Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 250 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed(1) (resized).jpg
    comet_black_friday_2020 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    12955C65-4FC8-449F-B2C8-2AB5D0C69E78 (resized).jpeg
    20191211_153143.jpg
    20191211_153212.jpg
    20191211_152443.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-194453_Firefox.jpg
    F26F95CD-F97F-4158-8E32-BD7E055CD9DE (resized).jpeg
    D8012EB4-EC0A-43A7-B2E3-DF25B59C7436 (resized).jpeg
    69726477-A692-4485-B192-C2EE0A483B5C (resized).jpeg
    CF2929C1-FC6A-4DA2-B17E-BE1DA83BCC74 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191203-062430 (resized).jpg
    all_put_away (resized).png
    comet_goodies (resized).png
    There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

Comet_Black Friday 2019_Social Posts_Coming Soon - Instagram (1) (resized).pngComet_Black Friday 2019_Social Posts_Coming Soon - Instagram (1) (resized).png

Wanted to start a separate thread for this because in past years it has been fun to answer questions and interact here on Pinside during the sale.

Direct link to sale: https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/black-friday-sale

Black Friday Sale: Starts at midnight (eastern time) on Friday morning (ie: a few hours after your Thanksgiving).

Save up to 30% on the following items (no code necessary):

• 2SMDs are 49 cents each (when bought in 25 packs or 100 packs)
    • SMD Retros are 45 cents each (when bought in 25 packs or 100 packs)
    • 8SMD flashers are 99 cents each (just the normal flat ones, not towers or flexes)
    • Trough lighting kits are $5.49
    • Pop bumper discs are $2.99
    • Blinking bulbs are 99 cents each

Everything else is regularly priced.

Sorry, no rain checks - when they're gone, they're gone. Quantities are limited in some cases.

As always, all orders over $99 get free shipping.

If you spend more than $199, you get to choose a free gift! Choose from:

• Comet T-shirt (now also in black!)
    • Spotlight Kit
    • Illuminated Flipper button kit
    • Matrix sampler kit
    • Kangaroo coin purse
    • Clip on Work Light

Limit one gift per customer.

If you already have items in your cart, you will need to refresh your browser once the sale goes live to see the discounted pricing.

FAQ:

Q: Will [name of product not listed above] be part of the sale?
    A: Sadly, no.

Q: Do I get candy?
    A: Almost certainly (unless you order a single bulb or something, or you're outside the US).

Q: Will Nemo The Shop Dog be picking orders?
    A: No. He will be sitting in the aisle, getting in our way.

Q: Is international shipping free if I spend $X?
    A: Sadly, no.

Q: When do you play pinball in the office?
    A: Never before the mail goes out at 5:29pm. Currently we have a Funhouse and a Wizard of Oz.

Q: If I spend $398+, can I have two free gifts?
    A: Sadly, no - gifts are limited.

Q: If I forget something in my order, do I have to pay for shipping again?
    A: It depends. Your order confirmation will give you instructions for how to add to your order. If you haven't received a shipping confirmation, then we haven't packed your order yet and you are free to add to it. However, once you've received the shipping confirmation email, it's too late, and you'll need to place another order and pay for shipping again. Please follow this guideline so that your package is not delayed while we track you down and make you pony up for shipping.

Q: That sounded like a threat. Are you threatening me?
    A: As of this time, we have yet to employ hired goons for any reason.

Q: Do you eat candy while working in the Comet Pinball office?
    A: Ryan will occasionally partake, but only if he hasn't eaten in several hours. I've never seen Greg eat candy, as he is dissuaded by the picture of the aching cartoon tooth that lives in the candy bin. We're currently in possession of a full sized gummy pickle that has gone uneaten for weeks.

Q: Will you run out of some product during the sale?
    A: Almost certainly (but hopefully only a handful of our 1000+ products). No matter how hard we try, we cannot seem to satisfy your appetite for bulbs!

Q: You ran out of Trough Lighting Kits, now what?
    A: Buy a 10SMD strip of your choice, and then add a 12 inch Matrix wire. That's it! (All you're missing is the brightness adjuster, which are totally optional, but sadly it looks like we're going to run out of those).

Q: What does Retro mean?
    A: We use the term "Retro" as a synonym for "same brightness as an incandescent bulb". It means nothing more, and nothing less. We have various styles/colors of Retro: bullets (shape/height of an incandescent), standard (shape/height of our standard sized bulbs), frosted, and clear.

Q: Are these real questions, or are you just making them up?
    A: Yes.

Q: Do you have any other sales during the year?
    A: No. Anything is possible, but it hasn't happened thus far.

Q: Is "anything" *really* possible?
    A: No. It's impossible to put a Cadillac up your nose, according to Steve Martin anyway.

Q: How much longer will this FAQ go on?
    A: As long as it has to.

Q: Okay...so it sounds like you've run out of questions, haven't you?
    A: Yes.

#2 4 years ago

Awesome !!

Building a list now

Very nice of you

#3 4 years ago

A: Almost certainly (unless you order a single bulb or something, or you're outside the US).

Can I request something different than Tootsie Rolls (maybe add a drop-down option on the ordering page with a field for "other" if I don't like what you are offering)? Can't stand those, but love your Bit-O-Honey, and don't mind the Smarties occasionally!

Also, what am I supposed to do with all those Comet stickers you keep sending me? I appreciate the thought, but geez how about toning down the self promotion a little bit?

#4 4 years ago

I love tootsie rolls, and can never have enough comet stickers......

#5 4 years ago

Working on an order, what kind of bulbs should I buy for JJP pirates spotlight?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I love tootsie rolls, and can never have enough comet stickers......

Well, I love Tootsie Roll Pops, but when I get to that pseudo-fake chocolate goo in the middle I trash it.

#7 4 years ago

Any deals on 1smd's in sunlight? . I wanted to do the backboxes of 7 Williams /Bally games.

#8 4 years ago

If anyone is making an order in the Lower Mainland shoot me a PM, I'm not sure I will make the $99 for free shipping.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Can I request something different than Tootsie Rolls (maybe at an option on the ordering page)? Can't stand those, but love your Bit-O-Honey, and don't mind the Smarties occasionally!

Put a request in your order notes and we'll do our best. It kind of depends on what we have and how busy we are.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, what am I supposed to do with all those Comet stickers you keep sending me? I appreciate the thought, but geez how about toning down the self promotion a little bit?

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

and can never have enough comet stickers.

Who do we side with?

(You could also ask for no stickers, but our setup doesn't really give us an easy way to have a universal note like that displayed every time we are filling an order).

Quoted from Axl:

Working on an order, what kind of bulbs should I buy for JJP pirates spotlight?

You'd want something 12v. Click on our 12v category and look around in there. Opmax would be the most diffused light that spreads wide, and some of the others will be more harsh and/or focused.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:Any deals on 1smd's in sunlight?

Not on the list of items on sale.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

2SMDs are 49 cents each (when bought in 25 packs or 100 packs)
    SMD Retros are 45 cents each (when bought in 25 packs or 100 packs)
    8SMD flashers are 99 cents each (just the normal flat ones, not towers or flexes)
    Trough lighting kits are $5.49
    Pop bumper discs are $2.99
    Blinking bulbs are 99 cents each

Everything else is regularly priced.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

If anyone is making an order the Lower Mainland shoot me a PM, I'm not sure I will make the $99 for free shipping.

I'm in Texas, does that help (just a short jot south of the border)?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I love Tootsie Roll Pops, but when I get to that pseudo-fake chocolate goo in the middle I trash it.

This is hilarious. That's like saying: I like ice cream sandwiches, except for that cold white goop in the middle.

Quoted from marspinball:

Any deals on 1smd's in sunlight? . I wanted to do the backboxes of 7 Williams /Bally games.

Please refer to question 1 of the above FAQ.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Put a request in your order notes and we'll do our best. It kind of depends on what we have and how busy we are.

Who do we side with?
    (You could also ask for no stickers, but our setup doesn't really give us an easy way to have a universal note like that displayed every time we are filling an order).

You'd want something 12v. Click on our 12v category and look around in there. Opmax would be the most diffused light that spreads wide, and some of the others will be more harsh and/or focused.

In case you couldn't discern my tone, I was attempting to parallel what I interpreted as your attempt at humor. Quite honestly, I'm a little disappointed in you now as I expected a more witty retort to my requests. Guess I'll just have to start buying all of my LEDs from someone who gets me.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Has anyone ever ordered just a single bulb?

I'm half tempted to do it now. . . to see if I still get stickers.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I'm half tempted to do it now. . . to see if I still get stickers.

You may not get a sticker, but you might get punished with a Tootsie Roll.

#16 4 years ago

Hot dog. Shopping cart - here I come.

#17 4 years ago

BTW, how many houses to you have to hit each Halloween to have enough candy to give to your customers for the following year? Also, do you do it yourself, or do you hire the neighborhood children to do your dirty work?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

In case you couldn't discern my tone, I was attempting to parallel what I interpreted as your attempt at humor. Quite honestly, I'm a little disappointed in you now as I expected a more witty retort to my requests. Guess I'll just have to start buying all of my LEDs from someone who gets me.

Damnit, you win this round!

Quoted from TractorDoc:

Yes! This is not unheard of. Our whiteboard says "62 Days Since Last Single Bulb Order", meaning it happened most recently on September 26th. It was a 1SMD blue bayonet bulb, with a clear top. We miss that little guy.

A few years ago, someone wrote in saying that he only needed a single color changing bulb, and asking if we could reduce the shipping cost. He was in Alaska. Sometimes I wonder who he bought that bulb from.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You may not get a sticker, but you might get punished with a Tootsie Roll.

What do you think is the ratio of joy vs rage when people see what candy they got? Is there a giant mountain of uneaten candy spread across the households of US pinheads? Should we open up our store to a market that's thousands of times bigger and just sell candy (that comes with a few free LED bulbs)?

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

BTW, how many houses to you have to hit each Halloween to have enough candy to give to your customers for the following year?

We live near a lot of college kids, so the feds would come knocking if we tried sending out their "candy" to customers.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Hot dog. Shopping cart - here I come.

It's rare, but I have eaten a tiny gummy hotdog out of our candy bin...so you may get your wish.

#20 4 years ago

Ok, if I order 100 smd’s, give 10 to Jake and take back 5, keeping in mind NOBODY invited Charles, how many will Sarah have?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Ok, if I order 100 smd’s, give 10 to Jake and take back 5, keeping in mind NOBODY invited Charles, how many will Sarah have?

You'll have 95...assuming you didn't give any to Charles or Sarah. How many did Sarah start with?!? I'm going to have trouble fitting this into the FAQ.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

You'll have 95...assuming you didn't give any to Charles and Sarah. How many did Sarah start with?!? I'm going to have trouble fitting this into the FAQ.

Damn. You’re good. Ok, I’ll buy from you. ( I was gonna anyways)...

351BA81B-CF11-4FC7-9692-7952ECEAE7BB.gif351BA81B-CF11-4FC7-9692-7952ECEAE7BB.gif
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What do you think is the ratio of joy vs rage when people see what candy they got? Is there a giant mountain of uneaten candy spread across the households of US pinheads? Should we open up our store to a market that's thousands of times bigger and just sell candy (that comes with a few free LED bulbs)

Now that's a business idea I would invest in! Put me down for 51% of the A-shares (Since I inspired you, surely I deserve the right to control the company).

#24 4 years ago

Q: I had my cart all loaded up and ready to go, but now it's empty. How screwed am I?
    A: Not screwed at all (, probably)! PM me or email us with the email address you were using and we may be able to do a "cart recovery" for you.

#26 4 years ago

Grateful for the heads up on cart situations. It's not populating across from my phone (logged in) to my computer (logged in) BUT the advance notice allowed me to go through and add things back. Thanks Ryan!

#27 4 years ago

Just going through the free gift options, I loudly snorted at my screen..thanks:

"..this little bundle of joy will make you the envy everyone with a barely passable fake Australian accent. And why stop at pinball? Carry quarters around in your own personal kangaroo nutsack for use in vending machines, parking meters, or spiral wishing well funnels."

You guys are sick!

#28 4 years ago

Looks like smd retros are on sale. How do these look in Williams /Bally backboxes.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Looks like smd retros are on sale. How do these look in Williams /Bally backboxes.

I haven't actually used them yet personally, but I think the regular sized ones should be great (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/retro-smd-bulbs). What do you normally use?

The caveat is that we don't recommend the Retro Bullets for backboxes. They are taller, and thus closer to the backglass/translite, and thus more likely to create a focused spot of light (where generally you'd want light in the backbox to be evenly spread out).

Edit: Also, always go with frosted in the backbox.

#30 4 years ago

This thread is 100% awesome.

#31 4 years ago

Oh no! I filled my cart while on my office computer (and logged in)—over $1400 worth of stuff. But now logging onto Comet via my phone, my cart is empty...

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Q: I had my cart all loaded up and ready to go, but now it's empty. How screwed am I?
    A: Not screwed at all (, probably)! PM me or email us with the email address you were using and we may be able to do a "cart recovery" for you.

Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Oh no! I filled my cart while on my office computer (and logged in)—over $1400 worth of stuff. But now logging onto Comet via my phone, my cart is empty...

See Above

#33 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #35 4 years ago

Reason #4,372 why Comet pinball is the very best bulb company:

This thread!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

So yeah...it seems like the cart won't follow you across devices. <insert smiley face vomiting icon>. This may be something we can fix for next year, but it's not going to help right now for anyone who found out the hard way. I'm so very sorry for anyone this happened to, but I'm not sure how to properly atone for this.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

So yeah...it seems like the cart won't follow you across devices. &lt;insert smiley face vomiting icon&gt;. This may be something we can fix for next year, but it's not going to help right now for anyone who found out the hard way. I'm so very sorry for anyone this happened to, but I'm not sure how to properly atone for this.

https://apps.shopify.com/remember-my-cart

Note: I haven’t tried this, but I’m developing a Shopify website (I’ve been a Magento dev for many years) and this looks like it would fit the bill.

You can also automate the abandoned cart emails you are sending (to me and others) - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/abandoned-checkouts#automatically-email-a-customer-a-link-to-their-abandoned-checkout

#38 4 years ago

So a customer wants me to add some LEDs to his GI in his barb wire. Ryan do I use the retro bullets? I can’t remember what you said about gottlieb games for the GI. Thanks.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

So yeah...it seems like the cart won't follow you across devices. &lt;insert smiley face vomiting icon&gt;. This may be something we can fix for next year, but it's not going to help right now for anyone who found out the hard way. I'm so very sorry for anyone this happened to, but I'm not sure how to properly atone for this.

I found out the hard way : (

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've typically ordered LEDs for one game at a time and now our 3 year old is conditioned to run over when I say my lights are here to collect the candy. If an order from Pinball Life or Marco comes the look on his face when he realizes they don't send candy will break your heart.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I've typically ordered LEDs for one game at a time and now our 3 year old is conditioned to run over when I say my lights are here to collect the candy. If an order from Pinball Life or Marco comes the look on his face when he realizes they don't send candy will break your heart.

Gotta love you some Pavlov.

#42 4 years ago

Ryan -
    I'm a first time Nube here. I was wondering if you could guide me a bit? The JJP POTC has a very dark area in the Maelstrom part of the playfield. I intend to take your LED strip and mount under the left ramp and use a matrix extension to guide the power wire under the playfield. With the RGB bulbs, I believe I'll need to hook these to a full time power supply area. I cannot find a link on the Light Strip Kit page to the alligator connectors. Would this be the best way to power this mod, and can you please link me to the page for the clips? Thanks!
    Murphy

#43 4 years ago

Ryan: Are both the regular retros and the retro bullets included in the sale?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

https://apps.shopify.com/remember-my-cart

Note: I haven’t tried this, but I’m developing a Shopify website (I’ve been a Magento dev for many years) and this looks like it would fit the bill.

You can also automate the abandoned cart emails you are sending (to me and others) - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/abandoned-checkouts#automatically-email-a-customer-a-link-to-their-abandoned-checkout

These are awesome suggestions, thanks! I think we will try setting up something like Remember My Cart after the sale (as I'm too nervous to mess with things right beforehand).

Quoted from tonyhoff1:

So a customer wants me to add some LEDs to his GI in his barb wire. Ryan do I use the retro bullets? I can’t remember what you said about gottlieb games for the GI. Thanks.

For GI, anything works for any era...it's more a matter of taste. What other games does this customer have? If they're all incandescents, then I would go with Retros. (The Bullets came about from requests from people who really wanted the bulbs to be the same height as incandescents...so the look was the same and for some EMs the sockets are sunken pretty far into the playfield/backbox, so the taller ones are easier to grab). If they're all modern games with LEDs, then I'd go with 2SMD (or 1SMD, if that's what is already in them).

Quoted from grantopia:

This is adorable.

Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Ryan -
    I'm a first time Nube here. I was wondering if you could guide me a bit? The JJP POTC has a very dark area in the Maelstrom part of the playfield. I intend to take your LED strip and mount under the left ramp and use a matrix extension to guide the power wire under the playfield. With the RGB bulbs, I believe I'll need to hook these to a full time power supply area. I cannot find a link on the Light Strip Kit page to the alligator connectors. Would this be the best way to power this mod, and can you please link me to the page for the clips? Thanks!
    Murphy

Thanks for the question Murphy! This is our bad for not making it clear enough. All our strips come with connectors (wedge, bayonet, and alligator clips). But...things are tricky with JJP games. Those use 12v for lighting, rather than the 6.3v most other games use. So, you would need to get a 12v strip (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strip-12v), which only come in shorter versions. And...it can be difficult to find a place to connect to. One simple option is the coin door, though this means you'd need enough wire to run it to the back of the cabinet and then up the playfield (so that it's not in your way when you lift it up). You could replace the coin door light with this: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/quick-connects and then get a few feet of wire: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/matrix-extension-wires

Does that make sense? It's starting to get trickier with new games that use different voltages and custom light boards with surface mounted leds (rather than socketed bulbs).

Quoted from cmack750:

Ryan: Are both the regular retros and the retro bullets included in the sale?

Yes, both styles of SMD Retros (bullet, and standard) are on sale. Really curious how these will do...they're new enough that we don't have a lot to go on in terms of projecting how many will sell during the sale.

#45 4 years ago

When does the sale go live ?

Which Time Zone ??

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Thanks for the question Murphy! This is our bad for not making it clear enough. All our strips come with connectors (wedge, bayonet, and alligator clips). But...things are tricky with JJP games. Those use 12v for lighting, rather than the 6.3v most other games use. So, you would need to get a 12v strip (https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strip-12v), which only come in shorter versions. And...it can be difficult to find a place to connect to. One simple option is the coin door, though this means you'd need enough wire to run it to the back of the cabinet and then up the playfield (so that it's not in your way when you lift it up). You could replace the coin door light with this: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/quick-connects and then get a few feet of wire: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/matrix-extension-wires
    Does that make sense? It's starting to get trickier with new games that use different voltages and custom light boards with surface mounted leds (rather than socketed bulbs).

Makes Sense! I've been lighting Scratch Built Models for years with 9v. I have plenty of wire on hand so this will be a no brainer. I'll connect to the count door and route it accordingly. : )
    I'll be placing my first order tomorrow. : )
    Murph

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

When does the sale go live ?

Which Time Zone ??

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Black Friday Sale: Starts at midnight (eastern time) on Friday morning (ie: a few hours after your Thanksgiving).

That's it...no candy for you! (I realize now that I forgot the word "dinner" at the end of that sentence)

#48 4 years ago

Comet, if I wanted to add some light in the back of my Whirlwind what would you recommend?

Also, what type of bulbs would you use to simulate lightning?

20191128_173434 (resized).jpg20191128_173434 (resized).jpg
    #49 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Comet, if I wanted to add some light in the back of my Whirlwind what would you recommend?

This is what we did on our TZ: 50smd strip (attached to the underside of back part of the cabinet...right near where the top edge of the glass slides back into place), 36 inch extension wire, and a brightness adjuster. You can see what that looks like here:

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Also, what type of bulbs would you use to simulate lightning?

Give me a little more info about what you're trying to do. We have blinking bulbs (and in our Addams Family kit, we used different speeds and brightnesses to give a lightning like effect on the weathervane in the backglass), but I'm not sure that's the right suggestion depending on what you're going for.

#50 4 years ago

Ryan,

Do you sell any leds where the white has a bluish tint? I normally don't like them, but they look good on my TFTC.

Thanks,
    Gabe

There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-pinball-black-friday-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.