12 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17162426203713002661287141251717 (resized).jpg
#1 12 days ago

I'm trying to put LEDs in my Beat the Clock. All of the bulbs are wedge. I got through the GI and Backbox, but the inserts are giving me fits. The bulbs are almost impossible to get in the sockets, without tremendous force. What makes it tougher is that there isn't a lot of room to get your fingers in the tight insert places. Also, Comet uses a single wire on each side, compared to a doubled wire on the old incandescent bulbs, so even when I do manage to get the bulb in, most of the time I have to remove and fiddle with the wires to get them to make contact.

Any advice? I'm close to just giving up on this project. Not sure why Comet doesn't make them more close to the original size and with wire contacts that don't need to be adjusted so much.

Thanks!

#2 12 days ago
Quoted from foozle:

I'm trying to put LEDs in my Beat the Clock. All of the bulbs are wedge. I got through the GI and Backbox, but the inserts are giving me fits. The bulbs are almost impossible to get in the sockets, without tremendous force. What makes it tougher is that there isn't a lot of room to get your fingers in the tight insert places. Also, Comet uses a single wire on each side, compared to a doubled wire on the old incandescent bulbs, so even when I do manage to get the bulb in, most of the time I have to remove and fiddle with the wires to get them to make contact.
Any advice? I'm close to just giving up on this project. Not sure why Comet doesn't make them more close to the original size and with wire contacts that don't need to be adjusted so much.
Thanks!

Very well known issue with wedge base LEDs. It’s not just Comet brand. It’s all brands. Easy suggestion I’ve read on this forum. If you have a socket wrench set, find a socket that you can fit over the bulb and use that to push it into the lamp socket. It will save your fingers a lot of unnecessary pain. Off hand I’m not sure what size actually works for this. The other alternative to take a piece of sandpaper and sand the corners of the LED a little to sort of round them over but that’s a lot of work. I went around in circles about this with Comet a few years ago. They’re well aware of it but apparently still haven’t done anything about it.

#3 12 days ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Very well known issue with wedge base LEDs. It’s not just Comet brand. It’s all brands. Easy suggestion I’ve read on this forum. If you have a socket wrench set, find a socket that you can fit over the bulb and use that to push it into the lamp socket. It will save your fingers a lot of unnecessary pain. Off hand I’m not sure what size actually works for this. The other alternative to take a piece of sandpaper and sand the corners of the LED a little to sort of round them over but that’s a lot of work. I went around in circles about this with Comet a few years ago. They’re well aware of it but apparently still haven’t done anything about it.

That's a shame, but good to know it isn't just Comet! I started using a file to sharpen the corners a bit, but that's a lot of work, so I may try the socket trick. Hopefully it won't break the bulbs! Thanks for the advice!

#4 11 days ago

Uff, Bally 555 sockets are the WORST!
LEDS always need the leads pulled out and spaced before you put them in for every era.
All you csn do is bend the socket down and man power them in there. They'll loosen up.

#5 11 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

LEDS always need the leads pulled out and spaced before you put them in for every era.
All you csn do is bend the socket down and man power them in there. They'll loosen up.

It was a slog, but I got through it. I still have one bulb that isn't working. The old bulb works, but I tried a couple different LEDs and spreading the wires many different ways, but no luck. Frustrating, but I may just leave the incandescent in at this point!

Thanks for all the advices.

#6 6 days ago

With the way you constantly have to fiddle with the contact wires just to get them to light up, Wedge LEDs are absolutely INFURIATING.

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

All you can do is bend the socket down and man power them in there. They'll loosen up.

As mentioned here, get your LED bulb wires in good position before you attempt to insert the LED bulb.

I check the socket, and if the 'fingers' inside the socket seem bent away from the bulb, I take a tiny pick and bend them so that they will make better connection.

If the LED bulb doesn't light, I pull the LED bulb and bend the wire on the left side of the LED bulb to the right side, and bend the right side wire of the LED to the left side. Sometimes this makes better connection when I put it back in.

Keep in mind that you are doing something to your machine that the manufacturer never intended. OF COURSE the socket doesn't fit your LED. It was never made to.

In fact, unless carefully designed (like Comet) you'll have terrible trouble with intermittent contact in the socket because the base of the bulb won't be held tightly. The LED replacement bulb needs to be just a bit oversized to hold in the socket very tightly, and not vibrate out. Especially in 40-year-old sockets.

I'm a VERY strong advocate for Yoppsicle's under the playfield if you insist on modding your game with LED's. Just cut off those 40-year-old sockets and replace them with Yoppsicles.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-

#8 6 days ago

For wedge lamp in those bally sockets I usually clip the lamp base a bit as pictured. It's a hack I know so don't tell. Lol

17162426203713002661287141251717 (resized).jpg17162426203713002661287141251717 (resized).jpg
#9 6 days ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

For wedge lamp in those bally sockets I usually clip the lamp base a bit as pictured. It's a hack I know so don't tell. Lol
[quoted image]

This is the way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pelzer, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-wedge-led-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.