Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a Comet that I have replaced all the transistors for the solenoids and it works great for awhile but eventually the left pop bumper sticks. And then stays stuck even when turning off then on. I’ve had to replace the transistor Q80 a few times now and even thought I found the issue when I tested Q81 pre-transistor and it was bad too, but the problem persists. I have no clue where to go from here, so I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot the issue from here. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here’s a video of what it’s doing (you can skip to the middle):

#2 2 years ago

First take a really good look at that left pop that’s sticking. Make super sure that it’s put together right with no parts that could bind or pinch. Check the switch adjustments for that pop, too. Make sure everything opens and closes as it should through the range of motion of the pop. Check the diode. If that’s all good, look really closely at the wiring and see if you can find a short, especially something that might be shorting due to movement. If you can’t find anything at the left pop, follow the wires from that pop looking for potential shorts for other things in that row/column on the switch matrix.

Sorry if you covered any of all of this in your video. I couldn’t watch it with sound because it’s the middle of the night and I don’t want to wake others in my house!

#3 2 years ago

The diode on the coil is good. The adjustments are good. Nothing is touching on the leafs. It sounds like I’m gonna have to pull apart the pop bumper and take a closer look at it at this point.

Also, I have a feeling if I hit any of the other pops or slingshots they would do the same and also stick, but I’m not 100% sure, so I guess I should disconnect the left pop and see if the others do the same. It acts like it might be drawing too much current when they engage, but I’m assume that could also be from a short as well?

The upper pop bumpers is missing a resistor, but I don’t think that affects this issue, but I could be wrong?

#4 2 years ago

The fact that you left pop doesn’t always fire makes me suspicious that your spoon and switch stack are not set up quite right. You need to look under that pop and check it out. I would raise the playfield and activate the pop while watching beneath. Maybe take a slow motion video from beneath to see what state the pop and its switches are in when it locks on. Make sure the switch is open again after the pop fires.

#5 2 years ago

Also noticed on your video that when you locked the pop on, you depressed the pop skirt with two fingers, thereby putting extra an unrealistic pressure on the spoon and switch. Stick with one finger flicks at the very edge of the skirt for your pop tests, or better yet roll a ball at it for a more valid test. You want to make sure you are not causing the issue with long, hard presses that could also cause something to bind and make the pop lock on. Think of it this way: the ball activates the switch for a split second and gets immediately out of the way as it is rejected by the ring. Your finger is in there much longer and does not get out of the way as fast and can push things out of place, potentially causing the pop to bind and lock.

#6 2 years ago

You’re right. Sometimes it took a few times to get it to activate. Hence why I started pushing on it, but I’m fairly certain that isn’t the issue. Im going to try and see if the other solenoids do the same. If not, I’ll pull it and have a closer look. I’m pretty sure they all will lock.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

You’re right. Sometimes it took a few times to get it to activate. Hence why I started pushing on it, but I’m fairly certain that isn’t the issue. Im going to try and see if the other solenoids do the same. If not, I’ll pull it and have a closer look. I’m pretty sure they all will lock.

Special solenoids on system 9 will stay on as long as they are activated they are not one shot. There is a resistor capacitor network on each activation switch to provide a minimum pulse.

#8 2 years ago

If you can’t get it to trigger with a freely rolling ball, the pop isn’t put together or adjusted right. Use a freely rolling ball for your tests.

#9 2 years ago

I am missing a resistor on the upper pop bumper, but not the left that is locking, so I didn’t think that could cause this. I’m assuming I need to check all the capacitors and resistors now then? And add one where one is missing.

Quoted from slochar:

Special solenoids on system 9 will stay on as long as they are activated they are not one shot. There is a resistor capacitor network on each activation switch to provide a minimum pulse.

#10 2 years ago

The purpose of the resistor/cap is to take a short pulse and make it a known length, so that the solenoid can pop fully.

You really should just replace all the resistors and caps on this era special solenoids - they're almost 40 years old if original.

Any of the components in the special solenoid system can be stressed - the circuit works by putting ground (on the daisy-chained side of the switches closer to the PF in the case of pops, or the 2 switches that stick through the PF for the slings) to the other leaf of the switch, which goes back to a couple logic chips on the mpu board to drive the solenoids. Any passives in that circuit should be checked and possibly replaced. The connector pins should be resoldered or replaced that provide the ground signal back to the chips that fire it.

This firing path is completely separate from the secondary switches that provide a signal in the normal switch matrix that's used for scoring.

A logic probe is helpful in that you can probe inputs and outputs on the chips and see where the signal is locking on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-pinball-machine-pop-bumper-sticking-and-blowing-transistors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.