Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 250 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed(1) (resized).jpg
    comet_black_friday_2020 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    12955C65-4FC8-449F-B2C8-2AB5D0C69E78 (resized).jpeg
    20191211_153143.jpg
    20191211_153212.jpg
    20191211_152443.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-194453_Firefox.jpg
    F26F95CD-F97F-4158-8E32-BD7E055CD9DE (resized).jpeg
    D8012EB4-EC0A-43A7-B2E3-DF25B59C7436 (resized).jpeg
    69726477-A692-4485-B192-C2EE0A483B5C (resized).jpeg
    CF2929C1-FC6A-4DA2-B17E-BE1DA83BCC74 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191203-062430 (resized).jpg
    all_put_away (resized).png
    comet_goodies (resized).png

There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago

Comet are the de facto best LEDs on the market.

I’ve got three pins, so only small fry compared to most. Two of them had LEDs when I bought them, but not Comet ones.. that won’t do. That won’t do at all.

I ended up completely redoing both those pins with Comet LEDs, and am about to do the third (which has Comet, just not the style I want)

Being in the UK I get battered with customs duties when I get my packages, often adding $75 or more to the cost. It’s worth it though, nothing over here comes close.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yup.. didn't get shit this year, sold out of 555 2 smd sunlight frosted. maybe next year you guys will be better prepared for the havoc.

It's not them its us.
    Who would think 4 months supply wouldn't be close to enough?

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

Comet are the de facto best LEDs on the market.
    I’ve got three pins, so only small fry compared to most. Two of them had LEDs when I bought them, but not Comet ones.. that won’t do. That won’t do at all.
    I ended up completely redoing both those pins with Comet LEDs, and am about to do the third (which has Comet, just not the style I want)
    Being in the UK I get battered with customs duties when I get my packages, often adding $75 or more to the cost. It’s worth it though, nothing over here comes close.

I ordered x100 warm white 2smd gi leds and was not hit with any customs / handling or vat which is a bit strange as the order did come to over £60 so was expecting something!

Your just down the M4 from me

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I ordered x100 warm white 2smd gi leds and was not hit with any customs / handling or vat which is a bit strange as the order did come to over £60 so was expecting something!
    Your just down the M4 from me

Hi!

I’ve been pretty unlucky with Comet, every shipment I’ve had has been hit with duties, often a not inconsequential amount, £40+ usually.

That’s not their fault though, just bad luck on my part.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

Personally, I prefer the flavored Tootsie Rolls over the original.

Same, and a vanilla and cherry at the same time is the way to go!

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Same, and a vanilla and cherry at the same time is the way to go!

Vanilla and the lemon are good. They are certainly better than the original.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

Personally, I prefer the flavored Tootsie Rolls over the original.

This. Every time I see one of those, I have to remind myself that they make my teeth hurt; otherwise, I will be unable to resist consuming them.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

So a customer wants me to add some LEDs to his GI in his barb wire. Ryan do I use the retro bullets? I can’t remember what you said about gottlieb games for the GI. Thanks.

I have a Night Moves (Gottlieb's last system 80b game) contract built for International Concepts, and I was devastated when I found out my normal colored comet bulbs are too large to fit the playfield hole, they get stuck right where the lens connects to the base... I want to know if the retros are thinner in the middle so they fit these tight spots.

I was actually confused as well on the 49¢ per bulb thing. Thankfully you explained it pretty simply saying they're gonna be 49¢ per bulb no matter if you get the 25 pack or 100 pack.

I've been very happy with comets. I placed an order long ago, probably 2 years ago and just have gotten around to using the last of it. Out of all the bulbs I only had 2 DOA! I think that's pretty damn good quality control compared to even standard incandescents.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I have a Night Moves (Gottlieb's last system 80b game) contract built for International Concepts, and I was devastated when I found out my normal colored comet bulbs are too large to fit the playfield hole, they get stuck right where the lens connects to the base... I want to know if the retros are thinner in the middle so they fit these tight spots.

Thanks for bringing this up, I wasn't aware. First, I want to make sure you're not talking about non-ghosting bulbs. Those are wider, but are not necessary to use in the GI (and we're aware that they won't work for lot of 80s Gottliebs).

If they are already not non-ghosting bulbs, then really the only route is to go with bulbs that don't have lenses (like the 1SMD or 4SMD). But those might be really difficult to install, and without a lens, they're going to be harsh if you catch a direct line of sight to them.

I've been very happy with comets. I placed an order long ago, probably 2 years ago and just have gotten around to using the last of it. Out of all the bulbs I only had 2 DOA! I think that's pretty damn good quality control compared to even standard incandescents.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Thanks for bringing this up, I wasn't aware. First, I want to make sure you're not talking about non-ghosting bulbs. Those are wider, but are not necessary to use in the GI (and we're aware that they won't work for lot of 80s Gottliebs).
    If they are already not non-ghosting bulbs, then really the only route is to go with bulbs that don't have lenses (like the 1SMD or 4SMD). But those might be really difficult to install, and without a lens, they're going to be harsh if you catch a direct line of sight to them.

Oh shoot... I think I bought nothing but non-ghosting bulbs... I opened the packages and mixed them all together like an idiot back then... Any way to tell the difference?? I also mixed a bunch of 1SMD and 2SMD together and now I can't tell the difference... I regret that greatly! I don't want to waste all my non-ghosting for GI. These could very well be all non-ghosting then, maybe that's why they don't fit. Did you do colored ones aswell?? I thought it was only the whites.

#161 4 years ago

Oh shoot... I think I bought nothing but non-ghosting bulbs... I opened the packages and mixed them all together like an idiot back then... Any way to tell the difference??

The non-ghosting ones would have NG written on the base (and the wedge/555 ones would have transparent bases).

There isn't a way to tell the difference between 1SMD and 2SMD, unless the lens is clear. In that case, you just count the diodes (the flat squares that emit the light).

#162 4 years ago

Love the trough lighting! Such a nice, subtle improvement.
    Screenshot_20191201-194311 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191201-194311 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191201-194317 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191201-194317 (resized).jpg

Oh, and the fire bulbs look great too!

#163 4 years ago

thank you comet. Both responsiveness and awesome product. One package, Comet!

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

2 smd sunlight frosted - sold out -
    I was in the middle of putting the order in & got the "sold out" message; oh well there is always next year.

Ditto. If anyone wants a single bulb for most applications these are a great option. I was hopping to convert my The Shadow from cool to sunlight.

#165 4 years ago

Everyone seems to go nuts for sunlight but I just keep on using warm white. Am I missing out?!

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Everyone seems to go nuts for sunlight but I just keep on using warm white. Am I missing out?!

Nope. Sunlight is still too cool for my tastes.

#167 4 years ago

Depends entirely on your tastes really. I'm a big fan of Sunlight, and did one side of my Tron in Sunlight and the other in Ice Blue, and it really pops.

Sunlight is a nice compromise between cool and warm, as should be obvious.

To give an idea - here is a photo of my Addams when I was trying to decide on cool vs sunlight (I went with cool because it suits me more). As you can see, sunlight is a nice middle ground.

IMG_2481 (resized).jpegIMG_2481 (resized).jpeg

In danger of opening a can of worms here but I tend to think the only reason people are fans of warm is because of the misguided belief that it is the closest thing to incandescent. Whilst that is true, it assumes that the warm light of incandescent is what the original artists and designers intended, rather than being - as I believe - the only thing available at the time, for the lowest cost that Bally/Williams and co could get them for. There is artwork that really does not work with warm, but what choice did they have in the 90s?

#168 4 years ago

I've still got quite a bit of cool white and I find myself just removing those as I go along. I really like the warm for the older machines I own.

#169 4 years ago

For me I just prefer warm in all eras except games designed with LEDs as I haven’t needed to change those.

I started with cool in certain game and warm in others but eventually moved to warm everywhere. Makes it easier for bulk purchases too. It’s why I never get anything but frosted too.

#171 4 years ago

Yeah, I stocked up on warm white, frosted. I bought frosted colors for inserts, so hopefully those pan out. The inserts on eight ball deluxe are super thin and almost TOO clear so I'm going to be doing some experimenting. But my lineup feels pretty...set for a bit and aside from World Cup Soccer which already came with LEDs, my other pins are all '79-86. To me that means more conservative with white bulbs.. Except space shuttle I guess, which has colored LEDs all over and makes purists wince lmao. Allllso not my doing but I don't intend to change it any time soon.

IMG_20190922_213714 (resized).jpgIMG_20190922_213714 (resized).jpg
    #172 4 years ago

Its here!!

15A58B76-7BE7-4396-8D30-FCE0B7E48A7C (resized).jpeg15A58B76-7BE7-4396-8D30-FCE0B7E48A7C (resized).jpeg
    #173 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. Sunlight is still too cool for my tastes.

Warm, Sunlight, or Cool...you'll get used to whatever you use. In general I'll use warm for flesh tones, cool for blues, and sunlight for everything else.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Warm, Sunlight, or Cool...you'll get used to whatever you use. In general I'll use warm for flesh tones, cool for blues, and sunlight for everything else.

I have games where I mix the GI whites as Well.....Sometimes the art above a plastic can benefit.

#175 4 years ago

I've occasionally done it for GI, but more often I'll mix the backglass. There are many examples where I couldn't get any LED to not stand out, so I'll just leave in the incandescent. I think that "not standing out" is my overall goal for game lighting. I just want to use lighting to help showcase what is already on the game.

#176 4 years ago

It's all personal preference to me. I use the cool white which a lot of people don't seem to dig, but I like the brightness on my games and how it looks in my basement. You do you, man!

#177 4 years ago

Cool white throughout looks spectacular on my Terminator 2 - another vote for how they make the color blue really pop. Plus the theme also makes me think "steel" a lot and the cool white accents the chrome/steel pieces on the playfield nicely too.

My other games (including Twilight Zone and Eight Ball Deluxe) have warm whites throughout. But I just placed an order for a bunch of sunlights from Comet as I want to give them a try in my TZ to see how they compare to the warms. I'll swap in a few and then decide whether I'll swap out all the warms for sunlights, or keep the warms in TZ and save the sunlights for another game.

But I'm very curious to see which I prefer in my TZ.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

Cool white throughout looks spectacular on my Terminator 2 - another vote for how they make the color blue really pop. Plus the theme also makes me think "steel" a lot and the cool white accents the chrome/steel pieces on the playfield nicely too.
    My other games (including Twilight Zone and Eight Ball Deluxe) have warm whites throughout. But I just placed an order for a bunch of sunlights from Comet as I want to give them a try in my TZ to see how they compare to the warms. I'll swap in a few and then decide whether I'll swap out all the warms for sunlights, or keep the warms in TZ and save the sunlights for another game.
    But I'm very curious to see which I prefer in my TZ.

In my opinion TZ is the perfect type of game for Sunlights.

#179 4 years ago

The phonebooks are here! The phonebooks are here!
    The future is bright!

20191202_150330 (resized).jpg20191202_150330 (resized).jpg
    #180 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

In my opinion TZ is the perfect type of game for Sunlights.

Now I'm even more excited to try them in my TZ.

I've been fine with the warms, since the cools I tested back when I did the switchover from incandescents to LEDs didn't look good to me at all in TZ. That said, I've always thought it would be nice to sharpen it up although not to the sharpness of the cools. So once I discovered that sunlights are available (exclusively from Comet!) I want to see how they would look in TZ.

Sure sounds like they're exactly what I've been hoping for.

#181 4 years ago

The future is bright indeed !!

20191202_214420 (resized).jpg20191202_214420 (resized).jpg
    #182 4 years ago

I don't think ryanwanger could have fit any more in this box. comet_goodies (resized).pngcomet_goodies (resized).png

Managed to fit everything into a single compartment box. It's 3 inches high and filled to the brim. Couldn't fit all the 47 1SMD Retros in a single row so had to spill over into the next.
    all_put_away (resized).pngall_put_away (resized).png

#183 4 years ago

I call shenanigans! It clearly says 2020!

Screenshot_20191203-062430 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191203-062430 (resized).jpg
    #184 4 years ago

I call shenanigans! It clearly says 2020!

Haha!

* All fine print subject to misprints.

#185 4 years ago

This is an outrage! I want to speak to the manager! To the manager's manager!

#186 4 years ago

This is an outrage! I want to speak to the manager! To the manager's manager!

I DEMAND to speak to the PRESIDENT of Comet Pinball!!!

#187 4 years ago

Mine came today! I definitely think I’m good for a while. Haha. I had to immediately use a lot of NG bulbs in a pool sharks I just got. Color was in every clear insert in the game. Switched them to warm white. Looks great.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine came today! I definitely think I’m good for a while. Haha. I had to immediately use a lot of NG bulbs in a pool sharks I just got. Color was in every clear insert in the game. Switched them to warm white. Looks great.

Yeah, people are so stupid. Every single game I buy has some stupid shit going on these days. “I can make this better.” all day long. All. Day. Long.

#189 4 years ago

I was wondering if my package got lost? The tracking says "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". I normally get my comet orders in two days . It has said this same message for two days and it says the package is still in BOULDER, CO

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jenniebear:

I was wondering if my package got lost? The tracking says "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". I normally get my comet orders in two days . It has said this same message for two days and it says the package is still in BOULDER, CO

Unless you're one of the first 100 orders, shipping gets backed up during the sale. We get way more than we can normally process.

Orders that got picked after noon on Saturday would have had this message until at least Monday night (when we dropped off 28 bins!), possibly later. It depends on if the post office used our scan forms or if they just dumped the packages. Also, I'm sure they're completely overwhelmed with mail from Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

So...what will most likely happen is that suddenly the tracking will update, and you'll find it's much closer to your house than you thought.

#191 4 years ago

You guys are ON IT. Placed my order November 28, received my order December 3. Package opened, Smarties consumed. Thank you, Comet.

#192 4 years ago

Ordered Saturday. Rec'd today. Thank you so much. I ordered 225 cool white and I just finished one of the backboxes. Totally satisfied. I ordered primarily for GI. Gonna play with these in a few inserts as well.

Thanks Comet!

#193 4 years ago

My TSPP and I thank you

CF2929C1-FC6A-4DA2-B17E-BE1DA83BCC74 (resized).jpegCF2929C1-FC6A-4DA2-B17E-BE1DA83BCC74 (resized).jpeg
    #194 4 years ago

Almost done with Comet order install, waiting on some green for the inserts which I forgot in my first order (always seem to forget something). The non frosted 2SMD LEDs from Stern were way to harsh on my eyes. D8012EB4-EC0A-43A7-B2E3-DF25B59C7436 (resized).jpegD8012EB4-EC0A-43A7-B2E3-DF25B59C7436 (resized).jpeg69726477-A692-4485-B192-C2EE0A483B5C (resized).jpeg69726477-A692-4485-B192-C2EE0A483B5C (resized).jpeg

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

The non frosted 2SMD LEDs from Stern were way to harsh on my eyes

Your Spider-man looks excellent! What did you use instead?

#196 4 years ago

Got this high hand ready to go!

F26F95CD-F97F-4158-8E32-BD7E055CD9DE (resized).jpegF26F95CD-F97F-4158-8E32-BD7E055CD9DE (resized).jpeg
    #197 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Your Spider-man looks excellent! What did you use instead?

Comet 2SMD frosted. Inserts - blue under blue, red under red, green under green, warm white under yellow, purple passion under purple, natural white under clear. GI is 2SMD natural white except the lanes leading into the pops where I put warm white under the four red plastics.

#198 4 years ago

Comet works hard to get the orders out so quickly and then USPS happens

Screenshot_20191207-194453_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20191207-194453_Firefox.jpg
    #199 4 years ago

First class shipment volume from Black Friday is a bit insane!
    Likely be there tomorrow or next....

#200 4 years ago

Woohoo . . . I received Smarties with my order!

There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-pinball-black-friday-sale/page/4?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.