You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
glare doubling.jpg
IMGA0674.JPG
IMGA0672.JPG
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I just installed Comets DMD Glare Guard on my worst offender DE Star Wars and the glare is COMPLETELY gone. It did reduce the brightness a tad but to get rid of that glare it's so worth it. Comets packaging and instruction were complete and it was very easy to install. I took apart the speaker panel completely and cleaned everything and installed the Glare Guard directly onto the dmd the put it back together and it worked perfectly. I am VERY happy with the product and can't wait to get more of them. Sorry for the bad After picture.

Before,

IMGA0672.JPGIMGA0672.JPG

After.

IMGA0674.JPGIMGA0674.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Yep, these have been around for a good while, but it took forever for one or two guys to finally make them available at reasonable prices. The microlouver film is not cheap, so bulk purchasing is pretty much the only way to use it for this application.

#3 9 years ago

Yes they have been but leave it to Art to make it affordable.

#4 9 years ago

Nice Pictures Paul! Thank you for sharing!

Is it OK to use? They came out better then mine!

What we did here, and I am not the first, is make these smaller so you can just stick on front
in 15 seconds, and solve an important issue in viewing the top half of the game.
(It is also possible to install behind the panel)

Terry carries these as well at Pinball Life, and we drop as low as $13.95 each in quantity.

Neither getting rich on this, (others sell up to $50 each) I believe we share that this is a must have product for many games, and getting the cost down is the best way to see this help others.

Please try these out guys...you'll get hooked, and at these numbers, almost all games should be done....Its just that good!

Art

#5 9 years ago

I've always installed mine directly on the DMD glass. Obviously not an option with the LED DMDs, but the inside of the view window works best in that case IMO. These things are seriously exponentially better than the "bent plastic" thing, which is a real kludge.

#6 9 years ago

Do these affect spectators' views of the DMD?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Do these affect spectators' views of the DMD?

Only if they're 3 feet or 9 feet tall, for the most part.

#8 9 years ago

Is there any way to use these (or something else) to cut glare the other direction; from spotlights reflecting off the DMD?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nice Pictures Paul! Thank you for sharing!
Is it OK to use? They came out better then mine!
What we did here, and I am not the first, is make these smaller so you can just stick on front
in 15 seconds, and solve an important issue in viewing the top half of the game.
(It is also possible to install behind the panel)
Terry carries these as well at Pinball Life, and we drop as low as $13.95 each in quantity.
Neither getting rich on this, (others sell up to $50 each) I believe we share that this is a must have product for many games, and getting the cost down is the best way to see this help others.
Please try these out guys...you'll get hooked, and at these numbers, almost all games should be done....Its just that good!
Art

You bet Art and you can use what I wrote to if you like. I was going to put it on the outside but once I unhooked my dmd I saw how dirty everything was so I took everything apart and brought the plastic speaker panel to the laundry tub and washed it, the speaker grills and the clear dmd plastic. The whole things is nice and clean now. But I do want to replace the speakers with better ones. Are those 4 or 8ohm?

#10 9 years ago

Dont know for sure, but I think 4 ohm.....I am sure others will know.

Glad you are cleaning the games!!!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've always installed mine directly on the DMD glass. Obviously not an option with the LED DMDs, but the inside of the view window works best in that case IMO. These things are seriously exponentially better than the "bent plastic" thing, which is a real kludge.

Y r they better ? They both do the same thing ? One is just hidden and has a cleaner look however plastic dont dim the dmd and its transferable game to game and cost half? So what makes it better because I thought about purchasing a few next led order?

#12 9 years ago

I believe the speakers are 4ohm

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I stuck mine directly on my ColorDmd.
It cut the glare from this and also from LED strips I have at the back of the playfield.

#14 9 years ago

A must have product, Art rocks!

#15 9 years ago

Nice product. Why doesn't somebody make these for the translite?

#16 9 years ago

Somebody makes something like that for the tl but I can't remember who.

#17 9 years ago

They are available from Europe...The cost was still a bit too much for me to rationalize....I believe in the $75-$100 price range including shipping, as a general idea.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They are available from Europe...The cost was still a bit too much for me to rationalize....I believe in the $75-$100 price range including shipping, as a general idea.

Now this I would buy I hate glare from backbox lights

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

These things are seriously exponentially better than the "bent plastic" thing, which is a real kludge.

Oh, I don't know, I'm tall, I'm a little concerned that I'd see a much darker DMD than what these pictures show, and I don't care for that. I'll have to check out Paul's someday.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Only if they're 3 feet or 9 feet tall, for the most part.

so kids can't see the DMD displayed?

#21 9 years ago

Not really, those at different heights or standing angles, may not see glare or DMD reflection,
The filter only blocks views from the side past an angle.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Oh, I don't know, I'm tall, I'm a little concerned that I'd see a much darker DMD than what these pictures show, and I don't care for that. I'll have to check out Paul's someday.

Yeah Matt come out tonight (Sat) and bring your laptop and we can work on the OCD board in my NASCAR and see Avatar with the board also.

#23 9 years ago

I have used these things for years and won't own a game without them.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah Matt come out tonight (Sat) and bring your laptop and we can work on the OCD board in my Nascar and see Avatar with the board also.

Company party tonight, booked up.

#26 9 years ago

Say MP, do you have a link to the website?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Say MP, do you have a link to the website?

For the life of me I can't remember their name.

#29 9 years ago

Those aren't for the translite, to which this post was referring.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Those aren't for the translite, to which this post was referring.

"Comets DMD Glare Guard" seems to refer exactly to DMD glare, not the entire translite. What am I missing?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

"Comets DMD Glare Guard" seems to refer exactly to DMD glare, not the entire translite. What am I missing?

Two products have been mentioned. One, Art is selling for DMDs. The second is available in Europe to cover the ENTIRE translite thereby eliminating translite glare from the glass.

My question: is this glareguard film static cling, or is it a one-and-done install? If you can peel it off and apply to a new game, awesome. If not, I would definitely add this to my price of a pin if I sell one @ $75-$100 a pop (for the translite version).

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

My question: is this glareguard film static cling, or is it a one-and-done install? If you can peel it off and apply to a new game, awesome. If not, I would definitely add this to my price of a pin if I sell one @ $75-$100 a pop (for the translite version).

It's fairly rigid and not a cling plastic like the MET eye balls and is held in place by clear double stick tape. See my original post. And yes this is not the tl version.

#33 9 years ago

Great product. I have some of Arts and some of Terry's. Both work equally as well IME.

HOWEVER, I cannot stand having them installed on the display from the outside. I see a double image from a reflection somewhere. For me, they must be installed on the DMD glass to eliminate the "image ghosting" for lack of a better term.

A must have on all my machines!

#34 9 years ago

Interesting...I havent seen or heard this....will it photograph?

I wonder if the "gap" is causing this issue for you, which kinda makes sense, but dont know why myself or others havent seen?....hmmmmmm....

Certainly you have a solution.
I suppose before people install on the outside before removing adhesive strip protectors, might try a piece of scotch tape to see....

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wonder if the "gap" is causing this issue for you, which kinda makes sense, but dont know why myself or others havent seen?....hmmmmmm....

Same here Art. When I finely got one I put it on the plastic cover and right away I thought there was no way I was going to put this on the outside where it will get scratched up, so I taped it to the dmd glass. I didn't put it on the outside and try it so I couldn't say if I saw it too.

Sure works great taped to the dmd glass.

#36 9 years ago

I will see if I can get a photo of it for you. The ghosting image is faint, but I can see it. My wife never complains about it so it isn't THAT distracting. WAY better than the reflection in the PF glass...

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The post which you quoted was talking about the translite, asking for a link to the translite glare guards.

#38 9 years ago

The linked product page at PinballLife is titled "DMD No Glare Film For Stern Pinball Machines - Outer Mounting". I assume this can be used on other manufacturer pins as well that have the same size DMD?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Interesting...I havent seen or heard this....will it photograph?

This is why I would only recommend installing the glare guard on the DMD itself

The doubling effect is obnoxious when mounted to the outside:

glare doubling.jpgglare doubling.jpg

#40 9 years ago

Unless I am mistaken Vid, the issue was outer mounting on DMD exterior overlay panel vs directly on DMD.

I have them installed both ways, and see no glare or reflection. I thought the post was that if mounted
on the outside, instead of the inside, a post was made that they had some reflection still showing, when outside mounted.

Has anyone else seen this?

#41 9 years ago

I've seen "double vision" too. While not a Comet glare guard but it is 3M micro louver privacy film. It was on my JM and I put it inside the DMD window. I did not put it directly on the DMD - instead I put it on the inside directly to the clear plexiglass window. I then had double images so I put it directly to the DMD and no more double images. Now I never had any playfield glass glare either way - this is just about the DMD image itself.

#42 9 years ago

I'm selling these in Belgium / Europe.
Have one installed in my Metallica and put it on the speaker panel plastic. I don't see a double image. The gap makes a bit of a difference when looking from the side at the display, but when playing it's all the same.
There is a front and backside you have to take care of when installing, maybe this makes a difference ?

#43 9 years ago

There's also a protective film on BOTH sides that needs to be removed. One side comes off easily, but the other side is a bit more difficult to get off. I could see someone not realizing this. Leaving that on might contribute to the doubling effect if you're not putting the filter directly on the DMD. I put it right on the DMD anyway... these are so cheap and do such a great job that there's no reason not to permanently install them in all games.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Unless I am mistaken Vid, the issue was outer mounting on DMD exterior overlay panel vs directly on DMD.
I have them installed both ways, and see no glare or reflection. I thought the post was that if mounted
on the outside, instead of the inside, a post was made that they had some reflection still showing, when outside mounted.
Has anyone else seen this?

Art, the picture Vid posted is exactly what I am referring to although the amount of shift in the ghost image in Vid's picture is much greater than in my case. I have them friction fit in the opening on the outside of a SP and POTC.

#45 9 years ago

So, are you saying that you still see a reflection when placed in front of the panel, but none when right on the glass?

If so, and everything is done correctly, I am sorry I dont know why you are experiencing this.
If the solution was that placing this directly on DMD...that great, you find a way it works for you!

Ill certainly note that for others, although in most all cases, since I researched further, it works fine on the front.

If you have no solution, LMK, as others mention perhaps a step of film
removal, or reverse install?

Dont know, you are the first to share this.....

Art

#46 9 years ago

I think I figured it out Jon.

The ones you received , were larger in measurement then the new ones just in.
Those that you received, were only designed to install directly on the DMD.
If these were placed in front of the plastic, right in front, they wouldnt fit, leaving a gap, which could cause the difference you are describing.
These new ones fit inside the outside panel and fit flush, closing that gap, which could be why myself and others may not experience the same.

I sent a sent to someone with a POTC they used it for, and they installed on the outside with no issues.

So, I think thats the difference, and the answer.

The new ones can still be mounted directly to the DMD, although a little bit more work.

Art

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Y r they better ? They both do the same thing ? One is just hidden and has a cleaner look however plastic dont dim the dmd and its transferable game to game and cost half? So what makes it better because I thought about purchasing a few next led order?

Keeping in mind that my experience is with other sellers, NOT with Art/Comet's *specific* product...

You mean aside from the fact that the bentplastic are a cheaparsed kludge that fall out every time you need to remove the glass? I bought one, exactly one, and it's annoying as hell to grab the thing, set it aside, and put it back in place. Meanwhile, the 3m film is installed, stays where it's supposed to be, and doesn't get in the way of me working on my games. Oh, and it doesn't look absolutely ridiculous either.

They 3m film doesn't dim the DMD very much, if it's installed on the DMD or the inside of the plastic. My personal recommendation, due to the doubling effect shown above, is to install it directly on the DMD anytime it's possible, and second option on the inside of the speaker panel. I would not ever install it on the outside. Anytime I've ever bought these kits, from two different suppliers, they've come with double-sided 3m adhesive that's maybe 1-2mm thick and transparent. It's easily removable and you would just need a few small strips to place it on a new one.

#48 9 years ago

Still a better option than the glare glass. This is considerably cheaper and works 100% better for eliminating DMD glare.

#49 9 years ago

Where are these on your site Art?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comets-dmd-glare-guardwow?hl=litedpinballmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.