4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by isJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I'm looking for some spotlights and have previously used the Comet 5SMD with decent luck. They do a pretty good job, but when getting ready to order today, I saw the Opmax. Has anyone used them as spotlights? They don't have a picture of them being used as a spotlight, so I thought I would ask.

I was curious as to the difference in brightness / spread compared to the 5SMD.

#2 4 years ago

Opmax sends out a much wider, and further beam,
    others, 4 SMD, 2 SMD, are for a shorter distance.

You might not see any difference if its used within a few inches....overkill, but
    sling mounted Op-Max will outperform across the middle of the play field,
    better than anything else.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Opmax sends out a much wider, and further beam,
    others, 4 SMD, 2 SMD, are for a shorter distance.
    You might not see any difference if its used within a few inches....overkill, but
    sling mounted Op-Max will outperform across the middle of the play field,
    better than anything else.

Thanks Art. That's what I'm looking for is the sling mounted spotlight. Based on your recommendation, I'll go with the Opmax. Now just another $16 for free shipping....

#4 4 years ago

I always recommended people have 1 or 2 bulbs for spots, and the same for GI, just to test on any game.
    OpMax Gi in the back of a game can be phenomenal, or under a dark ramp, like Roadshow 2 bulbs light everything!
    Spots, I use for some, not all games.....

#5 4 years ago

OpMax was really great for a spot for me in my Bally Atlantis. It is so bright I am able to use the other spotlight to tie in to the alternate GI (red) when multiball triggers. I have considered getting some more just for spots -- really great lights.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-opmax-vs-5smd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.