5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Parkshow30
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3054 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

The diode on the coil is probably fried again.

Sometimes I've tested the diode, and it tests good, so then I only replace the driver and pre-driver transistors, all is well, start a game and a minute later, the coil is locked on again.

So now, the flaky diode has killed the driver transistor again.

The moment the game is powered up, the coil locks on, even before the MPU boots.

I'll check the driver chip 7402 and make sure it's not cooked.

The fix usually is to, all at once, replace the Diode on the coil 4004, the Pre-driver and Driver transistor.

-

A bad (or missing) diode will kill your transistor instantly.

Sometimes a flaky diode will test good, but the first vibration from the coil being triggered will make it momentarily go open, killing the transistor.

Make sure the new diode's band faces the red wires.

#7 5 years ago

In a busy schematic, up arrows are often shortcuts to power, down arrows are often shortcuts to ground

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

Transistors test good. Same exact readings for the other transistors that I know are working

I hear ya, but our meters can't always test a transistor, they are only 90% right.

All at the same time, replace the coil diode 4004, the pre-driver 4401 and tip102 transistors. Do NOT apply power until all 3 items are replaced, or one will kill the other and you will keep feeding the cycle.

Put the board back in with new transistors (even if they old test good), put new diode on coil, band facing red wires(even if old diode tests good).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-right-kicker-locking-on?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.