You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ice blue opmax2.JPG
image-910.jpg
image-884.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have my Elvira and the Party Monsters fully LED'd but tastefully so, the GI is mostly a mix of cool and warm whites, with very few colored bulbs, the inserts are all matched properly etc. It doesn't look like a modern monster I guess is my point, tried to keep the LEDs feeling right with the period of the game.

The only thing that's bugged me on it is the blue bottle insert has a blue LED, the insert itself is pretty light in color and white blows it out. The blue is just too intense though, it's over saturated and sticks out as kind of fake with the whole feeling right with the period thing.

I was lucky enough to have Art from http://www.cometpinball.com send me a sample of his new ice blue bulbs, which are really what they sound like, a light blue, like a way colder cool white. I specifically wanted to test it under that blue insert. Happy to say it's way better, feels much more in line with how the game should look. As with all LEDs it's tough to photograph them right, but here's a before and after shot.

Before:
image-884.jpgimage-884.jpg

After:
image-910.jpgimage-910.jpg

#2 9 years ago

He has sent me a few cool things to try before so I hope this one is waiting on my doorstep with my latest order! I was really tempted to add it to the cart just to try it out.

#3 9 years ago

Now I'm curious to see how these might work as GI bulbs in the right spots. Normal blue LEDs are pretty terrible for GI, but these just might work on some games, I'm thinking about Tron for instance.

#4 9 years ago

Hi Aurich,

Thanks for the post....this will be back in stock in about 6 weeks..They sold out fast!

As an Op-Max, they are bright, but diffused, and I was floored when we put some in GI.
They can stand on their own, I think in a Demo Man, or Drac, and it plays off the other shade of Blue in the graphics.
But they also transition well, IMO, to Purple, Cyan, or even Regular Blue when mixed in GI.
The reception was so encouraging, I am testing these shortly in single SMD, and Twin SMD (Star Trek brightness)
to add to the full line.....The same with Sunlight...Tweaking the Kelvin so that a comfortable single white, is
good everywhere in GI...its between Warm and Natural.
Heres a lit picture.... simply needs to be seen!

ice blue opmax2.JPGice blue opmax2.JPG
#5 9 years ago

Wonder how they'd look in Xenon. Been thinking about going LED in her, but thought I would have to stick with incandescents in the GI. If not full GI, maybe do a mix with these in the dark corners.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Wonder how they'd look in Xenon. Been thinking about going LED in her, but thought I would have to stick with incandescents in the GI. Maybe do a mix with these in the dark corners.

I bet these would look a ton better than straight blue. Xenon would look neat with these.

#7 9 years ago

I'm going to experiment more when Art gets them back in stock, but my suspicion is that all the times when you thought "blue would look cool in the GI" and then discovered it actually looked terrible, well now it might actually work.

#8 9 years ago

I will be buying some Opmax in this color when they get back in stock.

#9 9 years ago

Yea I cant wait to get them for dm because the current blue is just to much in dm so I have cool white but this ice may be perfect

#10 9 years ago

Thinking about these on Seawitch too with new plastics and a John Greatwich playfield.

#11 9 years ago

Art showed me those op-max leds in person, amazing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 18.95
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 69.99
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 49.99
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 70.00
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comets-new-ice-blue-led-is-awesome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.