordered direct a few days ago...can't wait!!!

#112 5 years ago

Need to do some reading

20180916_091319 (resized).jpg20180916_091319 (resized).jpg
#113 5 years ago

The first pallet of orders that came in through www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/ has just been delivered to DHL. They will ship it to Frankfurt where Deutsche Post will take care of further distribution.
Next on my agenda is to prepare the inventory that will ship to Amazon, hopefully later this week.

#115 5 years ago

Mine arrived in the UK today. Awesome. And nearly broke my wrist when the postman handed it to me!

#116 5 years ago

The Pinball Resource (Steve) also has Pinball Magazine No. 5 in stock per their website and a phone conversation today. I don't know if their copy includes the extra postcards.

Thank you for all of the work you performed in getting this published and distributed, Jonathon!

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Mine arrived in the UK today. Awesome. And nearly broke my wrist when the postman handed it to me!

One of two I ordered arrived today.

#118 5 years ago

I am starting to regret waiting for them to be up on amazon, lo.

#119 5 years ago

Ordered August 30, but our (Aus) postal system runs on fumes :-/

#120 5 years ago

Earlier today I sent out the newsletter below:

A month ago I announced that Pinball Magazine No. 5 was printed and available in the Pinball Magazine webshop. Since then many orders came in, and I already shipped several batches of orders, which since then have started arriving at destinations in Europe and the U.S. If you ordered a copy: I'm looking forward to your feedback about the magazine. As I was working with a new system for creating address labels, I discovered a few minor errors, but those affected I already reached out to. In case something went wrong with your order, please do contact me so I can see how we can solve the situation.

When Pinball Magazine No. 5 came out, I also informed you that I was working on having the magazine become available through Amazon, which I expected to result in cheaper pricing. The overseas shipping costs are quite steep since the magazine weights 47 ounces, so I was looking for a way to reduce shipping costs and the combined total price of the magazine plus shipping.

Since then I have been trying to work with Amazon to ship inventory to their distribution centers. Initially, I prepped boxes of magazines to send to Amazon, when I was informed that each copy should be prepped as ready for individual shipping. So I did that, and I changed the dimensions and weight of these packages accordingly in Amazon's system. At that point, it turned out Amazon was charging close to $15 in fees, which didn't even include shipping costs. As I'm also facing costs to ship the magazines to Amazon, which would be added to the magazine price, the Amazon pricing per magazine turned out to be more expensive than it is in the Pinball Magazine webshop. And shipping still wasn’t included in the Amazon price. So I asked a bunch of questions to Amazon's Seller helpdesk, and initially, they were very helpful. When I started asking questions about the fees being applied to the magazine, for which all they have to do is pick it off the shelf, slap an address label on it and ship it out, they went silent.

As many in the U.S. have, per my suggestion, patiently waited to place their order of Pinball Magazine No. 5, and possibly previous issues as well, I’m now at the point where I’m advising you: just order in the Pinball Magazine webshop (www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/) as it will be cheaper than Amazon after all. I apologize for the delay in informing you on this, but I really wanted the Amazon thing to work.

As you may know, I also made a Limited Edition set of postcards available for the first 500 orders of the magazine. For those wondering: there are still sets of postcards available, and I'm pretty confident that if you order your copy of Pinball Magazine No. 5 this week, you're still receiving the postcards as well.

While Pinball Magazine usually ships incoming orders once a month, due to a minimum quantity of required orders to qualify for more economical postal rates, I expect to be shipping several batches of incoming orders this month and during the first weeks of October. So if you haven't ordered your copy of Pinball Magazine No. 5 yet, please do so now, and you should be receiving your copy shortly.

Please note that Pinball Magazine No. 5 is also available with the following companies:
Freddy’s Pinball Paradise – Germany
Pinball Universe – Germany
The Pinball Resource – U.S.A.
The magazine will also be available with Rob Anthony / Pinball Classics at his booth during Pinball Expo, next month in Wheeling, IL.

Speaking of Pinball Expo: I did a brief interview with Pinball Expo organizer Rob Berk, who was attending the IAAPA Euro Attractions Show in Amsterdam this week. This interview will be part of Pinball Magazine’s monthly pinball industry update newsletter and the new Pinball Magazine & Pinball News podcast. Both will be available the first week of October.

Since I just mentioned Pinball News: Martin Ayub wrote the first review about Pinball Magazine No. 5, which he published on the Pinball News website. Do check that out if you want to know what you can expect of the magazine. I’m expecting more reviews from various sources in the coming weeks.

That’s all for now. I’ll be back in a few days with the monthly pinball industry update and link to my IAAPA Euro Attractions Show report.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
Pinball Magazine

#121 5 years ago

Your always SO ontop of updates of any kind!

Thank you for the heads up Jonathan!

#122 5 years ago

Thanks Jonathan unigroove

Ordered from PBR Tuesday and arrived today.

7ECAB3C0-6B33-4AD9-AF9B-0FAFF36F0844 (resized).jpeg7ECAB3C0-6B33-4AD9-AF9B-0FAFF36F0844 (resized).jpeg
#123 5 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Ordered August 30, but our (Aus) postal system runs on fumes :-/

I ordered on August 30th also and just received it yesterday. Well worth the wait (or weight... this is a seriously thick magazine )!

#124 5 years ago

Great magazine. A real collectable.

Great coffee table book

#125 5 years ago

Got mine today. Love it! Thanks so much for your hard work.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Earlier today I sent out the newsletter below:
A month ago I announced that Pinball Magazine No. 5 was printed and available in the Pinball Magazine webshop. Since then many orders came in, and I already shipped several batches of orders, which since then have started arriving at destinations in Europe and the U.S. If you ordered a copy: I'm looking forward to your feedback about the magazine. As I was working with a new system for creating address labels, I discovered a few minor errors, but those affected I already reached out to. In case something went wrong with your order, please do contact me so I can see how we can solve the situation.
When Pinball Magazine No. 5 came out, I also informed you that I was working on having the magazine become available through Amazon, which I expected to result in cheaper pricing. The overseas shipping costs are quite steep since the magazine weights 47 ounces, so I was looking for a way to reduce shipping costs and the combined total price of the magazine plus shipping.
Since then I have been trying to work with Amazon to ship inventory to their distribution centers. Initially, I prepped boxes of magazines to send to Amazon, when I was informed that each copy should be prepped as ready for individual shipping. So I did that, and I changed the dimensions and weight of these packages accordingly in Amazon's system. At that point, it turned out Amazon was charging close to $15 in fees, which didn't even include shipping costs. As I'm also facing costs to ship the magazines to Amazon, which would be added to the magazine price, the Amazon pricing per magazine turned out to be more expensive than it is in the Pinball Magazine webshop. And shipping still wasn’t included in the Amazon price. So I asked a bunch of questions to Amazon's Seller helpdesk, and initially, they were very helpful. When I started asking questions about the fees being applied to the magazine, for which all they have to do is pick it off the shelf, slap an address label on it and ship it out, they went silent.
As many in the U.S. have, per my suggestion, patiently waited to place their order of Pinball Magazine No. 5, and possibly previous issues as well, I’m now at the point where I’m advising you: just order in the Pinball Magazine webshop (www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/) as it will be cheaper than Amazon after all. I apologize for the delay in informing you on this, but I really wanted the Amazon thing to work.
As you may know, I also made a Limited Edition set of postcards available for the first 500 orders of the magazine. For those wondering: there are still sets of postcards available, and I'm pretty confident that if you order your copy of Pinball Magazine No. 5 this week, you're still receiving the postcards as well.
While Pinball Magazine usually ships incoming orders once a month, due to a minimum quantity of required orders to qualify for more economical postal rates, I expect to be shipping several batches of incoming orders this month and during the first weeks of October. So if you haven't ordered your copy of Pinball Magazine No. 5 yet, please do so now, and you should be receiving your copy shortly.
Please note that Pinball Magazine No. 5 is also available with the following companies:
Freddy’s Pinball Paradise – Germany
Pinball Universe – Germany
The Pinball Resource – U.S.A.
The magazine will also be available with Rob Anthony / Pinball Classics at his booth during Pinball Expo, next month in Wheeling, IL.
Speaking of Pinball Expo: I did a brief interview with Pinball Expo organizer Rob Berk, who was attending the IAAPA Euro Attractions Show in Amsterdam this week. This interview will be part of Pinball Magazine’s monthly pinball industry update newsletter and the new Pinball Magazine & Pinball News podcast. Both will be available the first week of October.
Since I just mentioned Pinball News: Martin Ayub wrote the first review about Pinball Magazine No. 5, which he published on the Pinball News website. Do check that out if you want to know what you can expect of the magazine. I’m expecting more reviews from various sources in the coming weeks.
That’s all for now. I’ll be back in a few days with the monthly pinball industry update and link to my IAAPA Euro Attractions Show report.
Kind regards,
Jonathan
Pinball Magazine

I am sure this has been said many times but Thank You for creating such an Amazing book to grow this hobby and preserve the wonderful history of the many creative talents that created it. I couldn't begin to guess how many Thousands of hours it took to collect, edit, write, and produce something this monumental. To call it a magazine is a huge understatement. Sincere bravo to you for creating this for all to enjoy. Thanks!!

#127 5 years ago

I got mine a few days ago. The mailman brought it up the driveway with a hand truck.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Gorgonzola:

I ordered on August 30th also and just received it yesterday. Well worth the wait (or weight... this is a seriously thick magazine )!

Awesome to hear! Still no show here, so I’ll wait another week before I press the alarm bell (email Jonathan).

#129 5 years ago

The (hefty) eagle has landed! Can’t wait to bust it open

62B5AD09-7E2F-4B0B-A46F-4A3C5B0B9A50 (resized).jpeg62B5AD09-7E2F-4B0B-A46F-4A3C5B0B9A50 (resized).jpegFA140D9F-246D-494D-8A8E-532B50D624A1 (resized).jpegFA140D9F-246D-494D-8A8E-532B50D624A1 (resized).jpeg
#130 5 years ago

I'm shipping out a new batch of orders this Tuesday. If you haven't ordered your copy yet, do so now: www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

1 week later
#131 5 years ago
BC88F5D4-64DC-46C7-9D01-726F48847D4D (resized).jpegBC88F5D4-64DC-46C7-9D01-726F48847D4D (resized).jpeg
#132 5 years ago

Awesome!

A reminder that these will be available at my booth at Expo this week. They're also available for US buyers from my web site LockWhenLit.com.

Of course buying from the source is always the best when possible.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#133 5 years ago

I ordered from PBResources and got it in two days which was nice. Only downside was that the bonus postcards were not included.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I ordered from PBResources and got it in two days which was nice. Only downside was that the bonus postcards were not included.

Where on their website do you see the magazine?

I looked under "books", "stuff", etc.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Just email them, that's how I order all my stuff from PBresource.

#136 5 years ago

Just got off the phone with Steve and ordered a copy! (he will ship and then you pay with a check)....the usual....

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yes, that is where you would expect it to be, lol. It is actually on the news page which is cool but it is strange they do not have it on the Books/Videos page since they have just updated it with the 2018 price guide.

#138 5 years ago

Yes, the news page! When it wasn't in the books section, I thought he was Sold Out. Good thing I called!

#139 5 years ago

Whoa! It says the book was delivered today!

#140 5 years ago
IMG_4327 (resized).jpgIMG_4327 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#141 5 years ago

Please note the Pinball Magazine webshop is being upgraded and for the time being under construction. Anyone looking to place an order, please contact me by email: editor @ pinball-magazine . com (no spaces).

#142 5 years ago

The Pinball Magazine webshop has been updated and is fully functional again. New look and easier checkout. Check it out: www.pinball-magazine.com/shop

1 month later
#143 5 years ago

I finished reading the Wayne interview.

Super interesting and great to have it saved for the future.

There was one question I would loved to have asked him.

In the 50's ( which is when he thought he was at a designing peak ) , most of his superb designs had multiple ways to win. Many games had 5 different ways to win.

He said himself that this kept players on the edge as they always believed they had a chance of winning and so these games were very enticing to play.

In the 1960's Wayne's games did not have as many ways to win and I don't think any game had 5 ways to win.

Was this done deliberately or a result of 'design fatigue' or simply a cost cutting measure?

Interesting to read that moving to metal legs from wood, saved 50% cost!

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Was this done deliberately or a result of 'design fatigue' or simply a cost cutting measure?

I just got off the phone with Wayne and I asked him about this, but he didn't have a clear answer. Obviously, it depends which game you're talking about. I was under the impression things changed when score reels were introduced on single-player games, but that had nothing to do with it according to Wayne. However, the introduction of score reels did take away the second scoring system in the backbox, so no more specials for beating the threshold on score and points. So one way to score a special was lost that way.
I'm not sure whether the awarding of specials had anything to do with cost-cutting.

#145 5 years ago

Nice that you could ask Wayne

It does make sense that it would be harder and more costly to have multiple ways to win, once score reels were introduced.

But, it does seem there was a shift away from the multiple ways to win, that were so plentiful from 1950 - 1955 especially.

1955 was the time Gottlieb moved from wooden legs to save money, so maybe it was cost cutting?

Also the big jackpot games were phased out, which is surprising as try and find these titles without worn playfields.

Ace High 1957. An 8 special jackpot.

World Champ 1957. A 10 special jackpot.

These 2 games were incredibly popular with players due to those jackpots but Gottlieb never introduced them again, and no real idea why?

Whilst there are many many great games after 1957, there were no more big jackpot games or games that you could win 5 different ways.

Very curious as Wayne was very clear how he liked to reward the player with enticing jackpots and the feeling of always being close to winning.

So, there was certainly a massive shift from 1957 and I just wonder why?

1 week later
#146 5 years ago

Who likes FREE stuff?
Good news for you: Here's a free downloadable supplement to Pinball Magazine No. 5, a very interesting 15-page interview with Gottlieb pinball designer John Osborne (Hit the Deck, Blue Note, Force II, Volcano, Haunted House) about his game designs, prototype mechs and games that never got mass-produced, working with Wayne Nyens and much more. http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=3823 If you didn't order Pinball Magazine No. 5 yet, you may want to after reading this interview Enjoy!

Pinball Magazine No 5 John Osborne supplement cover (resized).jpgPinball Magazine No 5 John Osborne supplement cover (resized).jpg
#147 5 years ago

over 250 downloads within 24 hours

3 weeks later
#148 5 years ago

As editor of Pinball Magazine I wish everybody a wonderful 2019.

Pinball Magazine will shipping out a new batch of orders on January 4th. Any orders coming in prior to midnight on January 3rd CET will still ship in this batch. There are still some sets of postcards available when ordering Pinball Magazine No. 5, so if you haven’t ordered your copy yet, now would be a good time.
www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

5 months later
#149 4 years ago

Imoto Harney, probably the coolest woman on the planet, did an interview with me at Texas Pinball Festival 2019 on the award-winning PinballMagazine No. 5. Issue 6 is also briefly discussed. Check it out below. Special thanks to Marco Specialties.

To order Pinball Magazine No. 5 (or previous issues) visit www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

1 year later
#150 3 years ago

unigroove announced during this month’s podcast that current shipping cost for single issues is significantly cheaper than it has been.
http://pinball-magazine.com/shop/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 2,495.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

1,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coming-soon-pinball-magazine-no-5/page/3?hl=jsf24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.