IMG_2083_(resized).jpg
IMG_3918_(resized).jpg
IMG_1831_(resized).jpg
IMG_1826_(resized).jpg
IMG_1692_(resized).jpg
IMG_1661_(resized).jpg
IMG_4751_(resized).jpg
DSC_0066_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Thank, You!

Looks Great!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The Fluted Dome LED's are quite simply the best on the market

Thanks Hazoff, and all the kind words shared by everyone!

Ill take a moment to vent and be a salesman here......

I really love these bulbs too!

For DMD Games, and/or a desire for a bright GI, I share and use Twin 2835 in Frosted, or In the Fluted mentioned, or even Op-Max mixed.

The Lens on the Fluted Dome is quite special now.
We have done several revisions.
First you have the same diodes, everyone is now familiar with, Twin 2835, that are used in the GI of most of
last dozen games, I guess from Stern.
These are in Clear, and likely are a bit to bright for older games in clear, as the socket positions, and screening of plastics werent designed for "this bright". So the Answer is frosted Twin 2835 for GI, as the
Best Seller these days from us. (In Sunlight White). I recommend these, and they are in our Master Kit, as the safest Bulb, for the Brightest look.

However, The Fluted Domes really Rock, as Hazoff is seeing with his eyes.
First, you have the same Twin 2835 Diodes, Then you get the nice shape of a Bullet, with the sides fluted!
This creates a Star Burst Pattern, where frosted is a soft fuzzy ball. The Rays of the Star Burst extend much further on the playfield, and creates an interesting, yet stunning lighting on the Playfield!
The Lens itself has been revised several times, to create a textured diffusion on the inside tip of the bulb.
This helps with diffusion, and helped dial back any spotting or Haloing.
This can still happen in rare cases, mostly thin screened or repro plastics.

Anyway, thanks for sharing these again...certainly worth a look to make a game a bit different.

Thank you all for allowing me to share my visions and dreams in lighting, and using them in your games!

A well lit game...that means only whats right for you.....is a joy!

as a small reminder, if you have a game you may have put LEDs in 3 or 4 years ago, just changing a few bulbs, adding some new color, ICE BLUE, color changing, an LED strip somewhere, will have you look at the game differently! I find I start playing that old favorite again with renewed passion, with a few changes
in bulbs, a waxing, and some new Silicone Rubbers from Matt at Titan.

Worth a shot, it should work for you too!

3 months later
#25 7 years ago

Happy to help. Id be happy to give you a call, if you shoot me a PM.

What you need to do is delete the two line items of white, the ones without the Masterkit picture, leaving only the line with the master kit.
Go back to the Master Kit page, and add 5 packages of 25 white from that page, and the total works....no need to navigate away from the page.

For Modern Games, its 2 packs of 44/47, and 3 packs of #555. Frosted is overwhelmingly recommended on any game....

Please do reach out if this is still confusing, and Ill give you a call and walk you through it.

Art

#27 7 years ago

Thanks!....its tricky to get a "canned" website to do all we want, but some changes will be coming to this method...I hope.

A couple new products in...with a neat pile coming soon...Ill be making some posts this week, but one great thing tested
well last night, finally, almost 1-1/2 years, about 8 protos.....a Single Bulb that does a look of Fire!! Yeah!

#31 7 years ago

Ill post a video..hopefully today...Its 4 SMD, 1 red always on, as fire doesnt "go out".
The other 3 are a rotating Red, Warm White and Orange.
Today, I am testing 2 together, to see if they off sync, which will make the look more random.
Next step, when it arrives, is some speed controls, to slow down the bulb, or slow 1 of 2....

Ill post here, as they wont be available for sale yet, so a "formal" announcement will be placed, when they arrive for the site....

#36 7 years ago

Manual blinking control proto types are in the works.....For those that want absolute control and speed of blinking....it is suppose to take any bulb, not a blinking bulb, and create an external blinking rate thats adjustable....Awaiting the prototype in 6.3V...12V tested OK, just trying to shrink down.

Having Fast and Slow is a great choice, clean and easy....I have not yet seen these sync.....but anythings possible.

#39 7 years ago

Got caught off gaurd today..Ill try to post a vid tomorrow.

They should be in stock in a couple weeks....hopefully it will make people happy!

Hi Vic! Still hoping to get to Atlanta... I wont know on this until last minute.

#40 7 years ago

Video of 2 Fire Bulbs Inside a MezelMods Proto Barn that was clear printed, and painted with acrylic paint.

Not a full fledged staged video, so the bulbs arent positioned perfect, nor is the paint job designed for it...theres like 12 coats of paint on this as we were testing many things......

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I saw a thread on a pinball facebook page recently about comet bulbs dying after 3 months on route. anyone want to confirm?

Yes, we had a customer who had a commercial operation with a quantity of bulbs all fail.
We could not replicate what happened, but it happened. We had communicated with customer, but our resolution and theirs did not match,
and resulted in an irate customer with post.
Not sure if his games got a spike, or they all turn on with a breaker throw? or somehow, he received a bad batch of bulbs, but testing here and at factory could not figure out.

We feel terrible it happened, immediately sent samples of all other grades, as these were the low end $.26 bulbs that failed, just in case the customer was correct, and bulbs were bad. Those replacements were reordered.

Sadly, we could not appease the customer, and the result was Cyber Bullying.

#48 7 years ago

No worries...he had a legitimate complaint, just couldnt communicate......

Anyway, back to the Fire Bulb! With the 12V Matrix coming soon, there will be several different ways, and brightness to create
Fire, Explosions, Volcanoes... Hopefully you guys will play around enough to create the right mix!

For me.....4 weeks till retirement!

4 weeks later
#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Luddite:

Just got a package from Comet. Lot's of great stuff I can't wait to get to install to my TS. One problem though: I ordered a bunch of post lights but now that test them with my posts I see that the lights don't fit into these posts. The hollow space diameter for the lights should be something like 13.8mm but my posts only have 12.4mm space in them.
Where could I find compatible posts? Or are posts usually compatible and I just happen to have some non-stardard ones?

Indeed, there are many different types of posts in the myriad of games and time.
We replaced our posts, with standard ones from Marco Specialties, and Id imagine they are the same from PBL, and others.
They fit right inside, and for some needs, some have dremeled a small notch for the wires, but most times this is not needed.

New posts also will make the lights that much brighter and Better! I did Purple posts in my Shadow.....But all colors glow sweetly!

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I really like the star lens bulbs from comet, spreads the light nicely. My only complaint is the yellow bulbs look a little too orange.

Yes, the yellow color, inherently in the visible light spectrum, our eyes, and a powder doped diode.

So when they are made "yellow" people complain they are "too light in color"
to make them darker, they will lean towards orange.

So, its taste great, less filling, less bright or towards orange.
The answer is to depend on the insert for the color, and if the plastic and bulb is not the hue you wish, change to warm white.
For GI, or above the playfield, you can go clear, and get more "yellow" but it will be half as bright as most people want.

No exact answer that solves the need of "bright yellow" other then yellow capped lens, with a warm white Diode, for GI.
The bulb itself will look the right color, but still the distance spread of yellow will be diminished due to the surrounding white,
and our eyes in the light spectrum

#58 7 years ago

My apologies that I am not aware of their product specifically, but if you wish to post or send a link, Id like to see this for myself as well.

Standard Williams Posts should be uniform across all vendors globally......very curious to learn to!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Have been a loyal customer of Arts for quite a while, always a gentleman to deal with.
Hey Art before you retire please make this bulb in a flex ! The single flex just is not working for me!
All the best!

Great Idea!

#60 7 years ago

Oh, Flame Bulbs in 44/47 are in and matrix #555 Sockets too!

#64 7 years ago

Oh Boy, I want to make sure Im helping you correctly.

The Post lights you purchased are designed to sit flat under the post, not the smaller kind, with dimmer lights, that fit inside the post.
These posts in the link appear to be the same....were you looking for ones that are inside the post and not at the bottom?

#68 7 years ago

Ill have to try to research for you.

I have all the different post lights, and only one fits inside the post, and not below. The problem with them is they arent very
bright at all. Flex heads in the GI or OpMax, will have the posts glow almost the same without the work and expense.
Now, i havent tried all the colors, and all teh combinations from other vendors...just a couple samples, but Im happy to recheck.

It may take a few days, as they are packed, and I am retiring in 2 days, but I will check.

The posts from Ministry and Marco are the same. You are looking for a different Post light, in this case.

Art

#69 7 years ago

Its from one of these:

Pinballlife, Cointaker, Pinballcenter.eu and Great Lakes Modular.

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

http://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=post+lights

http://cointaker.com/products/post-light-leds

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1995

It appears all vendors are using the newer, bases, rather then board, which is the sample I have.
This sample is a couple years old, and each post had to be notched.

I have heard from customers who "sharpied" or painted them to make less visible, and I have heard, like in
the getaway thread, I believe where people had posts that fit better, and notched to hide more of the wires.
Perhaps someone has posted on how to make them fit in the manner that you wish.

Perhaps some of the threads based on a search like this might have some additional info, or start a thread on
this, as if it is important to you, it might be for others, and since several vendors offer, it would help everyone.

Other answers might come from that post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&q=%22post+lights%22&include_basement=0#results

Art.

Ill dig into the boxes when I get a chance....

3 weeks later
#86 7 years ago

Going to be tough.

The request is for a yellow bulb, that is light in color, yet bright enough to turn a white insert a light yellow.

An Optix Bulb, gives off a very nice yellow hue, and is designed for inserts, and Id try that or a 4 SMD, even a 1 Watt.
If either of those are too dark in color, or night bright enough, a gel is the next step.
Every yellow bulb that is a doped diode, will have different hue, but a COB (1 Watt Magnum) and a Piranha Superflux (an Optix)
are different fabrications.

Much like the work done on Purple....A Dark color bright, this request is for a light hue in the spectrum, to be light in color, and
bright in intensity. Its tricky, and doesnt always work, but I have been happy with an Optix yellow when in the same situation.

I cant say how you personally will find the hue of yellow from this bulb, but have not found any other way.
(It doesnt mean their arent any lighter yellow, or a different solution, just that doped diodes with either be light yellow, and then not bright enough)

Quoted from dothedoo:

How do the flame bulbs work? Do they cycle through the 4 LEDs? Do they pulsate In intensity?

There is a video, and these cycle through red, Amber, and warm white, while keeping one red always lit.
2 Bulbs in the same use, create the best illusion, so they arent "in sync"

If you are looking for a fire creation that varies in intensity, I dont believe they can fit that all in one bulb base, so this would likely be a board based solution.

Some hand made ones have been made in the past that will give a programmed degree of intensity change and randomness, and because of production costs in small numbers, Id expect a $10-$25 product could be made to achieve your needs.

This bulb does a nice job in a backbox art situation, or in a MOD, but likely isnt the "Perfect" Solution for everyones needs, imagination, or interpretation of fire and explosion. Worth trying, very affordable, but when I was testing many friends were pleased,
others wanted the bulb to have a programmed display.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-pinball-leds?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.