Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE502DDC-F5CA-404F-8FC8-B50D8CBBA1AA (resized).png
    B208578E-D0E7-4E02-9E5F-385070F744C1 (resized).jpeg
    20200716_225339.jpg
    20200714_230751.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Just saw Neowise tonight. Anyone else?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/07/13/comet-neowise-night-sky/

It was hard to find, but once I found it, it was pretty magnificent. I found it through binoculars. It was faint but had a very large tail. Once I found it, I could also see it with my naked eye, though it was much fainter. It is supposed to gradually brighten and get more prominent. Be on the lookout!

#2 3 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I've been trying to but I think the tree line keeps blocking it. I'd really like to see it!!

I believe it will rise higher in the sky as the week goes on. I saw it around 15-20 degrees above the horizon. I had to go to a pretty open area to see it.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll be taking the telescopes out over the next few nights to see if I can see it.

I’m not sure if it is visible that far south yet. I thought it was going to be a few days before you could see it in the southern half of the country but I could be wrong.

Quoted from Bax1:

looks like next clear day I will need to take a 20 min drive to a huge hill and i should be able to see the horizon better. it is north west correct?

Yes. Right now it is below and to the right of the Big Dipper. Though, over the next few days it is supposed to move up and to the left of the Big Dipper.

There’s a online app mentioned in the WP article I cited that is supposed to tell you how best to see it from your location, but I couldn’t get it to work.

#22 3 years ago

Going to try to see it again tonight. Just found this visual which may be helpful for locating it as it moves from day to day. Though, I must say, when I first saw it a few days ago, I thought it was much more to the right of the dipper. I could be wrong or maybe I wasn’t placing things properly.

It won’t be back again for 6,800 years, so unless you plan to wait, try to see it now.

B208578E-D0E7-4E02-9E5F-385070F744C1 (resized).jpegB208578E-D0E7-4E02-9E5F-385070F744C1 (resized).jpeg

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Viewed it the last 3 nights. Looked much better through binoculars than through a telescope. The tail was more pronounced with binos. Amazing that anyone can see it with their eyes, but young eyes are much better than older ones.
    Wolfmancat: I like that NVG monocular.

My mid-40ish eyes could see it but just barely. And only when I knew exactly where it was having seen it through binoculars.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-neowise?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.