New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 157490)

Comet Pinball.com Business for Sale ** UPDATES 5-2 **

By OLDPINGUY

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    MFG_APTD3216[1]_(resized).jpg
    20160218_164046_(resized).jpg

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Greetings Fellow Pinsiders!

I wanted to create a separate thread regarding my decision
    to offer Comet Pinball LEDs for sale.

Link to Ad:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/33473

First, whats important to me and everyone.

There will be no interruptions or changes in any major way
    to the Company, its Service, and the Growth of New Products,
    Everything will continue as Normal.

What will happen, is a bit less of me, and maybe thats a Good Thing!
    So some email response time changes is likely the largest concern.

In short, My heart is pretty messed up.
    Doctors have been on the fence regarding a 3rd Surgery, and the amount of medication Im on makes everyday a bit of a challenge.
    My goal is to step back, do some rehabilitation, and put the time I need
    into healing and getting rest.

So, much like listing a Pinball Machine for sale, I've listed the Company!

Im here in this thread to answer questions that I can, or wish to,
    in an effort to be transparent. Many will require a non disclosure, and please don't post
    this private information, but Ill do my best.

Its a very interesting business, and the best thing about it has been Pinside, and you Guys!
    (...well, and my games, those that I have done, kick ass in lighting!)

The business is now Turnkey, with so much of the mindless hours
    of website, design, and controls already put in place.

For really anyone that might have the Capital, its both a successful business to run as investment, or from the home for full income.

There should be no worries about learning the business, or relocating, and an opportunity
    for the Independence one has always looked for.

I have been earning my way in life now for 44 years, and a great deal of knowledge comes with
    this opportunity.

I hope my baby, my creation in this, can find a new home!

Thank you all for entertaining this possibility!

Arthur Haber

Dont Forget our friend, Matt at Titan Pinball is also available, and what a Great Pair together!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-titan-pinball-llc

5/2/16

Time for an update.

Its hard to believe it has been only 2 weeks since I posted this Ad.
    Thank you for the overwhelming response in both well wishes, and in interest.

To share an update, first if you dont mind on health. As expected, I am a number to be moved through the
    system, and have to be my own advocate, further supporting my need for time to do so.
    I am working on Supplement treatments and the possibility of Stem Cell Treatment overseas.

On the business front, I cant even remember the blur of conversations I have had, and my medication does not make it any easier.
    The response became an avalanche, and I lost footing and got buried.

So the update, for all those who have asked is pretty much a bit of patience.

What I did was pretty much just start an order of interest based on email responses.....first come, first served.
    I went over my tax situation, and arrived at the lowest number, and the same for everyone.
    We all hate an add for a game, that turns into an auction, and I did not want people "bidding up" for position.

So in this next week, those that have heard from me with your position, you will be receiving an email from me this week confirming such, and respectfully asking if you for your patience, as each buyer does need a week or two, to put everything together to go forward. Fortunately, a lot of paperwork has now been completed, and is an easier arrangement.

If you have not heard from me, and still have interest, simply PM me and share, "Put me on the List", and Ill be happy to do so.

My apologies if anyone has been offended by this......I sold lots of things and property, but never a business.
    My physical limitations dont help either. I hope youll find this the fairest way I could think of, and hang in there with me
    as we find a new Captain for this ship.

Much appreciate your understanding, support, and patience.

Art

#2 4 years ago

Glws!

#3 4 years ago

Wow Art, good luck with the sale, and rest up, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Eric R.

#4 4 years ago

Art you are a great tribute to small business and to this hobby. You have always taken the time to give me advice or feedback and I am just one of your many customers. You will be missed dearly!

#5 4 years ago

Oh, youll still have me...only Worse! I Plan to fill Kaneda's Shoes in my retirement!

#6 4 years ago

What?! NOOOO. Say it isnt so! Would you stay on as a consultant?

#7 4 years ago

Fuuuuuuu.... if Comet and Titan get sold, I'm bailing on pinball. Seriously. I would rather not own machines than go back to using Cointaker LEDs and standard rubber!

#8 4 years ago

Art, the only thing that would be worse than losing comet leds would be losing a good guy like you. Take care of yourself. I wish I had the funds to carry on for you.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh, youll still have me...only Worse! I Plan to fill Kaneda's Shoes in my retirement!

Best wishes to you. And your companies future !

LTG : )

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

What?! NOOOO. Say it isnt so! Would you stay on as a consultant?

Only if one knows Im medicated, and at a Bar on the Beach when I "Consult"

Quoted from Frax:

Fuuuuuuu.... if Comet and Titan get sold, I'm bailing on pinball. Seriously. I would rather not own machines than go back to using Cointaker LEDs and standard rubber!

Not going anywhere, nor is Matt, we have been chatting about backup plans, in case we dont find buyers.

Either way, just see it as Business as Normal, because that wont change, and both of us respectfully, are happy to give our time.

#11 4 years ago

Feel better Art.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh Art.. are you going to go on ranting podcasts now? Thanks for all you have done, for the hobby and me personally, really appreciate it all.. I just ordered off your site an hour ago in fact..

Steve

#13 4 years ago

Sad news ... Your the best art !
    I'm sure your baby will wind up in good hands !

All the best to you!

#14 4 years ago

All the best Art, you have developed some very cool products (Matrix) as well as many other products and done the hard yards for someone to come in and make a smooth transition to a very good business. I know you have helped me heaps and if in the US I would seriously consider this.

All the best Art with the Sale and hope it happens soon for you and then you can concentrate of getting better and enjoy life more.

And good luck to Matt at Titan as well.

#15 4 years ago

I'm glad. I really seriously would consider quitting the hobby. These two product lines make that much of a difference IMO. If we had capital, my wife would be totally in with buying Comet, and probably Titan, but alas...we are not rich.

#16 4 years ago

Comet has lit up many of my games as well as those of my customers'.

#17 4 years ago

Get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 4 years ago

Art take care of yourself and get well, your health is most important. Good luck and prayers your way.

#19 4 years ago

Nobody has better, more innovative products and nobody has better service. Anyone interested should know they are getting into business with someone with an A++ reputation that is well-deserved. Good luck Art with the business and of course your health!

#20 4 years ago

Seconding all said here! Gws and GLWS !!!

#21 4 years ago

Art has really developed Comet into a respected brand with innovative products, I really hope someone can step in and continue to do the same! Best of luck to Art, health and family are #1.

#22 4 years ago

Wow lots of big news on two great companies today - Comet and Titan. GLWTS!

#23 4 years ago

Awww, dammit! I have a hard enough time convincing my wife to let me buy new machines... Now this! Time to put my convincing pants on.

I wish you better health soon, Art!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What if they both got absorbed by pinball life, though? (Is Titan even on the block? Or are you just doomsday scenario-Ing?)

Edit: holy crap. Just saw the Titan thread. What a wacky day! Somebody convince terry, LOL

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

i'd rather not own machines if I had to put Titan or superbands on my flippers.

Titans as rings seem to be ok, but do put more spin on the ball than you would get with white rubber, but the amount of change isn't as drastic as flipper rubbers are to normal red rubber.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

What if they both got absorbed by pinball life, though? (Is Titan even on the block? Or are you just doomsday scenario-Ing?)

Titan is on the block too.

Titan could go to Pinball Life...it would be a good fit and far better than super bands for them, IMO.

As far as LEDs go though...I'd really personally prefer it stay outside of the distributor network's hands. I've never been happy with the Ablaze line, other than pricewise, and I did use them early on a few times. I don't think that anyone that's not doing this as the majority part of a dedicated business model is going to innovate and bring in new products the way that Art does. I don't doubt, at all, that Terry could take the existing business and maintain it as-is.

#27 4 years ago

actually pinball life has their own version of bands, that is competition to titan and superbands. was showcased at MGC.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually pinball life has their own version of bands, that is competition to titan and superbands. was showcased at MGC.

Yeah, but he hasn't expanded to the full ring set though. PBL's silicone mix/feel is a bit different than Titan, but he'd have a full mold set.

#29 4 years ago

that's true, i think the flipper bands are a test run before they expand. They are different than both titan and superbands, but closer to titans than anything else. (according to Terry)

#30 4 years ago

All the best Art.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, but he hasn't expanded to the full ring set though. PBL's silicone mix/feel is a bit different than Titan, but he'd have a full mold set.

I can't tell the difference between Titan silicone and PBL perfect play flipper bands. Seem to be pretty identical in feel and play.

#32 4 years ago

Good luck to you and Matt.

#33 4 years ago

Sorry to hear about the health problems Art. You have my best wishes and glws.

#34 4 years ago

Thank you all for the well wishes!.....Id love to be the guy that gets cured!
    My brother had stage 4 cancer, with single digit survival.
    Well, we got lucky, found a clinical genetic trial and today he is Cancer Free!

So Ill keep looking and researching.....good stuff in South Korea and Japan, but I cant get into those.

No worries...Retirements a Good Thing!

Oh one more Perk about being in the business, All the shows you can go to are a Must, and a business expense, and you Must buy new pins and old to keep up with R&D!!

Really been a great way to "must have for business" excuse for my wife!

#35 4 years ago

We love you buddy...

#36 4 years ago

It would be a great little business to run

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

It would be a great little business to run

totally agree but really has to be in the US purely for postage reasons

#38 4 years ago

10k by Christmas?

#39 4 years ago

Sorry to read this. Best of luck with your health and the sale.

#40 4 years ago

This had to be a tough decision to make, but it's the right one. Your health is paramount and Comet Pinball would not be the same without you. Good luck with everything, especially your health.

#41 4 years ago

Good for you for prioritizing yourself and your health. I wish you luck and good health in the future.

#42 4 years ago

Get well and best wishes!!! Sure hope to have you in the hobby for a long time to come!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you all for the well wishes!.....Id love to be the guy that gets cured!
    My brother had stage 4 cancer, with single digit survival.
    Well, we got lucky, found a clinical genetic trial and today he is Cancer Free!
    So Ill keep looking and researching.....good stuff in South Korea and Japan, but I cant get into those.
    No worries...Retirements a Good Thing!
    Oh one more Perk about being in the business, All the shows you can go to are a Must, and a business expense, and you Must buy new pins and old to keep up with R&D!!
    Really been a great way to "must have for business" excuse for my wife!

Hey Art, sorry to hear this and glwts. Please check out phoenixtears.ca if you haven't already. And any pinsider if you have someone suffering with any condition please check it out. I know a half dozen survivors of stage 4 personally as well as having a uncle who has lived with Parkinsons for 15+ years now without pharmaceutical aid because of Rick Simpson. The Stanley brothers in Colorado are doing some amazing work as well with cbd's.

[moderator comment: added correct link so folks won't visit the incorrect one]

#44 4 years ago

Oh Art, we've talked about it enough and it's only getting worse now and I was dreading this day. I kept hoping and hoping the doctors would come up with something so you could keep doing what you love but I understand it's time for you to step back and quit putting all that stress on yourself that is really no good for you. But ya know, I really can't see you "taking it easy", I think you'd loose your mind and the boredom would be the thing that would kill you. I wish you every bit of luck there is in the world cuz your one of the good guys and for once I'd like to see a good guy win. Talk to you soon my friend.

#45 4 years ago

Sorry to hear this Art. Best wishes for a long future.

#46 4 years ago

Damn, really sorry to hear this and i wish you the best with your health. Love Comet leds. Unique bulbs and a great selection that i hope ends up in good hands.

#47 4 years ago

Best of luck with your health, Art. Nothing is more important.
    Comets are all I use, so hopefully your business finds a great new owner with all the passion you brought to it.

#48 4 years ago

Thank you, All. truly.

I plan on sitting still for a little while.
    We have a small place near the beach by Sarasota that ill be spending more time.
    Bringing some pins down.... but Ill get to play more, and walking the beach is a joy.
    Youre right. Paul....there is always, "next". Ive been longing to have time to volunteer for others,
    maybe back to school, or more travel. I have a couple of book offers, but that scares me,
    Not dead yet, but definitely aware of the clock, and the time needed to at least try to reverse the disease.

The "bad" part might be me posting more! HA!

Quoted from str8cash:

Please check out [incorrect link removed]

Im sorry, there doesnt seem to be a working site.

#49 4 years ago

Wow, hard to imagine comet without Art

Art, I hope you get well and the docs are able to fix you up so you can keep doing what you love. You are certainly one of the bright lights in the pinball community

Best wishes for what happens next and if it comes to it, for whomever is able to take on the reigns and fill some mighty fine shoes.

#50 4 years ago

Art I hope you get well soon......if me and katie come to Orlando again this year we will stop by again and have that dinner that we couldn't have last time. I really would love to take over comet but have more than enough on my plate from a newly started business this year. I really hope whomever takes the business over can treat it with the same passion and love that you have over the years. Comet is my favorite company and only led supplier I have ever used bc of the amazing service and best prices in the business. Take care buddy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 239.00
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 208.87
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside