Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Test_2.jpg
Test.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
image-294.jpg
image.jpg
image-83.jpg
image.jpg

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Please do send those back, and Ill replace them with the new product released after your purchase that should solve your issue there.

Awesome, thanks Art. I'll round them up this weekend and shoot you an email.

I want to reiterate again that Comet's bulbs definitely are worthy of taking a look at. I use Comet's frosted non-ghosting in pretty much every regular sized insert and GI location nowadays. My recommendation is to drop a $100 order with Art and just get a bunch of random stuff.

The flickering on the LED strips is fine for their use I think. I've got one of the 3-LED purple ones shining on the brain bug under the playfield in SST. It looks sweet, and given that it's behind a smokey translucent window, the flickering isn't very noticeable there, so it works fine. If I really wanted to end the flickering I would just power them via DC.

#102 5 years ago

Dunno what to say, my wife and I have both tried on multiple computers and multiple browsers. I have the latest versions now of both Firefox and Chrome. I cleared my cache. All of this and still nothing.

At least I CAN access it on my phone though.

Any port in a storm......

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If I really wanted to end the flickering I would just power them via DC.

The inserts in my AvatarLE flicker really bad no matter what bulb I use and when I tested a Comet strip it flickered the same. But when I ran the strip from a bulb that was always on, dc right, like a sling or spot light socket they worked perfect. The inserts on Avatar have a really nice fade and sweep to them so the only way I can keep that with led is to go with the OCD. I'm not sure I want to go with all of that for cost and hassle reasons. I might try colored incandesent bulbs and see how they look.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The inserts in my AvatarLE flicker really bad no matter what bulb I use and when I tested a Comet strip it flickered the same.

Spiderman was the same for me. It has three levels of brightness for the middle villain inserts, so they flickered terribly no matter what LED I put in there.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Dunno what to say, my wife and I have both tried on multiple computers and multiple browsers. I have the latest versions now of both Firefox and Chrome. I cleared my cache. All of this and still nothing.

I am so sorry I dont have an answer for you....I will make it up to you somehow, in your order?
I worked on the issue for 3 hours, and found no way to replicate your issue, nor did commerce live support,
My IT guy, and two college workers....so sorry, I am stumped, It is the first I have heard of an issue. Sorry

Quoted from MustangPaul:

The inserts in my AvatarLE flicker really bad no matter what bulb I use

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

spiderman was the same for me.

The only bulb that worked for me in Spiderman was our Optix, The :No-Flix" because of the Cap inside, and different PCB fixed it.

Have either of you tried this? If not, remind me with your next shipment to send some.
If that fails you, Hergs Board, is the last and perfect answer,

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The only bulb that worked for me in spiderman was our Optix, The :No-Flix" because of the Cap inside, and different PCB fixed it.

That's one 555 I have not tried.

#107 5 years ago

Art and Comet = Amazeballz

#108 5 years ago

I will say emails go till 4 AM...I am wiped! but thanks...

Paul, I will do my best to send one in a package I have for you next week.

Wolfmarsh, I shipped the others to you today, before this conversation, but Ill try to get you one to test next week.

Definitely want to hear of success or failure on these....

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Paul, I will do my best to send one in a package I have for you next week.

No need to remember one for my package Art I found a couple of red ones you sent for me to try when they first came out, none of my games flickered so I really couldn't see if they worked. I finally got a game that could really test them and they took about 70% of the flicker out but I could tell they were still really struggeling, if that's the right word. They just need a little something, I don't know what goes into the make-up of the bulbs, to work 100%. Also, is there a way to put a frosted dome on these to disperse the light better, it gives a very pinpoint kind of light when used close to an insert. I hope my observations are helping you with your products. Your 6.3v led strips have really helped me with my creativity when it comes to lighting my games that would have been imposable with any other kind of bulb.

#110 5 years ago

About 70%-80% is about right for me on Sterns in attract mode, it should be much better during game play, on Bally/Williams it can appear perfect, but my eyes dont see flicker...Sadly, many solutions I have tried to create, will work for this and other requests, sometimes it just costs to much to make, or I need to order 100,000, or there simply isnt any more physical room in a bulb for additional circuitry or that is cost effective, All feedback is important to me, I try to do better, but like the lens addition to a Piranha Superflux might help...there isnt enough demand to create.You are correct that some new inserts, that are clear, and the right color etc, a Piahana can Halo,
There are adaptive solutions...frost the lens with a few strokes of sandpaper, or if possible, put a washer or two between the wood playfield and the standoffs to drop the board further away...I have solved many this way.
If bayonet under an insert, it is a small bend back to solve,

Every day is a learning experience in the concept of an LED working in every game, every manufacturer for 40 years..Lots of unique issues!

#111 5 years ago

I hear ya on all counts Art, we can help come up with products we think can help fix problems but your the only one that really knows what can or can not be done from a physical or monetary stand point. I hope you don't get to upset with us always asking for new and better stuff.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I am assuming your phone is using a different ISP than your other computers. I am willing to bet that your dns is not resolving the volusion.com domain (which is where his pictures are hosted) I have another site I use with frequency that has issues resolving volusion images as well, give this one a try and tell me if you see broken pictures here as well- http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1230 ( I promise it is safe, just a VW parts website)....

#113 5 years ago

Here's what I see, Ralph:

Test.jpg

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Are you using Ad-Block or something on that order? I had trouble viewing pics on Pinside market place with Ad-Block set high.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Here's what I see, Ralph:

Test.jpg 135 KB

Thats good.... lets make sure you are resolving the specific ecommerce host he is using....

Click Start, then run, then type in CMD and hit enter. In the black box that will pop up, type nslookup cdn3.volusion.com and hit enter. It should resolve to address 23.79.87.237 if it doesn't, your ISP's DNS cant find it. I had this exact issue with Comet (and that Volkswagen site) a few months ago, and I simply changed my DNS to a public server (4.2.2.2) and it resolved out the Volusion site.

#116 5 years ago

Thanks for the help, ralphwiggum.....it is above my knowledge base. Volusion, on my side has DNS, "refreshes" and "rebuilds", but they looks like it didnt work.
Id like to forward them your info.....is there anything you can suggest I request from their side?

Art

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks for the help, ralphwiggum.....it is above my knowledge base. Volusion, on my side has DNS, "refreshes" and "rebuilds", but they looks like it didnt work.
Id like to forward them your info.....is there anything you can suggest I request from their side?
Art

I would hold off and give it a little time. They eventually resolved out, it just took a little longer than other sites that went through DNS changes/updates. There may be other issues going on with NewPinOwner as well.... Have you recently had other reports of users not seeing images?

#118 5 years ago

I have bought from a few places and made my mind up that Comet gives you the most variety,the best prices,always adding new products,and by far the best service.
Art is full of great info and always willing to take time to answer any question you have.I sent an email about midnight one night expecting an answer the next day and two minutes later I received an answer.We then spent the next half hour back and forth.
Thats customer service!!
Comet all the way!!

#119 5 years ago

Thanks Dave,

No I dont sleep....I model myself after Lloyd! He has me beat!

For some, having a product is only about "money" the way our world works today.

For me, I grew up mailing pencil sketches of playfields, badly Ill admit, in elementary school, every week to Gottlieb, Chicago Coin, etc. ....I wanted to design pinballs!
i never got the career, and as I am hopefully retiring real soon, this was a way I could give back, and participate
"adding" something to a hobby that has given me so much,
I may bitch and moan a bit, but I have achieved a couple of items on my bucket list....to give something to pinball, and to meet many pinsiders, that share the joy and passion of pinball!

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would hold off and give it a little time.

Will do....Volusion is both very good, and very bad, but this was the first time I have heard of this issue.....

#120 5 years ago

Here's the results, Ralph:

Test_2.jpg

#121 5 years ago

I can't tell from the screen... did you type cdm or cdn?

#122 5 years ago

cdn

#123 5 years ago

I see it now... Definitely a DNS issue.... On your windows Xp box, click on start, run, type in CMD again and hit enter.

In the black box, type (or copy and paste this)- netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" static 4.2.2.2 and then hit enter. Then type (or copy and paste this)- netsh interface ip add dns name="Local Area Connection" 192.168.1.1 index=2 and then hit enter.

After that is done, we can flush and register dns again.... at the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Then type ipconfig /registerdns and hit enter.

From there try browsing to the site and report back with your results....

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I see it now... Definitely a DNS issue.... On your windows Xp box, click on start, run, type in CMD again and hit enter.
In the black box, type (or copy and paste this)- netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" static 4.2.2.2 and then hit enter. Then type (or copy and paste this)- netsh interface ip add dns name="Local Area Connection" 192.168.1.1 index=2 and then hit enter.
After that is done, we can flush and register dns again.... at the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Then type ipconfig /registerdns and hit enter.
From there try browsing to the site and report back with your results....

Oops... one more thing.... I am used to doing stuff like this at work where everything is plugged into the network via cable.... If you are using a wireless connection from your laptop/desktop, replace the words "Local Area Connection" with the words "Wireless Network Connection" ......

#125 5 years ago

Results unchanged

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Results unchanged

If you are comfortable with it.... I can remote in to your machine and setup your router to update the DNS for all of your devices so you wont have to deal with this again. A lot of ISPs have horrible DNS, and I personally use the big public ones for the most reliable results.

Just shoot me a PM and I can tell you how it works. It shouldnt take me more than 10 minutes (as long as you know your router's password-if you changed it)... If you arent comofortable with that, I understand, but it is hard (and time consuming) to do remote support on something like this when you arent aware of the users comfort level within windows..... Looking at your results, your router definitely doesnt know what the DNS address of the volusion hosting is....

#127 5 years ago

I cant share enough thanks to you for offering your help as much as you are doing.
I feel terrible, I am not knowledgeable to help any further in this matter.
Mr. Wiggum, 1 million kharma points for help!

Art

#128 5 years ago

Just ordered 7 pinballs worth of leds last week at Comet. The excellent service and super fast email replies from Art made my decision. He gave me very good advice on what to buy and what to expect from them. And not to mention the good price at 100 packs. I'm from Europe, and even combined price with shipping was cheaper than I could get here. Thumbs up

#129 5 years ago

The only ' complaint' I have with comet bulbs is that the frosted tops don't snap of very easily. I like to order all frosteds and if I need it brighter I just snap the tops off. Other manufacturers' bulbs seem to be much easier to do this on.

#130 5 years ago

This thread is reminding me that I have work to do on my Nascar putting some cometLED bulbs in that I have,
which will then lead into more bulbs to order for it and or Starship Troopers and other future games.

#131 5 years ago

I also cannot see the pictures on my work laptop, looks similar to NewPinOwner. On home computer pictures show up. The pictures used to show up until a few months ago they stopped working, thought it was just my machine. Comet is only website with pictures not showing up. Comet is fantastic!

#132 5 years ago

I just finished putting a bunch of Comet LEDs in my Starship Troopers. This game was made for LEDs. It looks amazing. Two additional spotlights needed to be added on top of the slingshots pointing to the lower center of the playfield, but that was the only real necessary mod I had to do for good LED lighting.

I also added one of Comet's 3 LED strips, in purple, in front of the brain bug, under the playfield. When the bug is down, it gives a nice purple glow on it that you can see through the window.

Adding cool white 7-led strips to the outside of the subway this afternoon, the blue plastic will give it a really nice blue glow out of the holes to the subway.

I also used his Cyan frosted in the B-U-G rollover lanes at the top of the playfield, I think they look great, that color makes the inserts really pop.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

If you are comfortable with it.... I can remote in to your machine and setup your router to update the DNS for all of your devices so you wont have to deal with this again. A lot of ISPs have horrible DNS, and I personally use the big public ones for the most reliable results.
Just shoot me a PM and I can tell you how it works. It shouldnt take me more than 10 minutes (as long as you know your router's password-if you changed it)... If you arent comofortable with that, I understand, but it is hard (and time consuming) to do remote support on something like this when you arent aware of the users comfort level within windows..... Looking at your results, your router definitely doesnt know what the DNS address of the volusion hosting is....

PM'd you with my authorization!

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

The only ' complaint' I have with comet bulbs is that the frosted tops don't snap of very easily.

Hi Matt, yup, one of those situations where I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
Many vendors, including myself, overlap with others in the factories we use.

When the first few batches came in, and the caps came off easy...we had complaints.
When we requested the factory change the glue in our production, to solve this, we heard
from others like yourself, that they were too hard. Tough one to fix.

In my humble opinion only, we sell so little 5050 SMD without a lens.
My belief is that a Clear lens, not only spreads the light better, but also protects the SMD and circuitry.
I have had games that had SMD no lens for several years, and carbon dust builds up on them as well.
Much easier to clean the lens, and keeping the exposed circuitry protected, but in all these cases, bulbs are
so reasonable anyway.

Quoted from lyzanxia:

I'm from Europe, and even combined price with shipping was cheaper than I could get here. Thumbs up

Thank you kindly, for sharing, It is a 24/7 job, with my goal to do exactly that...The best I can make, for the lowest
I can wrap expenses out of. Innovation is my passion, and on Monday, we will start posts of all the new, long awaited products coming in.....some are up already, but formal threads on Monday and this week.

HighProtein......remind me when I see you or ship you....I have some surprises to send.....

Quoted from fish1975tx:

I also cannot see the pictures on my work laptop, looks similar to NewPinOwner.

I will start again Monday, to understand what is happening.....If needed, Ill eventually move the site, but
I am hoping Ralph, (not to put any burden on his generous time), or Volusion, will care to be of help.
Once they get you signed up, help is easily there...in depth knowledgeable help is another story to receive.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Adding cool white 7-led strips to the outside of the subway this afternoon, the blue plastic will give it a really nice blue glow out of the holes to the subway.

Very creative! I have heard from customers that have used clear tubing...home depot etc, and frosted the tube and used on playfield....Ill have to try that and add pictures...

Indeed RGB Strips are almost here...I hope in Mondays shipment, and LED Bumper rings...More colors, and new stuff, Ice blue, starts arriving...and more....It just takes time....

Please keep the ideas coming...I learn what to make, by listening to what you need......Thanks!

#135 5 years ago

I found an interesting forum posting that may explain some of the volusion DNS issues.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49318d51-5904-41c5-90c2-1815791310a1/windows-dns-server-fails-to-resolve-cname-pointing-to-another-cname?forum=winserverNIS

In this instance, cdn3.volusion.com is a CNAME record that points to ssl.volusion.com.edgekey.net which is itself a CNAME record that points to e8414.g.akamaiedge.net.. Basically their Microsoft DNS server had issues resolving the name because the e8414.g.akamaiedge.net A record has a shorter TTL than the CNAME does. MS implemented strict TTL checking in recent versions of Windows to prevent cache poisoning.

If NewPinOwner's ISP is using Microsoft DNS, then this could be why he's having issues accessing the CDN. There's not much you can do about it other than to get volusion to fix their DNS (not likely) or do as Ralph has mentioned and point your name resolution to a different DNS server.

This problem does not appear to affect bind servers, which would explain why the majority of people can access the site without issues.

#136 5 years ago

Oh hell....lol...

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

Just ordered 7 pinballs worth of leds last week at Comet. The excellent service and super fast email replies from Art made my decision. He gave me very good advice on what to buy and what to expect from them. And not to mention the good price at 100 packs. I'm from Europe, and even combined price with shipping was cheaper than I could get here. Thumbs up

Dang, 7 games worth, your gonna be busy for a while.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I found an interesting forum posting that may explain some of the volusion DNS issues.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49318d51-5904-41c5-90c2-1815791310a1/windows-dns-server-fails-to-resolve-cname-pointing-to-another-cname?forum=winserverNIS
In this instance, cdn3.volusion.com is a CNAME record that points to ssl.volusion.com.edgekey.net which is itself a CNAME record that points to e8414.g.akamaiedge.net.. Basically their Microsoft DNS server had issues resolving the name because the e8414.g.akamaiedge.net A record has a shorter TTL than the CNAME does. MS implemented strict TTL checking in recent versions of Windows to prevent cache poisoning.
If NewPinOwner's ISP is using Microsoft DNS, then this could be why he's having issues accessing the CDN. There's not much you can do about it other than to get volusion to fix their DNS (not likely) or do as Ralph has mentioned and point your name resolution to a different DNS server.
This problem does not appear to affect bind servers, which would explain why the majority of people can access the site without issues.

Yep... that pretty much nails it... good info there. I imagine a lot of people at work will experience this as most work environments use a Microsoft Server for DNS.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

PM'd you with my authorization!

Received... I will touch base with you later today....

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Matt, yup, one of those situations where I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
Many vendors, including myself, overlap with others in the factories we use.
When the first few batches came in, and the caps came off easy...we had complaints.
When we requested the factory change the glue in our production, to solve this, we heard
from others like yourself, that they were too hard. Tough one to fix.
In my humble opinion only, we sell so little 5050 SMD without a lens.
My belief is that a Clear lens, not only spreads the light better, but also protects the SMD and circuitry.
I have had games that had SMD no lens for several years, and carbon dust builds up on them as well.
Much easier to clean the lens, and keeping the exposed circuitry protected, but in all these cases, bulbs are
so reasonable anyway.!

Makes sense, I just don't like counting the kinds of bulbs I want etc. Just lazy.

#141 5 years ago

Any chance the online inventory will be updated soon? I tried to place an order and some stuff was out of stock.

#142 5 years ago

To my knowledge, only 3 items are out of stock....May I ask what you were looking for?
(There can always be a chance of errors, if people hold products in basket, before the system clears them without purchase)

#143 5 years ago

To work around the DNS issue, the people with issues could edit their HOSTS file and map the (current) IP address of the site with bad lookup themselves so their device will show it correctly? Yeah, not an ideal fix but would work if the ISP wont fix it.

#144 5 years ago

I just put my order in, and I'm hoping they turn out great.

#145 5 years ago

I am sure that Comet LEDs from the posts are good, but on the flip side Melissa at Cointaker has supplied the LEDs and Mirror Blades for all of my pins except WOZ. She has been great and the LEDs are great.

#146 5 years ago

Got some in the mail the other day...haven't got around to trying them out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sterling, MA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Elkhart, IN
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 149.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside