3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    MFG_APTD3216[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160218_164046_(resized).jpg

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago

Thanks Art.

I can't wait.

Oh I know, I'm just an idea man as you well know.

On the led surface (where the light comes out) if that had a small domed lens on it that would spread the light out evenly in all directions.

#102 3 years ago

In a Superflux Piranha, we are working with a new bubble magnifying lens in that its about 20% brighter.

In a regular 1 SMD, The shortest domes, or the tallest do show a difference, but barely seen when in a game.
    So Its still a lens cap, that you are thinking of, but more like what have as 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm?
    So a Surface diode with a shorter cap?

Is there a benefit that you are thinking of, that would be something that is needed?

#103 3 years ago

The lens would be real small and be where the light comes out of the chip, it would be under the regular large dome cap. Video cameras came out with it a while ago where each pixel had a tiny dome lens on it which increased the light gathering ability of each pixel. It would be the same principal but instead of light gathering it would be light spreading.

#105 3 years ago

Yup or maybe with a clear lens, thanks Zitt.

#106 3 years ago

not relevant now

#107 3 years ago

Thanks John,

Yes, thats the lens often used on Piranhas, which can benefit from being brighter.
    It is part of the changes we are working on.

I havent seen them used for commercial diodes, as its about the same to just get bigger diodes, and
    it loses the side light a bit. So perhaps if your thoughts are to add this, then a dome, for a brighter product,
    I would imagine it could be done.
    If not commercially molded yet in market, the molds need to be made...so we are back to $10K plus to add,
    Im not sure by the time its done, that it would be any brighter than a 1 Watt COB or Op-Max.

I have a collection of inverted cones on a Cree, samples that are used in higher end Chinese Military Flashlights...
    (these were costing me around $2.00 each landed.)

Those lens, might be a similar output, but still unsure of the market demand for the cost of having it ready and in stock.

The Piranhas benefit greatly.

Where do you see the use or need?

#108 3 years ago

Art - not sure if the question is directed to Paul or Me. I'm guessing Paul; since I don't really have the full picture.

I went back and read what Paul wrote... If I understand it he's asking for color matching "lenses" to the LED light wavelength.
    I see the value of such a product; but wonder out-loud how "necessary" it is.

Some colors are a must... Blues... well; they need a ICE blue LED behind the Blue lens... as a actual ?470nM? Blue LED just a real horrible job of lighting the lenses properly. Purples probably need a 430nM LED behind them.

Yellows and Greens probably are fine with just white LEDs behind them. IDK.
    I'd have to see the two "products" side-by-side ... probably IRL before I could see the benefit of matching wavelengths to dome colors.

Should be easy enough to test... given the readily available SMT packages with round dome lenses.

#109 3 years ago

I thought there were 2 different questions.

The first is more colored lens bulbs. I do get requests for these, almost always for signs, instead of using condoms,
    as a white bulb when unlit, is less attractive or not as attractive as an LED and Condom.
    I also thought there might be uses in GI and inserts, but unless we are darkening further, and only purple was off and we fixed that with Purple Passion, so it must be GI as well.

So what happened when I did Purple is I received blue in a couple styles, and I think one red.
    As we mixed these colored tops with different diodes, we saw many differences that were unexpected.
    All related to the Saturation? and thickness at the tip.
    So we made different hues, different tip thickness, full faceted, and interior stippled. We got lucky after 7 protos 9 months or 9 protos, 7 months, I forget that right now. But each failure had the colors different at the tip, they "lightened". As the diodes were too bright for the cap, and a lower brightness, hardly look lit.
    So lit and visible, was an issue.

At this time, I am a few weeks away from a colored lens on a new color I hope to have.
    If the colored lens, the same as Purple works for this color, and I can order a lower #, then Id hope Id do other colors.

The second was I thought another bulb with a closer lens inside another lens, and one closer to the diode, which you shared
    the pic of. (Thank You).
    So, I was trying to understand that even with your example, a double like in a 2 LED, or other, (cone shape), what the benefit/use/need might be.
    My apologies if Im not getting it, or am getting this wrong, so we will wait for Paul.

#110 3 years ago

Art, I had a bulb question, on my Rocky and Bullwinkle Boris button and start button, they use a 555 wedge. I haven't found an LED that would work in there because of the shoulder on the bulb, it can't go into the button. An led that would work in those applications would be awesome.

#111 3 years ago

Sure, A mini bulb that Cointaker carries is small enough, to my knowledge to fit.

Im sorry, I havent stocked that yet.

We have some t5...a smaller base like used in creature ramp lights, if its a 555, that may work.
    We are awaiting new stock.

If you dont find one there, Id be happy to have you test one on me to see, if you can wait.
    Just mention on an order in a couple weeks when stock arrives...

#112 3 years ago

Art,
    You are certainly an asset to the pinball community and I especially appreciate the fact that we were able to work together to promote your LEDs on my Youtube channel. Your health is primary and it's about damn time you took a break! I wish you all the best and I really hope someone as capable as you are can pull off taking over the company.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Art, I had a bulb question, on my Rocky and Bullwinkle Boris button and start button, they use a 555 wedge. I haven't found an LED that would work in there because of the shoulder on the bulb, it can't go into the button. An led that would work in those applications would be awesome.

Did you miss the part where Art was saying he needed to take a break from all this and is selling the company?? And you're gonna ask a LED question in his thread?? Art, for petes sake turn off Pinside for a few weeks for your heart!

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from enjoyvelvet:

Art, for petes sake turn off Pinside for a few weeks for your heart!

He can't.....he's addicted like the rest of us.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

He can't.....he's addicted like the rest of us.

I should, but Pauls right....I eat, sleep, and dream Pinball!!!
    A disease!

But hopefully, I can get the time back....I am applying for some clinical stem trials overseas.
    (for my heart, no stem cell treatment for the pinball disease!!! )

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I should, but Pauls right....I eat, sleep, and dream Pinball!!!
    A disease!
    But hopefully, I can get the time back....I am applying for some clinical stem trials overseas.
    (for my heart, no stem cell treatment for the pinball disease!!! )

Glad to see I'm not the only one who breaths pinball. We all have the bug for sure. Art just helps us feed it!

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who breaths pinball. We all have the bug for sure. Art just helps us feed it!

Yup

#118 3 years ago

Paul, you have no room to talk! You are feeding my habit to here

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

Paul, you have no room to talk! You are feeding my habit to here

Guilty as charged. I do it to myself too.....turning my Pro's into Promium's. Got mods for my GB Pro which I don't even have yet.

#120 3 years ago

Yes, its all Pauls fault.....Public Credit do here....People have been asking me where do I get some of my ideas....
    Well Paul is one of them!!! Your fault, Paul!...

Answer the Bulb Question from last night Paul! Unless its a secret...Where do you so the bulb you wanted going....?

#121 3 years ago

Just a thought,i read here somewhere that it's possible that Pinball Life,is a possible to purchase??Well,i met the guy(no names) that owns Pinball life,and Bayareaamusements! As we all know both moved to Reno,Nevada cause thats where he(no names) moved! He is very motivated by money! I think pinball is just his way of doing it! Bad vibes! Bad vibes!

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, its all Pauls fault.....Public Credit do here....People have been asking me where do I get some of my ideas....
    Well Paul is one of them!!! Your fault, Paul!...

I'm goooood aren't I.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Answer the Bulb Question from last night Paul! Unless its a secret...Where do you so the bulb you wanted going....?

Well I have 4 games with signs, BF, Mustang, Getaway and Met that I was thinking about how they would look with the colored bulb caps. Any game really that has a sign where the bulb sticks out of really. Those white caps really bug me. They might look good behind the TL also but I don't know.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Just a thought,i read here somewhere that it's possible that Pinball Life,is a possible to purchase??Well,i met the guy(no names) that owns Pinball life,and Bayareaamusements! As we all know both moved to Reno,Nevada cause thats where he(no names) moved! He is very motivated by money! I think pinball is just his way of doing it! Bad vibes! Bad vibes!

Not sure the purpose of your post here,but you are confusing Bay Area Amusements with Pinball Life. Pinball Life is run by Terry and is located at 11930 Oak Creek Parkway Huntley, IL 60142. The address is listed on the top of their website.

IMO Terry is one of the best dudes in pinball. Same goes with Art at coment.

Anyways, your post seems odd for this cometpinball company sale thread

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Planetary Pinball does not equal Pinball Life, sir. You've got your thinks all screwed up.

Terry (at the actual Pinball Life) is awesome.

#125 3 years ago

This post raises a good point. A lot of the pinball community offering services and advice are getting up in age, having health problems. The best thing these people can do is to try and pass on their knowledge/skills to the younger generation. Thank you for helping pass the torch!

#126 3 years ago

Thanks so much for your help in the past Art. Wishing you a speedy recovery and plenty of more pinball in your future!

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sure, A mini bulb that Cointaker carries is small enough, to my knowledge to fit.
    Im sorry, I havent stocked that yet.
    We have some t5...a smaller base like used in creature ramp lights, if its a 555, that may work.
    We are awaiting new stock.
    If you dont find one there, Id be happy to have you test one on me to see, if you can wait.
    Just mention on an order in a couple weeks when stock arrives...

Art, thanks for the info, i'll check them out. Also probably shouldn't have asked a bulb question in this thread. Sorry. Again you are truly an asset that will be impossible to replace. Good luck with the sale.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

you are truly an asset that will be impossible to replace.

so true...

#129 3 years ago

Not dead yet!!! Guys, you are going to have to put up with "More" of me, when this all settles....

Oh...the stories I have....and I can get pissed off too then !!!

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Art, thanks for the info, i'll check them out. Also probably shouldn't have asked a bulb question in this thread. Sorry. Again you are truly an asset that will be impossible to replace. Good luck with the sale.

Piece of cake!! My pleasure.....I am always happy to help!! Lloyd, LTG, is my idol!!!

#131 3 years ago

Are you making it to Allentown or Pintastic?

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The second was I thought another bulb with a closer lens inside another lens, and one closer to the diode, which you shared
    the pic of. (Thank You).
    So, I was trying to understand that even with your example, a double like in a 2 LED, or other, (cone shape), what the benefit/use/need might be.

I think the benefit to the round domes under your lenses is simply light distribution.
    I'd think you'd want to work to minimizing hot spots in the lense... and maybe have a light frosting in the final lense to help with applications where you want general light emition rather than spot lite work. Nearly every LED product today is better at spot lights than "incandescent" radiating in every direction. Even Flex bulbs admit this... since they have a flex shaft to direct the light in a non-right angle to the socket.

If I were designing a frosted lense; i'd do away with the milk color lense; and make it more translucent... with a "sand blasted" finish on the inside to help with hotspots.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Are you making it to Allentown or Pintastic?

I still hope to make it to Pintastic, I still dont have clearance medically to fly.....
    But boy if I get there....watch out!!

John, I agree with you, Ive tried to get the sandblasting, as an actual step in production.
    For whatever reason...money likely.....they wont do sandblasting without a much larger purchase.

Truly the best way to go. You have such great vision!

As you know with your work, getting overseas to do exactly whats needed, without even larger quantities,
    or with much higher per unit costs are a challenge.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

I think here its good to share, they all have never seen a pinball machine in China, so our "wants and needs" are foreign to the
    mindset, of what we want, and our needs can be specific.

We even designed threaded interchangeable lens.

Less inventory, but an additional $.10 a bulb.

In a one on one poll, when I was working on this, everyone said "cool, great idea" but also, "Id rather just buy what I know[frosted],
    and save the $.10 a bulb.

Retooling to create this was also around 10K, but if no one wanted them.....

Perhaps be it Paul or Yourself, or anyone, if you see or want a bulb or product, just think if there is enough demand and it solves a problem......Im always very grateful for any input, but please accept my apologies in me being an ass, if I either question,if I prefer to get a GB pin, instead of another pile of bulbs, with the same funds.

#134 3 years ago

Threaded lenses sound like a fascinating idea.

If you really wanted to, it sounds like you would only have to make a handful of bases for the different LED/SMD types, and then offer all sorts of different/crazy lenses separately.

Game vibration would come into play, though, so maybe include a small tube of epoxy or something so folks can glue the lens securely when they're ready.

1 week later
    #135 3 years ago

Time for an update.

Its hard to believe it has been only 2 weeks since I posted this Ad.
    Thank you for the overwhelming response in both well wishes, and in interest.

To share an update, first if you dont mind on health. As expected, I am a number to be moved through the
    system, and have to be my own advocate, further supporting my need for time to do so.
    I am working on Supplement treatments and the possibility of Stem Cell Treatment overseas.

On the business front, I cant even remember the blur of conversations I have had, and my medication does not make it any easier.
    The response became an avalanche, and I lost footing and got buried.

So the update, for all those who have asked is pretty much a bit of patience.

What I did was pretty much just start an order of interest based on email responses.....first come, first served.
    I went over my tax situation, and arrived at the lowest number, and the same for everyone.
    We all hate an add for a game, that turns into an auction, and I did not want people "bidding up" for position.

So in this next week, those that have heard from me with your position, you will be receiving an email from me this week confirming such, and respectfully asking if you for your patience, as each buyer does need a week or two, to put everything together to go forward. Fortunately, a lot of paperwork has now been completed, and is an easier arrangement.

If you have not heard from me, and still have interest, simply PM me and share, "Put me on the List", and Ill be happy to do so.

My apologies if anyone has been offended by this......I sold lots of things and property, but never a business.
    My physical limitations dont help either. I hope youll find this the fairest way I could think of, and hang in there with me
    as we find a new Captain for this ship.

Much appreciate your understanding, support, and patience.

Art

#136 3 years ago

I can't imagine what your going through with all this. I'm on your side buddy.

#137 3 years ago

Oh Paul, you KNOW you should be steering this boat! Since Britain wont be using it, I have been smiling all week at Boaty McBoatFace! Maybe I should name this ship just that!

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh Paul, you KNOW you should be steering this boat! Since Britain wont be using it, I have been smiling all week at Boaty McBoatFace! Maybe I should name this ship just that!

#139 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#140 3 years ago

A bump for todays crowd.....

#142 3 years ago

and a supporting bumpety bump

#143 3 years ago

Love the Boaty McBoatface. I've shown all my kids.

Is comet open for business now? I was looking to make an order.

Chris

#144 3 years ago

Hi Chris.....

Open, Doing great, Lots of new Products in the Works!

Art

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Gold Wings Repro Ramp Out of stock
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 179.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.95
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside